Hoodwinked - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hoodwinked Reviews

½ October 5, 2015
Despite its poor animation and sometimes deliberately dumb feel, Hoodwinked also has an entertaining voice cast and some genuine wit and cleverness.
½ September 14, 2015
Shrek it aint though that is what it longs to be.
½ September 6, 2015
I've always loved this movie. It makes me laugh for reasons both good and bad. I don't care what anyone says: if you don't think this is a good film, "You've been Hoodwinked, baby!"
August 27, 2015
It's okay for kids and torture for older viewers.
August 21, 2015
No real funny or smart humor, and the randomness just makes it more stupid. A definite waste of time for anyone looking for a real movie with a better script and better comedy.
½ August 13, 2015
this movie is like sherk to alot of people It came out of the blue and just whoa I feel it doesn't get a lot of credit though.
August 12, 2015
This was one of the most fun and funniest animated movies I have seen in a long time. I loved the different take on the little Red Riding Hood story and the Rashoman take on how to find the true villain.
August 9, 2015
Super nuts and absurd.
½ August 5, 2015
ok so the graphics need some improving alot, but the story of the film is just awesome. I mean who would mix up fairy tales with crime scene. very clever
August 2, 2015
I think it's ugly looking and unoriginal compared to the release of Shrek.
July 12, 2015
"Hoodwinked" is a family-focused computer animated film that came out as "Shrek" made the fairy tale genre in vogue. Do not be misled by this low rating - the film far exceeded my expectations. Like the critics, I enjoyed the storytelling concept that was out of the box for a family film but had trouble getting over the animation. This film was produced on a low budget and it really shows through the outsourced Philippines animation that resembles plastic stop-motion animation more than realistic CGI. Even as short clips played during the DVD selection menu, a tone of "cheesy kids movie" was set. Compared to edgier family movies like "Shrek," this one is squeaky clean but creates interest through its non-linear storytelling technique. The story is told by each of the four main characters (Red Riding Hood, the Wolf, the Woodsman, and Granny) with new details shifting our perspective with each telling. It is a rather fun way to tell the story, especially once you discover which character is the villain, and there are good comedic moments. There are also some overly cheesy departures, particularly the extreme sports aspect that will excite kids but make adults roll their eyes. I appreciated the cast of voice actors, particularly Anne Hathaway as Red and Patrick Warburton as the Wolf - Warburton is hilarious regardless of the character or circumstance. Other big names dot the cast but it actually hurts the film, creating a disconnect between the expectation of a major studio film and the disappointing appearance. "Hoodwinked" was not written for adults but will keep them entertained through its unique storytelling.
½ July 11, 2015
This is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I have always liked it since I first saw it when I was young and could always find it fun when I rewatched it. Seeing it again more recently, however, made me realize some of its flaws. For one, the animation looks bad. It has an overall cheap appearance, with very little detail and stiff movements. It never bothered me before, but it sticks out to me now. It also has some lazy storytelling in regards to the whole evil plot.

All of that doesn't detract from its positive qualities. It has a great all-star cast who all give great performances, bringing the characters to life. Not a single actor doesn't do a fantastic job. The script is weighed down with some outlying corny lines and awkward phrasing, but it all sounds fine coming from the actors. The little subplots that they each have are interesting and don't get old despite repeating a lot of events. That can easily keep me entertained. It all leads up to an unsatisfying finale that ends with a blatant sequel-bait, but I digress. I still find the whole movie to be a lot of fun.
½ July 10, 2015
Catchy music and surprisingly clever humour subvert the limited budget and animation quality.
June 24, 2015
Hoodwinked is a poor excuse for a Shrek ripoff, bringing horribly animated fairy tale figures into a crime scene, producing uninteresting backstories and delving into careless unfunny characters.
Hoodwinked follows the crime scene of who stole the priceless goodies - Little Red Riding Hood, Granny, The Wolf, and an idiotic lumberjack. We delve into how they got themselves into the situation they're in and why they're such awfully done characters.
Hoodwinked does a poor job at replicating Shrek's success, both at the fairy tale element and never giving up as a franchise. Its characters are bland and unfunny (I'm mainly talking about the hyperactive squirrel used as the main comedic element) and its animation is noticably cheap and unprofessional, with B-listers (and some D-listers) headlining the cast. Hoodwinked's biggest mystery is why it was made, and why it wouldn't give up for a second film...
½ June 14, 2015
"Hoodwinked" is a fairy tale that is almost as clever as "Shrek," but suffers from poor animation and wastes its talented cast along with it.
½ June 6, 2015
An enjoyable spoof of the classic fairy tale.
May 18, 2015
One of the better animated films of today.
May 18, 2015
this movie was HILARIOUS! little subtleties are there that you can't really appreciate till you watch it a second time. Twitchy? Priceless. great movie. :)
½ April 14, 2015
67% on my Tomatometer.
April 10, 2015
The animation is a mess, but the story is hilarious.