Creep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Creep Reviews

July 4, 2016
A movie so stupid in every way possible that it is really hard to take it any seriously, with a nonsensical plot, characters who behave like idiots all the time (to the point that you will want to punch the director in the face) and a ridiculous villain without any discernible motivation.
½ June 3, 2016
If in terms of train-based horror, the best I've seen is Midnight Meat Train, and the worst I've seen is Snakes on a Train, then Creep would be somewhere between the two, but closer to the former than the latter.
March 31, 2016
Creep was one of those half and half films where the first part was strong and then it dropped it off after the midpoint. The main character was a girl trapped in the subway for the night and the few people down there with her started dying off and there was a good amount of blood,guts and gore. It was creepy because you didn't really see the creature and it left you curious and wondering and a little on edge. Once the "creep" was revealed, it took a lot away from the film. He was not that scaring looking at all and at times he was involved in hand to hand combat and it really brought him down to earth which you don't want from a horror movie like this. There were still a few tense chase moments but in the end they would have been better off showing less of the monster and focusing more on the subtle scares and tense atmosphere. Creep isn't horrible but it could have been a lot better with a few changes.
March 12, 2016
This is vastly superior to many horrors released in this year and surrounding. It's actually quite a believable concept. Perhaps that's because it's set at Charring Cross and I've ventured there many a time. The concept is simple- be cautious of what's hidden in the dark. A simple spookfest with believable characters but, after the big reveal of the villain, it's a little spoofy. An amalgamation of a LOTR orc and Bruce Forsyth is responsible for the kidnaps and murders of innocent commuters... it's a bit lacking in this area.
½ February 12, 2016
This is a turd that I watched by accident. Not a very good horror film.
½ December 26, 2015
Kind of gross more than it is scary.
½ November 7, 2015
So that was incredibly bad...
November 1, 2015
A horror movie that only gets going for the main character's own stupidity.
July 29, 2015
Horror that does not even work as a fun gory slasher film.
½ July 29, 2015
Last time I saw Creep was some years ago. I remembered Creep as a very well horror movie. But now, after all these years, I did not enjoy it as much that I though I would. It still has it creeps but it is just not that scary. I probably had rated the movie better for some years ago.
July 19, 2015
lame sauce..the most interesting part was the wolf having sex with his wife..other than that lame sauce
½ May 25, 2015
The performances are good, particularly Potente, who avoids scream queen clichés by making her character surprisingly unlikeable - Kate is rude and arrogant in her early scenes and the fact that she's German is, of course, a coincidence. Potente seems a bit miscast here, but handles it well, as do the rest of the actors, although Harris' "creep" is rather goofy, really. But by the time we see him the film has us in its grip with its relentless pacing and knowing script. There are at least two scenes of gratuitous gore that add nothing at all to the narrative. And when the film goes silly at the end, it goes very silly indeed, with little coincidences and unlikely bits of horror-movie business that undermine the clever logic of the film's first two-thirds. As far as movie monsters go, the Creep isn't bad - though it doesn't entirely make sense that he's as murderous as he is, particularly in light of certain revelations regarding his origins. Though Creep doesn't re-invent the slasher flick by any stretch of the imagination, it's a fairly well-made variation on the genre that should please gorehounds. Creep definitely has its moments and it remains an enjoyable late-night horror flick, despite its flaws. There's nothing terribly original or even scary about Creep and Christopher Smith's screenplay is crammed with some absolutely atrocious dialogue - and yet as a sort of Halloween clone set underground, the film works.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
½ February 28, 2015
Mediocre horror set in the London Underground. Basically a poor mans The Descent.
May 20, 2014
Completely irrelevant and "out there", but an enjoyable little movie as long as you aren't looking for something too serious.
½ December 13, 2013
Brit horror successfully marries suspense and gore to create a more than decent movie.

Franka Potente is Kate, a socialite on her way to a party in London where George Clooney (Yes really) is believed to be hanging at and where she will attempt to seduce him (Yup, I'm not kidding).

However, she falls asleep at the subway station and misses the last train, leaving her trapped inside. Jeremy Sheffield's Guy is pursuing her though, and when a train finally arrives (Yes, the logic's already disintegrating), he appears out of nowhere and tries to rape her. Unfortunately for him, there is a real killer in the underground who drags him off her and wounds him fatally.

The rest of the movie is killer-pursues-Kate.

Quite frankly the logic in this one was never meant to be particularly strong. It's not even obvious that she fell asleep while waiting for the train, and instead it could have been mindgames. And indeed, mindgames seem to be the only explanation for some of the slightly ludicrous events which occur in the first half.

Nonetheless, this movie is about running away from the bad guy, whose appearance and identity imply he's 'not normal' (Are they ever), and to this end the film does a decent enough job. Once the bizarre first half hour of silliness is past, it is simple enough fare, with more than a hint of severe gore.

There's little more that can be said, such is the basic nature of this, but if you accept the intrinsic daftness of some of it, you'll get a reasonable kick out it if you like the genre.

Seen worse.
November 21, 2013
This film is enough to make you not want to go on the tube. I remember the first time I watched it was just before going to London, the late night tube was scary lol. Pretty good British horror :)
DrStrangeblog
½ November 18, 2013
Pre-movie prediction: "Probably scheiss but a thriller starring Franka Potente might be worth a look."

Indeed, Franka did her job by carrying this underground horror (literally for you Brits as this takes place within London's subway tunnels) for the first hour. The preoccupying interactions among the cast raise it above the typical slasher expectation. Then it goes own the tube (ha!) once we're introduced to the killer who has the weakest backstory of any horror movie monster in history. No exaggeration! Writer/director Christopher Smith must've banged his head against his keyboard for weeks trying to explain this thing's existence until he finally said, "Fuck it! Some kind of medical mistake! I don't care, I'm done!" Sometimes if you can't think of a good reason, you should simply not ask the question; worked for High Tension and Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example.

Better than I expected with a couple good jolts but still not worth recommending, except perhaps to Franka fans.
½ November 9, 2013
Creep (Christopher Smith, 2004)

I keep reviewing Christopher Smith movies, and I keep reviewing them favorably, though it has always seemed to me that just under the surface there's a truly great filmmaker straining to get out, while Smith's current output still ranges from good to firm. Creep, his debut feature, is ironically the last of the four he has directed at the time of this writing (April 2013) that I've sat down and watched. And of the four, Creep may be the one that comes closest to greatness, though Black Death did give it a run for its money.

Creep is the story of Kate (Lola Rennt's Franka Potente), a bored partygoer in London who heads off to another party via the subway-but falls asleep on the platform on the way to party #2, waking up only after the station has been shut down for the night. She meets a few of the station's otherwise-homeless denizens and fights off another alumnus of the party she'd just come from (The Children's Jeremy Sheffield) (and here's plot hole #1-would this guy, drunk and drugged up, have really hung around the platform that long waiting for her to wake up, or would he have just taken advantage of the situation when she passed out?) before things get really interesting. And by "interesting" I mean "people start dying and once again Franka Potente finds herself running for her life in a movie."

It all sounds like it's been done before. And trust me, it has, but as I have said a number of times before, Smith's specialty is taking tired plots and giving them legs. It helps that Smith, here, also assembled a monster cast, including Paul Rattray (Max), the late Ken Campbell (A Fish Called Wanda), Vas Blackwood (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels), Kelly Scott (Atonement), and Sean Harris (The Discovery of Heaven) in principal roles. Some were already established and some were on their way up-the casting of Harris was especially prescient, it turns out-but all bring their A games to the table, which is part of what makes this flick so much fun to watch. The other part is seeing all these pieces we've seen dozens of times before (and many times since-I'm convinced that both the filmmakers on the Canadian flick End of the Line and the game designers for Hellgate: London are both huge group fans of Creep) put together in interesting, if not unique, ways. (Smith seems to have honed that part of his craft as he went along.) It's nothing you haven't seen before, but I had a fun time with it; monster-movie fans could do a lot worse than checking this one out. *** 1/2
November 5, 2013
Nothing is left to the imagination with very gruesome scenes, but it is an exciting horror film, which is fast-paced and set in one of my favourite places, the London Underground. At under 90 minutes long, it moves at a fast pace and leaves you wanting more.
November 3, 2013
A fantastic film with a simple plot, an empty locked up underground station, a stalker, few night workers, and some waifs and strays. They work their way through a labyrinth of passages, into sewers, closed up stations and old tunnels that were used for secret medical experiments. Not a particularly frightening film but an entertaining one.