Marie Antoinette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marie Antoinette Reviews

January 17, 2016
Very much, only really for Sophia Coppola fans. Hyper visual, garish and ugly...and in the very, very best way possible. I ate it up with a spoon!
December 12, 2015
Marie Antoinette is a good film, that explains the life of Marie Antoinette. The movie has good educational value. The soundtrack fits the mood of the scenes. I recommend this to anyone, who enjoys historical films.
October 7, 2015
this movie is amazing and awesome!!!
½ September 17, 2015
Jag hade noll koll på detta rent historiskt så detta var en historielektion men på ett mycket lättsamt vis. Inte så värst lättsamt för Marie Antoinette dock, så sjukt liv egentligen.
½ September 12, 2015
Looks good but the script sure could have used a bit more work.
September 7, 2015
Bold, daring, and visionary. Marie Antoinette is one of the most original period pieces ever made. Every frame could be put on a wall, it's the definition of eye candy. Dunst turns in a deceptively complex performance, able to pull of a character that begins wide-eyed in her young teens, to a disillusioned and weathered adult. It's endlessly watchable, with a smashing soundtrack and typically lavish production.
September 7, 2015
I liked it. Probably wouldn't need to watch it again
August 16, 2015
I am a big fan of these time period movies. My favorite is Pride and Prejudice. The costumes, setting,acting and everything were outstanding in this movie. The music really ruined it for me because it took you out of that time period. It was very distracting! They should have done like Pride and Prejudice and used music from that time period. It would have felt so much more authentic.
August 1, 2015
Sofia Coppola directs Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette: a rich and original historical picture thanks to its fair share of humor and drama that uniquely distinguishes it from other historical works
July 13, 2015
A special epic movie. One of Sofia Coppola's most undoubtly fancy, fantastic and brillant works! Excepcionally amazing.
July 12, 2015
Definitely Kristen's best performance! I loved the movie. I loved Sophia's point of view on her life. Still left me wondering (true or not) and it's the best part. Unbelievable costumes also.
½ July 6, 2015
I like the clothes. apart from that it's shite.
May 28, 2015
This will be very hit-or-miss with people. As for me, I LOVED it. Sofia Coppola's unique approach to the historical drama is daring and original. Forget the historical facts about Marie Antoinette. Coppola shows her how she really was: an innocent woman who just wanted to experience life like a normal teenage girl. The colorful costumes, set design, cinematography and anachronistic 80s soundtrack are AMAZING!
May 16, 2015
In The Social Network, David Fincher exercised quite a deal of creative license in translating real events to the big screen. That's the difference between an HBO documentary and a blockbuster drama.

Although many years prior to Fincher's opus, Marie Antoinette is shockingly on par with its HBO siblings. Our titular character is more static than her gowns. And our plot suffers from a worse ill than smallpox: nonexistence.

Coppola's sacrificing style for story is-in a twist of irony-royally out of vogue.
April 12, 2015
An insightful, fun, and sobering look into the life of French royalty. The movie probably could have benefitted from some editing, but a great cast and creative directing set it apart.
April 2, 2015
Had a lot of things I liked; acting, set/costume design, soundtrack etc. But after the first half it gets too bloated and a little directionless. Felt like a bit of a struggle to finish, which is a shame because I like pretty much everything Sofia Coppola does.
½ March 1, 2015
Like all the others of Sofia Coppola's movie, I find it superficial. Of course you find some meanings behind her movies, but they are always not scanned so deeply as they could.
February 24, 2015
Only the music saves it
The film is just terrible
½ February 17, 2015
An exercise in style, Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette may not be the deepest biopic but it is an entertaining and surprisingly fun mash-up of period drama visuals and modern pop influences.