The Ape - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ape Reviews

September 27, 2007
Were you that hard up for work early in your career James?
½ September 24, 2007
worst movie I've ever seen!
September 11, 2007
meh. i was hoping it'd be different, and i like odd movies, but this crossed the line that's acceptable to me. and the end? SO cliche. think: fight club. nothing spectacular here. although you get to see james franco make funny facial expressions >.<
August 27, 2007
i wish it was a novel, but then again would anyone understand it if it was??!! hmmm...
i must admit he was crazy in this movie, i guess everyone has an ape inside them! ;)
August 27, 2007
I wish he wrote it as a novel instead of a play. I still love him though. :( This movie made me very sad!
August 24, 2007
funny!!! but boring in some parts. It ended really well though!
½ August 11, 2007
good movie for his first directed...but not his best acting...or even a good plot.
August 7, 2007
Little known fact: James Franco is a genius. I thought he was just another pretty face till I saw his opus. Nonstop hilarous dialogue and awkward situations! Can't wait to see more from James when he isn't working for a paycheck.
July 30, 2007
It's original for sure, and although it's really awkward at times and really ridiculous, I think that's what made the movie. Also "Rendez-Jew" was hilarious. It was fun to see the inner-workings of James Franco's mind through this film that he wrote, directed, and starred in. It's extremely off-beat and I would only go in to watch it with an open mind. I also think the ending was just right.
July 19, 2007
greatest rediculous movie of all time... could only make it 15 minutes through before we decided to change movies.
July 15, 2007
i only saw this becauses james franco directed and starred in it. but even though i love james franco, it was terrible
July 14, 2007
so bad that it is good
July 11, 2007
weird.
NOT funny.
and now I see James Franco much differently. Shame. -_-
June 21, 2007
I can understand the direction that Franco was going for and i'm sure he put a lot of effort into this movie but he didnt really let the story flourish. The dialogue could have been much better. Seeing as it was written as a play, I'm sure it was fine then; there was a slight, slight hint of potential for the movie but it fell flat almost effortlessly.
June 18, 2007
I think that the play looked really funny and intersting. However, I do NOT feel that the play translated well into a movie. This movie completly ended my obsession with James Franco. Seriously. I'm sorry James, its over.
June 13, 2007
This movie was terrible. Probably on the top worst movies EVER!
June 13, 2007
Hmm...You're so silly James. Haha.
½ June 11, 2007
He works better with outside direction, but it was interesting to see where James Franco can go when he lets loose.
½ June 9, 2007
I was fortunate to see a screening of The Ape two years ago and hear James Franco talk about it afterwards. Franco is, in my personal opinion, a very good actor (when a certain wall-crawler isn't around) and he does have a knack for good dialogue (he's no Tarantino or Kaufman, but he's pretty good). As a director, he could use a little work, but other than that, The Ape is an interesting little project that's worth a shot.
½ June 9, 2007
Really really stupid independent film, I am sure there is some pretentious meaning behind the film, but frankly I don't care what it is, if there is indeed anything at all. Garbage.