The Hoax - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hoax Reviews

½ March 22, 2013
A great screenplay, but I really disagree with RT's commendation of the direction and acting. Hallstrom is inconsistent; he's not sure how to play many of these scenes, some of which are painfully bad ("He gave me a prune"). Alfred Molina is AWFUL as Gere's sidekick; that miscasting cost this movie a full star. There are some good moments for Gere, but he too is inconsistent. This could have been as good as Catch Me If You Can, but I have to hand it to Spielberg--he does a much better job bringing script to screen.
½ February 12, 2013
Probably Richard Gere's finest performance.. He turns a half-assed con man into a likable character that you pull for until the very end - and Alfred Molina stood his ground in every scene he was in.
½ February 6, 2013
Enjoyable and entertaining and based on a true story. The actual events blew my mind, that someone was capable of pulling off such an incredible hoax, it really is worth seeing how he went about writing a so called autobiography for a man he'd never met. Gere pulls off a solid performance, though my favourites were Marcia Gay Harden in a limited but powerful role and particularly Alfred Molina as Dick Suskind; the accomplice of sorts. I really enjoyed this film.
½ February 2, 2013
Escritor frustrado miente que tiene la autobiografía de Howard Hugues para publicar, y entra en un mundo de farsa que se va complicando más y más. La primera hora es muy entretenida, y parece una especie de Bowfinger de la literatura. Y la segunda ofrece detalles sobre esta historia (basada en hechos reales) que es increíble! Y en la que Hugues, Nixon, y los jefes de McGraw Hill y Life van cobrando protagonismo. Lástima que ni el director ni el cast son demasiado brillantes ni le ponen muchas ganas.
½ January 22, 2013
Buena película y hasta ahí...
January 22, 2013
better use of Howard Hughes' eccentricity than the Aviator. exceedingly slow, however.
January 5, 2013
Unbelievable, but a true story.
½ January 2, 2013
This movie was very well done and entertaining. I am a big fan of Richard Gere and his natural charm is such a delight. He made his character so believable. Fascinating story I was not aware of. Great job and great movie.
December 27, 2012
it doesnt seem so interesting.
½ December 25, 2012
I really liked this movie. Richard Gere and Alfred Molina have great chemistry, the story moves along nicely and it has a killer classic rock soundtrack. Not the greatest movie ever made but an excellent rental for a slow TV night or weekend.
December 9, 2012
A character driven movie with Richard Gere at the helm. A charming and interesting film, due largely to its true life origin in one of the most daring and bold confidence schemes ever enacted (Clifford Irving's scam about being commission to write an official biography of reclusive millionaire Howard Hughes).
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
½ December 5, 2012
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
November 25, 2012
Pretty good, but takes too much dramatic liberty. A fascinating true story becomes just another Hollywood product.
October 28, 2012
Interesting story. That's it.

2008 Movies: 78
½ September 29, 2012
Nice performances by Richard Gere & Alfred Molina. Entertaining movie. Made me want to find out more about Clifford Irving and Howard Hughes.
August 21, 2012
The story is fascinating, the film is overly opinionated and lacking in heart and real facts.
July 15, 2012
Fairly good acting and alright story line. There were some funny parts too. Worth watching as a rental.
July 12, 2012
This movie wwould make a good companion to Martin Scorsese's 'The Aviator'
½ June 16, 2012
Found it interesting enough and Gere was better in this than he often can be, but ultimately the story was too thin to make it any better than average.