The Hoax - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hoax Reviews

½ March 15, 2017
When somethings we see clearly coming feels good. When other things we don't see coming feels bad. When we see a future with some people we wish to remain to see we need to provide. When we can't see some people, but have the next best thing we pull a harmless hoax. When what people font see can't hurt us when what they see is inauthentic when they don't know. When what they see they believe we continue. When we need to make others see without seeing to believe when seeing is believing but we have the next best thing in a partner and copying somethings to make authentic to backup our story. When what we see is public records, material already published and our own interpretation. When what we see are other inside stories when we associate and gather material of those whom can see some people more easily or know more about them then we do. When we need to see some people but get rejected, turned away and hold our moral grounds to give it all up when know one knows or sees to give in. When we see that we need more and more when our hoax is working more and more. When we see our hoax is working less to want more to not back down make sure you see that others dont get the upper hand and we see that we remain honest and authentic when the payout is big and have a lot in jeopardy. When we don't see the ramifications of our actions and plan a quick escape. When what we see is more powerful leverage when we need the upper hand. When we can't get the authentic thing to do the next best thing and see we must be authentic to personify some people. When we see that authencity will see to us when it calls us to confirm authenticity. When we see there is no way out when we are caught. When we see how things go in our head to see that that's a horrible idea and continue with the hoax. When there are dedicated people willing to authenticize without seeing to verify and hear the truth to reveal the reality. When we will see to it that any sort of unlawful hoax will be handled by the law. When we see that we can't take any more risks to see that others can't help themselves. When we see we are in need of a good time and good company to see we gamble everything away for a short high. When we need to see that we look, sound and feel like we are authentic to pull off the hoax. When we see that some people make a grand entrance when they are wealthy. When we see that some people like it their way when they have a disorder complex. When we see that we know everything about some people as much as the next person and professionals. When we see that we are all on thin ice to not have any errors or holes. When we see that we can authenticize some people's works from a far when it's now public. When some powers regard other powerful people a certain way to see some people are inauthentic. When we can't see whom we are dealing with when we are kidnapped and we give a second chance for someone. When we see that we are the man behind the man. When we see we are caught red handed with a hoax. When we see we need to add more when our life depends on it. When we can't stay when we see we are no longer loved. When we see that there is some truth to some material that makes some things authentic and others a hoax when we mix lies and honesty together for anyone to notice. When we see we need an out of everything we started and did to not lose everything when we have exhausted ourselves being dishonest. When we see we are suffering a mental breakdown and disorder like whom we personify. When we see we know the truth when it is revealed to us. When we see we must confront those whom we put our faith on. When we see we are borderline delusional when we are lieing. When we see that we need to get all our facts in order to proceed whether somethings are delusional or real. When we see that all we wanted was some admiration for being a writer, but we chose the wrong side when what we are good at is fiction rather then fact. When we see that we grabbed the the attention of news and those high in power to know what we wrote was good. When we see that we played an intricate part in revealing a scandal when others saw us as factual. When we see all the dominoes collapse when they are all lined up and fall together. When we see not everyone took the fall and lived a different life. When we see that we are guilty, served time and ruined many lives in the process including the life of the person we imitated. When we see lies cost the livlihood of people that sucks us in like a book that leaves us in awe when the ending reveals we have been duped, we were honest the whole time, our life is ruined, and that we lost more then money in the end.
½ February 28, 2017
Fascinating story, well acted, and it's hard to believe it is pretty much based on true events, though probably not the Watergate claim.
½ June 16, 2016
Based on actual events, The Hoax tells the incredible true story behind one of the most daring cons of the late 20th century. After the rejection of his latest novel, Clifford Irving comes up with an audacious scheme to write and sell a fake "autobiography" of the eccentric and reclusive billionaire industrialist Howard Hughes. Starring Richard Gere, Alfred Molina, and Hope Davis, the cast is fairly strong and delivers some impressive performances. Additionally, the film does a good job at showing how Irving's obsession with Hughes causes him to take on some of Hughes' paranoia and manipulative tendencies. There are also some interesting hints that Irving was just one piece in a larger game being played between Hughes and President Nixon. Extraordinarily compelling, The Hoax is a fascinating character study that provides a unique look at the cultural zeitgeist of the 1970s.
½ October 6, 2015
Gere's very good here and the story and pace fly by with a very entertaining result.
½ January 20, 2015
Buena ambientaciòn y caracterizaciones, pero le faltò algo.
December 5, 2014
Interesting take on an event I well remember. Quite suspenseful in parts, even when you know how it ends.
December 1, 2014
Good movie and well acted
½ November 19, 2014
El director Lasse Hallstrom ("Chocolat") nos ofrece una divertida cinta basada en la vida del escritor Clifford Irving, quien escribió la "biografía oficial" del excéntrico Howard Hughes supuestamente basada en entrevistas personales, cuando en realidad todo fue producto del engaño. Richard Gere es magnífico interpretando a este mentiroso compulsivo de comportamiento autodestructivo que logró engañar a la editorial McGraw Hill, Imperdible.
September 15, 2014
really enjoyed this one
½ June 22, 2014
Implausibly plausible true story of literary deception that indirectly leads to Watergate. Interesting and engaging film elevated by a very talented cast.
½ May 1, 2014
Directed by Lasse Hallström (What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), The Cider House Rules (1999) and Chocolat (2000)), this is based on the 1981 book of the same title by Clifford Irving, and it tells of a simple hoax Irving attempted to pull off in 1971. It sounded like the perfect crime, but their greed let them down, it makes for a good film but they did take liberties with the film, and sounds a bit too unbelievable. In 1971, author Clifford Irving (Richard Gere) has done a book about art forger Elmyr de Hory called Fake! Which hasn't sold well, and he's struggling to get his next book published, but after a chance encounter with fellow writer Richard Suskind (Alfred Molina) in Puerto Rico, they note how a hotel has been entirely vacated to make way for reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes. Irving comes up with an idea, and tells publishing bosses at McGraw-Hill that he's the ghost writer on an autobiography Hughes is writing. Irving and Susking work on the fake autobiography, but it all comes apart at the seems when they're unable to keep up with their lies. It's a good idea for a film, and Gere and Molina make a good double act throughout the film, but the true story of how it happened was a complex web of lies, whereas the film version just scratches the surface of what really happened, combining incidents and removing key facts, which hurt the film sadly.
½ January 29, 2014
well crafted com-dram i liked this one
½ December 22, 2013
Richard Gere and Alfred Molina turn in impressive performances in this engaging true story.
December 5, 2013
This movie is memorable in many ways. 1. It shows what a great underrated actor Richard Gere is. 2. It show what a slimy scumbag money grabbing shyster Clifford Irving was.
November 14, 2013
The first half is easily stronger than the second, but The Hoax is still a fascinating story and features the best Richard Gere performance I've seen.
October 25, 2013
Bluff and lie and you can get away with anything makes a great scenario for a movie and this one takes this level to heights of great entertainment. It is a quirky story as one can imagine with any American look at their most famous billionaire. The cast make this film intriguing, mysterious and fun allowing for a relaxing time looking at the fun of the business bluff. Nibbles: Bagels and Cheese.
June 8, 2013
The Hoax mixes very well reality and imagination, the nature of lies and shadowy situations, with the charm of Richard Gere in the lead role.
April 28, 2013
The Hoax is a fascinating and consistently entertaining true story that's downright impossible to believe at times, and the film never lets you forget just how ridiculous these events seem to be, yet in the end you buy into every word.
April 12, 2013
This "based on real events" movie was very nice. The pacing, the acting, the "near miss" moments added a lot anxiety to the plot. The bad thing is that so many events of the story were made up, that even the real culprit (Clifford Irving) after reading the script, asked his name to be taken out of the picture. I do understand some "artistic license" is taken sometimes for dramatic effects, but to add so many made up things, kills the intention of the film. Hey, the real story was awesome on it's own, why tinker with it?