Clean Reviews

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Nov 29, 2017

Maggie Cheung is impressive in this film, which showcases her as a serious actor and woman of the world, as she seamlessly speaks English, French, and Cantonese (and even sings). Nick Nolte turns in a fine performance as well. Unfortunately, I found the script to this story of redemption from drugs not as strong as their acting, often wandering, and Olivier Assayas's direction to plod along. I confess that addiction movies are harder for me to enjoy to begin with. The musical performances and soundtrack for such a film could have been better showcased, which, while I suppose wasn't the point of the movie, would have made it more entertaining. I did like the cinematography and panoramic shots that Eric Gautier gave us, but wouldn't recommend this movie without reservations.

• Nov 11, 2016

A Low-Budget & Overlooked Gem. A Good Soundtrack & Solid Performance By The Lead Both Add Weight To This Look Inside Grief & Loss. Nolte Gives It His Genuine Best With What I Gather Is Some First Hand Experience He Can Go From Given His Own Life Was A Little Mixed Up Around The Time This Was Made. It Is A Little Slow At Times But It Doesn't Shy Away From The Inevitable Tests On The Self, Family & Overall Consequences Of The Drug Scene.

• Apr 02, 2016

impressive actresses.

impressive actresses.

• Feb 13, 2014

one of my favorite Nick Nolte performances

one of my favorite Nick Nolte performances

• Dec 31, 2013

Strong drama about a woaman trying to reconstruct herself after years of being using drugs. Heartbreaking.

• Jul 05, 2013

3.5/5 --- Three languages in one film [English, French, Cantonese], a film that's intelligently made with quiet understated but impact full scenes about how a moment[s] in one's life can change our future and ourselves. Maggie Cheung is a tour de force in this film as a hard-shelled but tender person/character struggling along to do the right thing. Nick Nolte is the best I've seen him in years...or perhaps ever. Change is possible of you want t enough :) *I couldn't connect emotionally otherwise might've been a 4, had a migraine...

• Aug 14, 2012

A very interesting movie.

A very interesting movie.

• Jeffrey M Super Reviewer
    Jun 15, 2012

Clean works as a thoughtful, smart, and realistic look at drug abuse and the ramifications from it. It features a powerful and nuanced performance by Maggie Cheung and Nick Nolte, albeit in a similar role for him. It doesn't opt for cliched resolutions or answers, but is really quite authentic. At the same time, the film does have an overly slow pace, which borders on meandering, and does seem to occasionally lose focus, at first attempting to introduce various subplots, but never quite paying them off. Still, an effective drama marked by strong acting. 3.5/5 Stars

• Apr 10, 2012

Maggie Cheung is stellar and should have at minimum received an Oscar nod. Powerful and realistic vision of that fall from grace of addiction and redemption.

• Apr 01, 2012

Spectacular performance of Cheung and its clear that she is not only the muse of Wong Kar-wai but Assayas as well.