Marie Antoinette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marie Antoinette Reviews

July 12, 2015
Definitely Kristen's best performance! I loved the movie. I loved Sophia's point of view on her life. Still left me wondering (true or not) and it's the best part. Unbelievable costumes also.
½ July 6, 2015
I like the clothes. apart from that it's shite.
May 28, 2015
This will be very hit-or-miss with people. As for me, I LOVED it. Sofia Coppola's unique approach to the historical drama is daring and original. Forget the historical facts about Marie Antoinette. Coppola shows her how she really was: an innocent woman who just wanted to experience life like a normal teenage girl. The colorful costumes, set design, cinematography and anachronistic 80s soundtrack are AMAZING!
May 16, 2015
In The Social Network, David Fincher exercised quite a deal of creative license in translating real events to the big screen. That's the difference between an HBO documentary and a blockbuster drama.

Although many years prior to Fincher's opus, Marie Antoinette is shockingly on par with its HBO siblings. Our titular character is more static than her gowns. And our plot suffers from a worse ill than smallpox: nonexistence.

Coppola's sacrificing style for story is-in a twist of irony-royally out of vogue.
April 12, 2015
An insightful, fun, and sobering look into the life of French royalty. The movie probably could have benefitted from some editing, but a great cast and creative directing set it apart.
April 2, 2015
Had a lot of things I liked; acting, set/costume design, soundtrack etc. But after the first half it gets too bloated and a little directionless. Felt like a bit of a struggle to finish, which is a shame because I like pretty much everything Sofia Coppola does.
½ March 1, 2015
Like all the others of Sofia Coppola's movie, I find it superficial. Of course you find some meanings behind her movies, but they are always not scanned so deeply as they could.
February 24, 2015
Only the music saves it
The film is just terrible
½ February 17, 2015
An exercise in style, Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette may not be the deepest biopic but it is an entertaining and surprisingly fun mash-up of period drama visuals and modern pop influences.
February 4, 2015
i dont care that is isn't historically correct. this film is a feast for the eyes. every aspect of it is visually stunning, and i like the new storyline, and not to mention the amazing soundtrack. it somehow compliments the set designs, costumes and the whole feeling of the film. i loved it.
½ February 1, 2015
ok his5torical pic update of sorts
January 28, 2015
So beautiful but lack of creations. I basically rate three stars for the indoor decorations.
January 3, 2015
I only watch this movie for the costumes, which are so good I'll still give this movie three stars.
January 2, 2015
A demonstration of the extravagance and largesse of Marie Antoinette and the issues that beset France during this time. A cracking soundtrack to accompany it.
December 22, 2014
A cross between a cheesy early noughties music video and some sort of period set live action barbie movie, Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette biopic is insufferably dull and lacking in substance of any sort. One of the most atrocious artistic misfires I've suffered to date.
December 20, 2014
WOW.....WOW....WOW....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS AN ALRIGHT MOVIE 2 WATCH......it is nothing special 2 watch but it is an enjoyable movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie......I think that Kirsten dunst, Jason Schwartzman, judy davis, rip torn, rose byrne, steve coogan, molly Shannon, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....

The production was given unprecedented access to the Palace of Versailles. The movie takes the same sympathetic view of Marie Antoinette's life as was presented in Fraser's biography. Coppola has stated that the style for shooting was heavily influenced by the films of Stanley Kubrick, Terrence Malick, and Milo Forman, Coppola was also influenced by Lisztomania by Ken Russell.

While the action happens in Versailles (including the Queen's Petit Trianon and the Hameau de la Reine) and the Paris Opera (which was built after the death of the real Marie Antoinette), some scenes were also shot in Vaux-le-Vicomte, Château de Chantilly, Hôtel de Soubise and at the Belvedere in Vienna.

Milena Canonero and six assistant designers created the gowns, hats, suits and prop costume pieces. Ten rental houses were also employed, and the wardrobe unit had seven transport drivers. Shoes were made by Manolo Blahnik and Pompei, and hundreds of wigs and hair pieces were made by Rocchetti & Rocchetti. As revealed in the "Making of" documentary on the DVD, the look of Count von Fersen was influenced by 1980s rock star Adam Ant. Ladurée made the pastries for the film; its famous macarons are featured in a scene between Marie-Antoinette and Ambassador Mercy.

The film's soundtrack contains New Wave and post-punk bands New Order, Gang of Four, the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bow Wow Wow, Adam and the Ants, the Strokes, Dustin O'Halloran and the Radio Dept. Some scenes utilize period music by Jean-Philippe Rameau, Antonio Vivaldi and François Couperin. The soundtrack also includes songs by electronic musicians Squarepusher and Aphex Twin.

Nominations and awards

Academy Awards record

1. Best Costume Design, Milena Canonero
Won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design (Milena Canonero).
Nominated for three BAFTA awards, for Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design and Best Makeup & Hair.
At the 2006 Cannes Film Festival, Marie Antoinette was entry for Official Selection of Golden Palm and won the Cinema Prize of the French National Education System.
The film was nominated for Best Feature at the Gotham Awards.
Won Best Art Direction at the Washington, D.C. Area Film Critics Association Awards.
Won Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design at both the Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards and the Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards

The Region 1 DVD version of the movie was released on February 13, 2007. Special features on the disc included a "making of" featurette, two deleted scenes and a brief parody segment of MTV Cribs, featuring Jason Schwartzman as Louis XVI of France. The Region 2 DVD version, including the same special features, was released on February 26, 2007. No commentary was available for the DVD. In France, the double-disc edition included additional special features: Sofia Coppola's first short movie, Lick the Star, and a BBC documentary film on Marie Antoinette. A collector's edition boxset, entitled "Coffret Royal", was also released in France, and included the double-disc edition of the movie, Antonia Fraser's biography, photographs and a fan. The Japanese edition was released on July 19. This two-disc edition included the same extra features as the North American release, though it also included the American, European and Japanese theatrical trailers and Japanese TV spots. A limited-edition special Japanese boxed set contained the two disc DVD set, a jewellery box, a Swarovski high-heeled shoe brooch, a hand mirror, and a lace handkerchief.

man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......I think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a good cast throughout this movie......
December 18, 2014
This film is visually stunning. It gives you a strong feeling of luxury and royalty with it's stunning costumes and beautiful buildings and sets.
The acting does not disappoint. Kristen Dunst plays her role beautiful. The role fits her perfectly.
November 30, 2014
A biopic of sorts, but whilst it rather plods a bit too slow at times Dunst does give an admirable performance as the tragic French Queen.
½ November 20, 2014
Didn't really like it.
½ November 3, 2014
I refuse to feel sympathy for a character who cheats on their spouse and feels no remorse. Let alone when the movie tries to force me to sympathise with them.