Mystery of the Nile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystery of the Nile Reviews

December 10, 2011
Recommended by Alison P.
August 5, 2011
Don't be mislead. This isn't a documentary about any kind of mystery. It neither explores the mysterious history nor the present day mysteries of the Nile. It instead follows an American yokel and a group of inexperienced kayakers as they travel the nile from Ethiopia to the Mediteranean. The sappy narration weeps personal triumphs and touristy descriptions in what should have been a very serious and thoughtful journey. It features all the usual racist American stand-by's too, like whistful celebrations of Christian achievements along the Nile, while the Sudan is described as a place "veiled under the cloak of Islam." Everywhere they go, what should be written on the T-Shirt of every American tourist, "don't mind us... we're just here to ruin everything" seems blared out in the awkward silences spent trying to figure out how many cheeseburgers you could buy with the money some people make in a year.

It's a celebration of seven people, not of the Nile. It barely explores the river itself for that matter, preferring to skip 70 days along the journey to take you to a scene of a nifty camel ride they took to see the Christian ruins. And it's not a mystery... unless of course the mystery is: why the hell were THESE the people chosen to navigate the Nile from source to delta??

My favorite part, and I'm paraphrasing: "A wise river-boat captain told us we'd never cross _ Lake. So two of us decided to separate from our group on that lake and try to cross it at night. We nearly died! Feel Sorry for us! I have Malaria now!" Hmmm... maybe respecting the advice of these "Mosloms" might be a good thing on this trip. But I guess you have a GPS and a nice chunk of funding to keep you insulated, you dumb, hippie-bred, feel-good, milk-and-cookies-and-a-snuggle-with-the-teddy-bear fool. I hope you each came home and all died of plague.
July 20, 2010
The music is so good.
½ February 6, 2010
It is more like a scripted movie than a documentary...but after all, it has nice scenery to watch.
December 3, 2009
Absolutely breathtaking, especially airplane shots, these were the first people in history to do this and with a limited crew this movie deserves ALOT more than 67% or 60%, great film
July 9, 2008
Recommended by Alison P.
July 8, 2008
I thought this film was totally neato. I felt that the cast really made the dangers of the Nile real for the audience, including close encounters with hippos, crocodiles, wild rapids and drowning.

A picturesque view of Africa's revered waterway.
November 8, 2007
my sister and i like to watch this when we are bored....
November 3, 2007
reduced price at LASM theater on first Sunday of the month -
September 27, 2007
An IMAX favorite. Very exciting and beautiful.!
½ July 11, 2007
Great water scenes, lots of rafting not enough of the kayaker though!! Good sights and views of Egypt.
July 5, 2007
really not interested
March 3, 2007
saw it at IMAX in Regina, SK....was awesome!
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this