Free Zone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free Zone Reviews

June 16, 2009
I don't quite understand what I was supposed to get out of the movie. Not a lot happened :-/
May 28, 2009
Du cinema enferme dans ses concepts. Dommage, car selon moi il y avait vraiment matiere a mieux.
May 5, 2009
I can't say I'm a fan of the style of the camera work, it bothers me a bit. I also couldn't quite get over the first 7 minutes of the film being just a close up of Natalie Portman crying to a song that never seemed to end. It just wasn't my kind of movie unfortunately.
April 19, 2009
First and foremost, this is a Gitai movie, so for his style do expect long unbroken shots with ambient music, long pauses in dialogues and action. (Simply translated as slow paced)

You see 3 woman with very different backgrounds and the way they are dealing with their problems. The differences that set them apart and the very core reason that bound them together.

The ending though really made me cracked my head... not too sure what to make of it. What ever happened to Natalie Portman? and indeed... was almost contemplating walking out when Natalie Portman was crying for like close to 10 mins...

In anycase, watching them crossing the borders reminded me trying to cross Syria border 5 yrs back in 2004! Was rejected at the 3rd checking station and I have no idea if it was the final one! haha :P
April 2, 2009
I clocked 10 minutes of Natalie Portman crying. Talk about a boring movie. This takes the cake. Pointless, plotless, entertainingless (I can go on here...). Don't waste your money or time.
March 29, 2009
Free Zone is a very slow moving road movie which offers decent performances from the main stars. The goings on are very subtle and until the more obvious scenes you just sit back and watch it gently move along. I dont think this is going to be everyones cup of tea and to be honesty it didnt blow me away but was good for a couple of hours.
½ March 24, 2009
difficult to tell what was english or hebrew as my brain had gone to sleep.
March 15, 2009
Dull, dull, dull. Several moments nearly lifted it from the pit of despond, but overall it's a poor film with the odd interesting bit of scenery. No, not Natalie Portman.
½ March 4, 2009
After I saw the director's interview, I understand what he tried to tell us through this film, but the story itself wasn't really interesting for me.
½ March 2, 2009
One thing is to protrait jewish problems and another thing is to make a self-indulgent jewish portrait.
½ February 21, 2009
I'm a big Natalie Portman fan, but I was thinking throughout this film..WTF?! It would have served better as a documentary. As a film, it was terrible...no plot, no direction. I was left feeling annoyed.
January 24, 2009
El eterno conflicto de estos dos mundos similares y diferentes a la vez. Buena musica y escenarios. La mejor parte, la que aparece en la portada con las tres mujeres en el carro.
Siempre se aprende algo con el cine de otros paises.
December 22, 2008
a taxi driver needing to get to the free zone across jordan border, goes with american played by natalie portman, a nice little role for portman, ruffing it away from hollywood, and hana laszlo, as women taxi driver, lots of long takes with a interesting viewpoint brought across
½ December 10, 2008
I felt a little seasick watching it... I'm a Natalie Portman fan, but I was getting kind of sick of watching her cry for 5 minutes at the beginning...
November 22, 2008
Natalie's my girl, but I couldn't do much with this film. I should have known when the film opened with 9 minutes of a close up on Natalie crying, and never really explained why.
November 14, 2008
The best Amos Gitai film in memory. Got some fantastic and ambitious montage shots in a visual narrative. Wish I could do that.
½ November 7, 2008
I found this film at my public library and I never heard of it before. But since there's Natalie Portman in it and also because it takes place in Jordan and Israel, I was attracted to it. It seems like most of the people over here didn't enjoy it but I liked it a lot. It's a road trip with guts and emotions. It's also very well played by the women cast. The editing is a bit annoying at a certain point but other than this little con, everything else was great. Really.
September 5, 2008
Lo millor els 6 minuts de pla fixe de la Natalie Portman plorant.
July 29, 2008
worst movie i've ever seen. it had no point. i'm not even going to rate it.