Evil (Ondskan) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evil (Ondskan) Reviews

July 21, 2012
A well-made movie, featuring good acting and polished production (perhaps even too polished). The story seems a bit predictable and familiar, and something is lacking in character development - some of the protagonist's actions weren't logical and his transformation didn't convince me.
June 10, 2012
This movie has no depth. How could this be nominated for Oscar, really...
May 4, 2012
There is only one word for people like you, and that is "evil"
April 24, 2012
If ever there was a misleading title... The only movie you root for a bully. This is why I love Netflix. Sure it could have every movie blockbuster on Instant Viewing, but what I love is that it has unknown movies like this that we can discover and truly enjoy each minute. Andreas is great as the bully who wants to change his ways, but at the cost of dealing with bullies without violence. Great acting, great direction, and a great movie overall.
April 18, 2012
It's somewhat like Harry Potter without the magic and weird creatures.
½ February 18, 2012
this movie was awesome and it was great to see the bullies got what they had coming to them a great movie from sweden
½ February 2, 2012
Hmm. This one is tricky. It pulls you in from the get-go, then sort of loses you before pulling you right back in. I will say one thing, though: the bullying here is rather horrifying and the protagonist's motivations are never doubted. But the way the school is run here makes no sense, which sort of invalidates much of the effects of the bullying when I reflect on it. In any case, I feel for Erik and his friend, and things remain interesting enough until the third act, which feels rushed and has a completely different tone than the rest of the film. It's disappointing, but the rest of the film is pretty great. Pretty torn on the actual quality of the film, but I like it anyway.
February 1, 2012
I thought this was a really good movie. If youdon't likesubtitles you won't like it, but I suggest watching if you can find it.
January 7, 2012
Evil is a poor title for this Swedish tale of physical/mental/societal abuse. None of the characters in this boarding school tale are truly evil, they're just assholes. Beyond the improper title, Assholes is a serviceable foreign film that makes the public school system seem like a paradise.
December 22, 2011
..?????????????? ???????? ????-????? ??? ?????????? ?? ??? ??? ???????? ?????? ? ??? ????????? ?????????? (?????? ? ???????) ?? ?????? ? ??????? ???????? ???????..? ?????? ??????????? ?????? ??? ??????? ????????? ??? ????? ????????? ??? ?????? ????????????? ???????? ? ?????????????? ??? ?? ????????? ????? ? ???? ???????????..? ?????? ?????? ?????? ?? ?????????? ???? ? ??? ?????? ????????? ? ??? ?????????? ??? ??? Hollywood ? ??? ??????????? ??? 1408 (??????? ????????)..no evil ??????..just love
December 14, 2011
Evil is a story about violence and abuse. This one movie shows how some lives can be and how your upbringing affects your life. It had incredible acting and it really makes you look on life with another perspective.
November 8, 2011
Evil is proof that school isn't always the best days of your life. Nominated for a best foreign-language Oscar in 2004, Evil (Ondskan) is complex tale of struggle and survival. Erik, a 16-year-old boy whose life has been plagued by violence is determined to subsist, the only way he knows - by giving a good thrashing to anyone in his way. Directed with assurance by Swedish filmmaker Mikael Håfström, Evil is a powerful and engrossing film that justifies its violence with depth and substance. This is Fight Club in a classroom and highly recommended
August 26, 2011
Powerful film where the transformation is painful to watch, but leaves you feeling hope.
½ August 7, 2011
Evil (Ondskan) Starring Andreas Wilson! This film I should say is what I have seen one of greatest foreign films recently. It has suspense, plot of great appreciation, action if I dare say this; and psychic-elements. The message is clear what Erik Ponti (Andreas Wilson) is told at the beginning by the headmaster of the school, that he (Erik) was the evil person; but to our surprise the evils are few of those his stepfather and Otto Silverhielm (Gustaf Skarsgad) with gang, who are engaged in humiliating, bullying playing psychological-tortures upon Erik and his roommate Pierre Tanguy (Henrik Lundstrom). A great film, definitely worth Oscar-nomination for Best Foreign Language Award.

Watching Andreas Wilson one can really assume that he was a grand choice for the role of Erik Ponti due to his physique, charm, voice, posture, and look of guts. Although it was unfamiliar with acting, but no doubt a wonderful performance. Film completely gives answers to various questions; should be rising out of the scenes in the films such as, what would be Erik doing to his stepfather, who sadistically beats him at various scenes in the film.
July 4, 2011
I found this to be a decent enough film. Wilson did a fantastic job emoting the frustration he had at not being able to fight back. You knew when the pot finally boiled over, the seniors were in trouble. I thought the romance with Marja was a bit weak, and the resolution at the school just a little too easy. Worth watching, but I feel as if I've seen it before though I can find no information that there is an American version.
½ June 30, 2011
For you who aren't familiar with the story;
After being suspended from his umpteenth bording school, for his hot temper, Eric Ponti is sent to the big shot private boarding school, Stjärnsberg. There's a strict hyarchy among the pupils, Eric has problems to cope with it.

I'm sorry, but I must say that I think this movie is widely overrated (and so is the book). The drama in the writer Jan Guillou's book is clumsly transmitted into the movie, where the director Mikael Håfström is exagerrating the drama even more and it often gets a bit ridiculus (like in many of Håfström's other movies). Just take the "apologize-scene" for example.
The characters are almost like caricatures (either all bad, or good) and I can find it a bit odd that they chose Andreas Wilson for the lead, Carl Ponti. He is extremly handsome, allright, and undoubtly a good actor. But he doesn't look like a 16 year old, does he?

And when he stands there as 16-year old Eric Ponti, like a true juvenile "rebel" obstinately refuses to give an apology to the "meanies", it looks a bit funny...

I'm not saying that Mikael Håfström is a bad director. He's just happened to direct a whole bunch of bad movies (except for 1408, which I consider really good:). He do have potential for creating "creepy" moods in movies, and obviously, horror movies are his "thing".
As for the writer of the book and the script...I don't give much for his book, though I think he's a great popular historian.

This movie was well recieved by the swedish critics. Also, it's one of the most engrossing movies released in Sweden during the 2000. Still, I don't know why...
June 16, 2011
Ondskan is a great look on friendship, freedom, punishment and a view on totalitarianism. Its 'The Experiment' set within 'Dead Poets Society' with a bit of 'Sleepers' for good measure.

The film carries a big emotional punch but it still manages to resolve everything in a very clever way. Håfstrom actually manages to avoid many of the clichés associated with this particular type of films.
June 12, 2011
This movie had so many emotionally satisfying scenes. When he starts to fight back (AND how), you can't help but cheer
½ May 31, 2011
A film that manages to be both brutal yet (oddly) inspiring. Erik is an extremely likeable main character, and watching his desperate attempt to fix things the right way is heartwrenching. The supporting cast is all excellent, too, particularly Henrik Lundstrom as his roommate Pierre. Captivating.
May 30, 2011
Good movie, reminded me of the movie "School Ties" with Brendan Fraser, Matt Damon, and Chris O'donnell but the ending of this one is rather dissapointing...