The Ape - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ape Reviews

April 27, 2014
weird trippy little movie, but enjoyable.
September 2, 2012
Sorry , allready forgot it !
½ March 6, 2012
good movie for his first directed...but not his best acting...or even a good plot.
½ June 15, 2011
It wasn't interesting at all.
April 25, 2010
Once upon a time I used to really really like James Franco... wait... that was only 90 minutes ago!!! I'd get if that was only an acting job to pay for his "genius" mind in Uni... but writing and directing "THIS" - I don't get. One of the most boring, unfunny, idiotic movies I've seen. Based on Dostoevsky's quotes or something, I bet he rolled in his grave. Jeez.
½ February 12, 2010
A low budget Indie directed/written/executive produced/starring by James Franco. A nice try, some points/punches made although not that astounding overall.
July 17, 2009
Deeply unfunny and flawed so completely it's tough to believe that anyone could actually develop the concept beyond an embarrassing short story from middle school. It's not compelling in any way. Though Franco does a passable job acting, the writing makes him seem like an alien in disguise trying to make other humans believe he is a normal sexual creature, best exemplified by the way he reacts to his co-worker chastising him for a sexual dalliance. The bizarreness of this film's inability to work is on par with 'Plan 9 From Outer Space', a comparison that is helped greatly by the awkward musical cues and stupidly unnecessary Dostoevsky quotes book-ending each segment. Franco's dynamic with the eponymous ape is indescribable. It couldn't more obviously be a bad comedian with zero presence in a suit. Once one gets to the end, one must seriously begin to question the sanity of someone involved, and since Franco wrote the play, screenplay, produced, directed, and starred, it's tough to point the finger anywhere else.
March 24, 2009
As his first directorial effort (AFAIK), this mildly amusing take on neurosis is probably only of interest to James Franco completists.

This is really just Franco testing out his talents as a writer and director. But, as cute and charming as he is, and as nice as it is to see one of his theatre projects on the small screen, he'll need a bigger, sharper, idea (and a bigger budget) to find an audience for his behind-camera work.
January 8, 2009
I like James Franco...always have since Freaks and Geeks. I'm glad to see Pineapple Express and Milk have helped to break the bad streak he was on. The Ape probably isn't as bad as Anapolis but it's gotta be close. The thing is, this is a weird, artsy-ass movie. Imagine if Jim Jaramusch had directed Ed or Goin Ape. This is awful but it earns points for being flat-out bizarre.
½ June 29, 2008
OMG this was awful. I love James Franco but this movie is just so fucked up! I gave it a chance but NO.
½ April 29, 2008
You have to be able to appreciate the bizzarre to enjoy this one, and a little love for James Franco doesn't hurt ;) It's an insightful commentary on how potentially destructive the creative process can be...but it drags at times (it was written as a play). "APE-Y!!!"
March 20, 2008
JAMES FRANCO AND A APE!!!
March 19, 2008
want to c coz ther's j.franco
February 25, 2008
Pretty hilarious actually. Plus James Franco wrote and directed it.
½ February 23, 2008
better than expected
½ January 17, 2008
This bizarre movie was even weirder than I thought. Didn't make any sense at all (don't know if it was supposed to) and only had a couple funny parts. I think James Franco should stop here with directing.
January 7, 2008
Not so very good. I tried, but I just couldn't get into this one.
January 5, 2008
This has everything I want in a movie - James Franco, a guy in a gorilla costume wearing an Hawaiian shirt, poop throwing and Dostoevsky quotes. It's marvelous.
October 31, 2007
ridiculous=..=but great
October 5, 2007
Yo, James Franco, you are the greatest; I will watch this only for you!