The Promise (Master of Crimson Armor) (Wu ji) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Promise (Master of Crimson Armor) (Wu ji) Reviews

½ February 10, 2015
I am not sure why i am still renting these chinese saga/epic films, after Hero/Flying Daggers, there hasn't been any good one.

This one might be the worst of them all, the action often idiotic, weaponry fake, plot mediocre, and cgi unimpressive.

Skip this.
December 24, 2012
Aside from Sanada-san, snore...
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
November 22, 2012
was goood mmovie i loved it
October 24, 2012
Too much stupid dramas visual effect abused like crazy
October 7, 2012
An epic story, visually very impressive, not surprising considering it is supposedly one of the most expensive movies ever made in China. There is not much character development though. Qingchen made a promise that meant she would always lose any man that loved her; we did not get to experience any of the torment that would go with such a deal. The love story was shallow: love being based on meeting someone for a few minutes. Not to be taken too seriously, it can be enjoyed as a fairy tale.
September 1, 2012
an astonishingly beautiful chinese fairytale. the first film i've cried watching in a long time.
July 29, 2012
Very disappointing from a director of Kaige's achievements. The CG is inexplicably bad. Slow and uninteresting.
½ July 15, 2012
Why such a low rating? It's more entertaining that Pulp bloody Fiction.Ok, you have to suspend your belief in what's possible - but c'mon this is fantasy. The first half of this film is pretty amazing. Visually it's captivating, and fascinating. It does lose it's charm and the story slows, but no one can say this isn't at least a Good film. The camera work is superb, and the characters are interesting. It went down from a great film because the relentless visuals and story didn't impact as much as in the first half (maybe some people would say the money was used in the first hour) - but at times 'The Promise' has an epic feel....well worth seeing in my opinion.
½ July 7, 2012
The Promise is an over-wrought and laughably goofy film, an empty and pale imitation of the far better films that have gone on before it.
½ July 3, 2012
this film has everything and its never dull
June 29, 2012
looks like it mite b kool
June 27, 2012
I watched this movie with great pleasure and interest. The beauty of film is on specific elements of Asia. Landscapes with tree in bloom, dancing spirits and armor are observed. Written and directed film is well made. It was created an atmosphere of mystery and beauty that touches. Like the scene where the main heroes of the game is reflected in the mirror. Interpretation of actors is complex and the action takes place smoothy and quickly. The ending is revealed as a fundamental truth and hope is on the ability of the hero goes back in time. I love this movie and highly recommend it.
½ June 2, 2012
Visually looks beautiful. The script isn't so good and the casting really failed. The fight scenes were stunning though.
½ February 13, 2012
Not Hero or Curse Of The Golden Flower; yes awful fantasy.
½ February 7, 2012
Equivalent to 8 or 9/10.. would have been so much better instead of Americanizing by cutting 20mins of scenes to JUST LEAVE THEM IN! Having watched them it makes so much more sense. :)
½ January 15, 2012
Beautifully filmed mythic morality tale spoiled by poor continuity.
January 10, 2012
I've always been ambivalent of Chen Kaige's movies. Farewell My Concubine was so-so, The Emperor and the Assassin was OK but flawed, this one just sucks.
December 5, 2011
nonsense but beautiful
September 21, 2011
When a movie is this beautiful to look at, I don't mind if the story makes little sense and one of the actors' voices sounds like a bad Sean Connery impression. Great colorful fantasy escape.