Why We Fight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Why We Fight Reviews

February 7, 2016
Why does America always fight? Because it's good business.
½ October 9, 2015
A must-see documentary. Truly revealing.
May 26, 2014
Overly ambitious. A mish mash of anti war messages that doesn't coherently come together. To over simplify the reasons and motives for war is slightly absurd. The quotes and analysis are hand picked conveniently, with no context which is a critique they use against the Iraq doctrine. At its centre is a simplistic exposť of the Iraq War which is then expanded out into a determination that the military industrial complex can be blamed for all wars that the US has engaged in. The suggestion that the US entered Chad and Yugoslavia in an attempt to build empire and/or to fulfil military contracts is far fetched. Every war has its own reasons and some of them may well be nefarious, see Taxi to the Dark Side for a truly revealing insight into some aspects of Iraq/Afghanistan. This documentary really lacks focus and sadly because of that some promising seeds that it plants are never able to grow into a detailed, hard hitting analysis that draw significant conclusions. The film offers no solutions, its just a left leaning expression of angst about wars and capitalism which is a shame because it briefly highlights genuine concerns but never joins the dots sufficiently to explain how people within the system should be held to account to bring about change.
½ January 6, 2014
A film that covers a wide array of topics about the reasons Why We (meaning Americans) Fight in the wars that we do, but this film could be considered a great overview of the reasons for the War on Terror. Writer/director Eugene Jarecki does a masterful job of researching and portraying decades of history about the military industrial complex. If he had more time, I'm sure the director could have gone into even more detail, but this film serves as a great overview of the concepts in the film. It might be biased, but if your views line up with Jarecki's you will find this documentary fascinating.
June 1, 2013
Why We Fight discusses America's need to defend the world through war. This is a very interesting documentary that features great interviews by Gore Vidal, John McCain and others on why the US is the only Superpower in the world. This is a powerful film that does make you think and gives you important answers. I found this film to be very good at giving us the facts and it goes in depth with the facts. Although some may not be interested in the subject, those who are should give this film a viewing. The film covers many aspects of why the US uses its military to control and make sure peaces reigns in the world. Many aspect are covered, everything from the Cold War to the war in Iraq. We get to see why the US government tries to concentrate more on its defense than other serious issues. Eisenhower was the first to oppose an extensive National Security policy and warned about the extensive Military industrial complex. We get to understand why the US polices the world and spends more on defense than other nation. This is quite shocking, as you can imagine what other countries spend their budget on. The documentary takes a look at how Military Corporations makes money off the government and it is quite interesting at how all the contractors bid for the biggest contracts for new military hardware. Why We Fight takes an unbiased look at all this, and it's quite effective in giving us both sides of the argument. This is a smartly crafted documentary that is shocking and very interesting from beginning to end.
April 9, 2013
Sadly the views in this matched my own, he testimonials from the people interviewed were convincing and balanced. Eisenhower's words were probably the most empowering part of the movie. This is a must see.
April 4, 2013
This is an excellent expose on the ever manipulative MIC.
½ March 14, 2013
An important documentary that all americans should see. Showed both sides well and is a great eye opener. Great shots nice to look at.
½ March 6, 2013
An Interesting Concept that Was Ruined by a Meandering and Unclear Concise Focus and Obvious Liberal Leanings. Could Have Been So Much More.
½ March 2, 2013
Half of the documentary is about the mishandling of the Iraq war, and the other is a attempted in-depth analysis of the terrifying alliance between the Department of Defense and Private Military Contractors. I understand that the two are related, but the way its put together here is a bit scattered.
½ February 10, 2013
Great documentary, regardless of your political inclination. Interesting insight into war tactics, the relation between corporations and war, the military-industrial complex, PR/communications, and how public perception is molded and then snowballs.
January 23, 2013
An important Movie. everyone should see this.
January 16, 2013
Some seriously good information for the documentary inclined. Yet another film that makes me want to leave the USA screaming...
December 28, 2012
Great message, more people should see this film. My respect increased for President Eisenhower after seeing and buying this DVD.
December 27, 2012
I am a cynical bastard, so this movie re-enforces everything I already believe.
November 23, 2012
The Military Industrial Complex explained in no uncertain terms. Compelling, educational, disturbing and enlightening. Top Banana.
November 18, 2012
Anybody who says 'talking heads do not a documentary make' clearly haven't seen this award winning documentary about the rationale for American geo-political colonialism
October 8, 2012
have not heard of it
August 13, 2012
Can't say I have heard of it lol
½ July 8, 2012
Similar to Michael Moore's films but not as preachy.