The Promise (Master of Crimson Armor) (Wu ji) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Promise (Master of Crimson Armor) (Wu ji) Reviews

garyX
August 9, 2011
A famous and well respected general and his faithful slave vie for the affections of a beautiful princess while battling the evil ruler of their land. Inevitably trying to ape the epic scale and poetry of the likes of Crouching Tiger or Hero, The Promise is actually just a dim-witted fairy tale populated with badly acted cartoon characters who spout inane fortune cookie platitudes at one another. Visually, the costume design is as attractive as you'd expect but there's also some very dodgy set design and an overuse of awful, cheap looking CGI. There is no narrative flow or even logic to the story and Kaige Chen is clearly just a hack Michael Bay wannabe, making this stir-fried turkey one of the worst examples of the Americanization of Asian cinema I've yet seen. Avoid.
½ July 15, 2011
Kaige has brought us another gem from his direction.. a must see for all film fans out of the box!
½ June 10, 2011
half a star for the first 7 minutes of the movies. Awful
June 7, 2011
This is one of the most beautiful movies i have ever seen...but at times it gets boring...i've expected much more action..but, that's just me..:)
½ May 19, 2011
A movie broken in two: the second half degenerates toward that excess of melò often so loved by chinese popular taste; but the first half revel deliciously in comic, cartooney action. While on the run, a cheesy great fable. Great costumes too: honoured mention for the F*ck Sceptre.
½ May 12, 2011
this film is underrated! is not as bad as ppl make out to be
½ May 7, 2011
Weirdly Fun and sometimes funny, it works as fairytale, where nothing is realistic but you cannot stop watching and it gets better as it goes and as you get used to the film's style.
April 13, 2011
Nay, not very impressed. It tries to turn a martial arts film into a weird fantasy story bout a princess with a spell put on her. It was too artsy, and for a martial arts film, which is spose to be artsy, it felt overpowering in that regard. Dunno, really wasn't expecting that. And the action scenes were only 'just ok', nothing jumped out at me looking magnificent, it had all been done before.
April 7, 2011
I don't know why this movie wasn't more popular.. I loved it the first time I saw it and loved it More the 2nd time! Fantastic look to it, great acting, really neat unusual story.. Just a Terrific move from one of my top 3 Chinese directors.
½ February 20, 2011
Score breakdown by categories :
*arranged according to level of relevance to this film*

Story 2/5

Replayability 3/5
½ February 18, 2011
Such a lovely movie!
½ February 18, 2011
could have een good... if it had a screenplay!!!
December 30, 2010
Wonderful Movie, Beautiful *O*
½ October 29, 2010
Arte Visual como ninguno!!!
October 18, 2010
A chinese fable on the eternal battle between good and evil. It has some poetic moments but the special effects are kind of simple (yet ambitious).
September 12, 2010
Promesse non mantenute. Se ne parla nel film, e il film stesso ne è un buon esempio.
Oddio, mio concubino.
½ August 29, 2010
bad story line lousy cgi graphics. nice costume design thou
½ August 11, 2010
This has some pretty good visuals, but its story was pretty incoherent, and unintentionally funny on some occasions; at its worst, it was a pretty boring film that didn't engage my interest past the visuals. I'd say whatever "promise" this movie had was not kept.
½ August 3, 2010
Not Hero or Curse Of The Golden Flower; yes awful fantasy.