The Oh in Ohio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Oh in Ohio Reviews

January 30, 2017
This was an... interesting movie to say the least... Rudd was his usual neurotic self... but it had it's moments... plus it had DeVito.
½ June 26, 2016
Most Parker Posey films I stumble upon accidentally. This one was no exception. Posey plays Priscilla not Presley or Queen of the Desert but rather The Ice Queen. Stuck in a marriage with great sex minus the end result Priscilla attends counseling, a vaginal discovery seminar and finally buys a vibrator. When she's not utterly adorable, Posey's brilliant acting allows the pain Priscilla feels to be painted vibrantly upon her face. Her husband, Jack the teacher (played to look absolutely gross by Paul Rudd - who knew), comes home one day to catch her not in bed with another man but with her vibrator (the cause of her first orgasm). He moves into the garage and eventually into a Manly Arms penthouse. She becomes addicted to her vibrator and he becomes addicted to one of his students (it's okay, he claims, because she's eighteen). Mischa Barton is typecast as the slut again (poor girl). She tells him he has a magnificent penis which he later shouts out along with "my penis is jammin'!" Cue Bob Marley in the background. One thing I didn't like about this movie is it portrays teachers as horrible people (not surprisingly - if salaries are any indication of a teacher's worth). Jack dates and fucks a student. At one point he addresses the students as "mother fuckers." Beautiful. Priscilla travels down a sexual road of unfulfilling men and one unfulfilling woman. (Playing the lesbian - Heather Graham. Did I mention she looks good?) Keith David (notably from Pitch Black & Riddick) offers some comic relief as Jack's best friend and Priscilla's best friend tries to do the same for the audience but unlike David's her efforts fall very short. Priscilla finally receives sexual satisfaction in the form of an orgasm through an unlikely lover, Danny DeVito aka Wayne the Pool Guy. He is the only one to get her to loosen up. Unfortunately the movie ends abruptly leaving us to hypothesize about the rest of Priscilla's life and who she ends up with. I don't know if I would recommend this or not. I'll leave it up to you.
October 4, 2015
I don't get why nobody liked this. I thought it was original, cute and funny.
March 27, 2015
Funny and charming at times, but not too memorable.
August 5, 2013
I love this movie light and funny
½ August 2, 2013
Not nearly as bad as panned.
June 20, 2013
The plot is disjointed, with some pretty stupid moments, and it has that early-to-mid-2000s-indie-movie ugliness to it, but the actors are all great, and it made me laugh, so I found it fun and entertaining. Not sure why it has such a low score everywhere. I thought everyone loved Paul Rudd.
March 11, 2013
Quirky, Light, sort-of funny. Great actors that bring a lot of character and spunk to it. Ending is a bit weak.
February 11, 2013
The Oh in Ohio is hilarious and heartfelt. Parker Posey nails it as Pricilla Chase, the "frigid" housewife who is sexually awakened by her revelation that she has a sexual dysfunction disorder. Her valiant attempt to break her disorder is not only terribly funny but one feels for her. As viewers we triumph with her when she finally breaks the cycle of her repetitive life and finds love. It is racy but not in a gross out humor way. We get to know Pricilla through her journey and find that letting go can be more help than harm.
Paul Rudd is charming and vulnerable as Pricilla's husband who cannot seem to give her the big O. He too goes through a metamorphosis and finding his true self. Although he falls in love with one of his students played by Mischa Barton, he comes out of the film a more fulfilled man.
The Oh in Ohio is raw, real, and a feel good film. After viewing this film one is left with a glow and a smile on their face.
½ February 6, 2013
It was enjoyable, not a masterpiece but had some great moments of fresh and unique humour and situations. Posey is great, as is Rudd and even Mischa Barton is somewhat bearable in this. As for the ending, I would have preferred something a little less off putting than Danny DeVito but hey points for trying something different I guess. I will watch this again and I'm sure I will find it just as entertaining as the first time I saw it.
½ December 11, 2012
This film is representative of both truth and honesty in romance.
October 24, 2012
Beginning was good but then the plot got lazy.
October 10, 2012
The Oh in Ohio is a witty comedy about the complexities of an orgasm.
Paul Rudd plays the quick wit slacker character that we've grown
accustomed to seeing and Parker is the adorable know it all that we all
love. The film is surprisingly funny and heart warming. Danny Devito
plays an endearing lovable salesman. This film manages to take the
romantic comedy genre viewer into different, unexpected directions. I'm
a big fan of filmmakers that can take a date or couples film genre,
like a romantic comedy, and turn the genre into a film for all to enjoy. If
you're a Paul Rudd fan than this is surely a role of his that you don't
want to miss. This film is worth a watch if you like to laugh you wont
be disappointed!
August 6, 2012
hilarious movie, plus mischa barton is super good looking in this one
July 7, 2012
AAHHHHH!!!!!!!!! NOT INTERESTED!!!!!!!.......not interested...
½ April 20, 2012
There are few redeeming aspects in this showcase of irresponsible, unmotivated filmmaking. The characters, dialogue, and situations were nearly as uncomfortable and awkward as the premise of a woman trying to have an orgasm. I don't understand how a film mainly about sex can be so boring, slow, uninteresting and UN-sexy. The pacing is far too slow for what is supposed to be a fun, quirky film, and the editing is loose with some confusing cuts. The entire film felt unnatural, uncomfortable, and bored. A few plot points and lines of dialogue were entirely confusing and unclear, and by the end of the film I felt lost. The student and Sherri characters were poorly written and poorly executed " they felt like characters in a book I was reading. They weren't dynamic and didn't feel truly alive and present. Their comments were unnatural and strange, and didn't fit in with the rest of the film. Also, a very confusing aspect of the film was the relationship between Priscilla and Wayne " I won't give everything away, but throughout the whole film I was confused about their past, present, and until the end, future.

So now you might be wondering about those redeeming qualities I mentioned earlier. Paul Rudd is an excellent actor, which somehow manages to show through in this film. However, his skill is weighed down, limited, and ultimately trapped and killed by the poor writing, directing, and overall execution of this story. Danny DeVito is the only thing that manages to rise above this snooze-fest to make it somewhat enjoyable. His character is developed, complex, motivated and real in a world of fake, tired, hollow shells of people. Overall though, this film is slow, barely able to capture and hold attention, and left no impact on my view of the world. I believe that each film is worth watching once " to watch this film again would be a waste of time.
April 10, 2012
the funny tale of a couple through sexual inadequacies split up and try unique lifestyles. posey, rudd, and devito deliver a wonderful performance.
April 6, 2012
I WANT A POOL LIKE THAT!!!! Otherwise, this movie was a little dull. It was funny in a completely ridiculous way! But Danny DeVito??? Seriously??? I love him, but definitely NOT in that way! Nothing truly memorable about this movie.
April 6, 2012