The Big White - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big White Reviews

½ February 22, 2016
When a movie manages to keep you wondering what is going to happen next, it's almost certainly a good movie, or at least, a very entertaining one.
½ August 23, 2015
Kinda wants to be Fargo, but ends up being not.
April 6, 2015
Very enjoyable film with some good funny moments.
March 22, 2015
It's definitely not a masterpiece, but this film is highly underrated and almost unheard of. Worth a watch, especially for Robin Williams fans.
½ January 17, 2015
Great little oddball comedy, thoroughly enjoyed it!
October 18, 2014
Holly Hunter and Tim Blake Nelson crack me up in this one.....
September 29, 2014
This movie was hilarious! :)
August 16, 2014
Obviously channeling Fargo, this Alaskan-set dark comedy has a surprisingly robust cast of stars lead by Robin Williams. Enjoyably quirky thriller with bizarre, off-the-wall performances from its entire cast and some striking location work. This film caught my eye immediately, mostly due to the cast. The entire cast has been in movies that I have loved. When reading the synopsis, this movie seemed like something I'd love. Robin Williams delivers another beautifully zany performance alongside the underrated Giovanni Ribisi. The Big White is a darkly amusing film and I liked the way the different parts of the story came together. There are some laugh out loud moments and I think it's best when Williams and Ribisi are sharing the screen. However, Holly Hunter has the brightest spots of the movie and apparently she did a lot of research to make sure her portrayal was accurate. A very good and underrated little movie, full of black comedy, clever coincidences and plot twists. You can't go into Big White and expect Fargo, but for a similar tone and style, this will suffice. This film is funny, with slapstick and moments of off-beat humour, and has real drama and a gentle sweetness running through it.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ June 14, 2014
A dark comedy set in Alaska. It has a wonderful cast to go along with an odd-ball story of a man trying to bilk an insurance company out of a million dollar policy on his brother. This is quirky fun. Holly Hunter is marvelous.
August 28, 2013
Very under rated movie
March 24, 2013
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
½ March 1, 2013
Awesome flick and awesomer soundtrack. Goes to show what these idiot reviewers always get wrong. Hi I'm a professional reviewer - Allow me to pretend I'm condescending because it will make me feel intelligent. Wah. It's simply a great movie. Makes you laugh. And the soundtrack is amazing. Tomato reviewers: Shame on you for being self righteous idiots.
February 25, 2013
The Big White paints a picture of quiet desperation. The drama is not in large catastrophic events, but in the failure of everyday life. The laughters will come from what people do, to get out of those jams or get ahead of them.

Out of need, a man will commit insurance fraud and you will root for him to succeed. Then, in comes the insurance claim agent wanting to bag a big case to get out of cold Alaska. Mix in some incompetent first time killers, a mentally hill wife, an abusing older brother, and you get a complex situation to navigate brought in a surprisingly entertaining story, with a nice sprinkle of love.

The setting is unglamorous to say the least which set the mood. However, some of the outdoor shots are visible indoor sets, but they don't detract us much from the intrigue. The acting is very good. You get to hate Woody Harrelson the minute he makes his appearance. Incredulity will be your main emotion toward the two thugs. Mild annoyance will permeate your relation with the wife played Holly Hunter. You'll alternate between nodding and shaking your head when seeing the antics of the insurance agent played by Giovanni Ribisi. And finally, you'll support Robin Williams' character all the way through.

Let yourself be entertained by this really down to earth film.
½ January 7, 2013
One of those rare black comedy indy gems that go unnoticed. Although 'The Big White' tries to be like 'Fargo' way too much, it's still a film of its own. And besides, 'Fargo' is far more polished & better written anyways. Performances top to bottom are outstanding, especially Holly Hunter & Giovanni Ribisi who both could've easily gotten Oscar nominations. I really enjoyed this movie.
January 1, 2013
Reasonably funny, but also almost too light for a dark comedy. It features a bunch of off-the-wall performances, which are enjoyable to watch, but the writing is fairly uneven.
December 9, 2012
Tries to be exciting, but comes off as full and lacking.
½ December 7, 2012
''Why is God, who is a loving God, capable of such things? When someone is taken from us at such a young age, we often ask ourselves why.''

To remedy his financial problems, a travel agent has his eye on a frozen corpse, which just happens to be sought after by two hitmen.

Robin Williams: Paul Barnell

Holly Hunter: Margaret Barnell

The Big White is a funny black comedy which boasts a fine cast Just watched randomly on Sky Movies and it was a nice little film.

Robin Williams as Paul Bernell shows he can act again in spite of his comedic skills.
Holly Hunter as Margaret Barnell is hilarious with her condition.
Woody Harrelson is a fucking bad ass who shows what an actor can be, that you love to hate.

It's got similarities of Fargo which i saw a long time ago but can only remember bits.

I would say the music and songs aren't bad but nothing too memorable. Did like the song at the end though which pretty much sums up what transpired.

The ending is pretty solid and is typically positive. Was slightly sudden but it can be forgiven.

For a comedy from 2005 it's pretty good if you like your black dark humour.
September 30, 2012
Robin Williams & Holly Hunter are great. Quite Funny Black Comedy.
September 29, 2012
Robin Williams is good here
½ September 7, 2012
Silly but enjoyable movie - you could do a lot worse !