Simon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Simon Reviews

March 24, 2014
This movie could've definitely been more sentimental and more melodramatic than it probably ended up being. Especially since it deals with the very serious subject matter of assisted suicide. This is something that hasn't ever been tackled, at least that I'm aware of that and one that isn't a documentary, released on this side of the world, so this film looks at something very serious and, thankfully, doesn't exploit it as much as others would have. The film also tackles the issue of gay marriage, but it's not done in a way of seeing Camiel and Bram struggle to gain social acceptance and fighting against a society that so badly doesn't want them to be married to each other. It's not like that at all, everyone just sort of accepts it and moves on. Which is the way it should be everywhere but you rarely get to see. Then again, this is a film and it's probably not a reflection of the situation for gays in Netherlands, but I hope that in an European country that things are much easier and less oppressive than in other parts of the world. There are gay jokes in the film, but they don't really feel mean spirited at all, that's just the way Camiel's and Simon's friendship developed. Sort of like a group of old friends who insult each other all the time for shits and giggles. They may insult each other but they're probably very close to each other. And that's how it feels when Simon pokes fun at Camiel's sexual identity, just two old friends fucking with each other. And I did find their friendship to actually be surprisingly touching in seeing the dedication Camiel has to being there for Simon every step of the way through this difficult journey and how he tries to put up this act that seeing his friend dying doesn't emotionally affect him, when it very much does. So I liked the film for the fact that it deals with something very serious in a low-key and mature manner. It's sort of like 50/50 except not nearly as funny and not nearly as good overall. The film looks at how Simon's decision to pursue 'euthanasia' affects those around him including his children, mostly his daughter. I don't think the film went as deeply with this as they could, like examining how this truly affects not even his family, but those who've known him for years. Outside of a stretch of about 15 minutes, where his daughter convinces him to put a kibosh on the whole euthanasia, before Simon is told that it should be his choice alone. But that's about it, the rest of the film sort of deals with the inevitability of the event and not the consequences of his decision. Because of that, the film really has this very depressing tone even as it's trying to entertain you. It doesn't really work, in my opinion, I think the film was simply way too depressing as it went along. It doesn't really feel like it's a celebration of Simon's life as much as it is about how he chose to end it. Granted, you get a lot of flashbacks elaborating on what Simon was like and how he still IS like. But the film should've taken a more positive approach towards this subject. I'd have still kept the entire movie the same, except I'd have taken more time to celebrate Simon's life and the impact he had on the people around him, rather than focusing so much on his impending death. That's pretty much my only complaint about the film, and the reason it got three stars, even though I liked it more than the rating would imply. 50/50 had its very depressing moments, but ultimately it's a celebration of life even in the face of incredibly difficult circumstances and the people around us that help make those moments a little easier to tolerate. This film didn't have that, and that's what was really missing from the film. I found the cast to be solid and the film has plenty of heart and warmth to make up for its flaws. I think the comedy is also a little inconsistent, but that's a minor issue when the film is dealing with such a serious subject. Still, I liked this movie. It's definitely a movie that will depress you pretty much from beginning to end, but I think there's more than enough good here to make this worth watching on Amazon Instant Prime, if you have it.
January 1, 2013
Simple put a very entertaining and liberal movie.
August 4, 2011
Slumpmässigt och planlöst flippande på skumma satelitkanaler gjorde att jag hamnade på en kanal vid namn Silver. De visade denna film som fångade mitt intresse. Från att kännas mest som en slackerfilm så utvecklade det sig till en gripande historia om vänskap och eutenasi. En mycket bra holländsk film som varmt rekommenderas.
½ December 21, 2010
this movie makes you enjoy life more..
i wish i had a friend like Simon.. (lol)
July 2, 2009
A lesson of life. Amazing movie.
May 12, 2009
I dont have anything against gay movies (example that one of my favourites directors is Francois Ozon, who make pure gay films), But when a film is high rated here, i am expecting something really good, which here i never found.

Beside the really good ending and a nice threesome scene... i couldnt relate with anything else.

PLUS: The threesome scene, ending

MINUS: Characters, story, Nothing original

Best scene: Cees Geel, is thinking to jump from a cliff... only at the end we found out what really happened
½ February 4, 2009
The first half is visually stimulating with all the T&A. The second half is more emotionally touching.
½ January 16, 2009
An overwhelming Dutch movie...
December 11, 2008
Highs and lows of some Dutch lives. Hilarious, great one-liners. Made me miss nl.
½ December 11, 2008
It was a difficult one to get into at the beginning and it got easier. The ending was very sad but the last scene superb!
November 29, 2008
The beginning pushed hard to make a point about how crass and high living Simon was -- a bit contrived from my perspective. However, fast forward 14 years and you get a very heartwarming, but not overtly sentimental story. Some pretty fabulous performances, while exploring very weighty subject matter.
½ October 11, 2008
Wow! Tough subject, well portrayed.
October 6, 2008
powerfull, beautifull, sincere and moving beyond measure. the best dutch film ever produced. it almost makes me miss holland and it will certainly make you cry.
½ September 29, 2008
Very nice movie, the lead actor was awesome in a positively unique wAY
September 25, 2008
Verneukeratief gezicht heb je!
August 4, 2008
Don't know much about this movie,. It might be good but I don't know.
July 13, 2008
Incredible movie! It's about friendship, love, life, death and everything in between.
May 10, 2008
Super mooie film, heb hem reeds 3x gezien
April 30, 2008
un film touchant où est la mort n'est pas triste. Une découverte à faire partager