The Grace Lee Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grace Lee Project Reviews

½ November 20, 2009
More than a little pretentious as a concept, but I really enjoyed two of the individual stories (the ones about the Asian Black activist and the woman who helped her domestically abused friend). There didn't seem like the filmmaker had much to say other than "there's a lot of Grace Lees" so that her observations and everything seemed really scatterbrained.
½ December 25, 2008
Here?s another self-obsessed Asian-American female videomaker looking for some deeper sense of identity and worth. Why yes, of course she narrates with plenty of self-reflection and obvious observations, and yes, they are guaranteed to be pointless and boring. Puke. Oh yeah, and then she complains about some stereotypes and tries to disprove them. I will admit she does find two mildly interesting characters ? a near-deaf mom and an old civil rights activist. These two subjects showed some passion and disregarded preconceived notions of Grace Lees. They worked for what they believed in and didn?t seem to care what anyone else thought of them. If only these segments were included, the video would have been tolerable and maybe kind of good. It was hard to watch, and even the two good characters didn?t really teach me anything ? they were just more likable than anyone else involved with the project.
December 14, 2008
December 10, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
½ November 14, 2008
Cute and fun little documentary about the common asian name Grace Lee:)
November 1, 2008
Much better than I expected. The jesus freak girl kind of spooked me, but I think she would be cool to know IRL.
October 17, 2008
I watched this film last night. It is a relatively by-the-book exploration of identity and prevailing cultural stereotypes of Asian American women (predominately in the United States). I was most struck by the overwhelming presence of christianity and Grace Kelly in the film, which does seem to reinforce the arguments of Richard Dyer and others as to the cultural hegemony of whiteness in the form of the pure white woman. In talking with the filmmaker after the screening, she seemed just as surprised by these two themes as I was, but believed that they were as much generational as anything else. I can understand this, but I think that it also points to a dominant ideological paradigm whereby white women are the epitome to which all other non-white women are implicitly directed to emulate, lest they be considered "abnormal." I eagerly anticipate the feature length documentary on Grace Lee Boggs.
½ May 8, 2008
Interesting, humorous, revealing.
February 8, 2008
I really liked this documentary. I was flipping through the channels and this came on. I was really interesting - no joke.
November 13, 2007
If you had any idea how many David Dicks there are out there ... you'd understand why I added the initials.
½ July 23, 2007
Worth watching if you like docs.
June 7, 2007
I don't really understand why this has a low flixster rating. I thought it was very insightful and humorous into the nature of personal identity in face of generalization. I also felt that this was one of the most honest documentaries i've seen; especially compared to recent, heavily biased ones.
½ February 25, 2007
An amusing and touching little doc.