Heading South - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heading South Reviews

October 31, 2009
I didnt particularly like the movie but as always Charlotte is fantastic.
½ August 22, 2009
Avorrida pel·lícula sobre dones que, solteres i vora els 50, van des de fa anys de vacances a Haití a passar-ho bé amb els joves de l'illa. No aporta res, no reflexiona sobre res, no entreté... Millor passar de llarg.
½ May 26, 2009
Bastante diferente y real!
½ February 19, 2009
v. interesting period piece, charlotte rampling was good, karen young pretty poor.
February 18, 2009
vu sur France 3 samedi 14 fevrier 2009 vers 23h
February 7, 2009
A movie to think about what it has to say about people traveling to other countries.
January 31, 2009
proc stare zenske shaneji avantyry v zemich tretiho sveta :)
aprilneo
½ January 12, 2009
The film takes place in Haiti in the late 70's and is about three older single women visiting a beach resort to take advantage of the sun, sea, sand, and young Haitian men. I loved this film. It feels very French in its tasteful restraint. Actual sex is never shown, yet it is every bit as titilating as if it were. This movie asks questions you didn't want to think about and turns perceptions around. The sad revelations at the end of the film say a lot about human nature will keep the film in your mind.
½ January 5, 2009
Especially now, when buying sex has been outlawed in Norway (from January 1st, 2009), this exploration of the customers of prostitutes is interesting. It shows clearly how the customers try to rationalize their actions, and to fool themselves into thinking that they are actually doing the prostitutes and the society at large a favor.

Not absolutely convincing in every aspect, but still worth seeing.
December 28, 2008
these women are pathetic
November 9, 2008
Charlotte Rampling's performance was somewhat disappointing, but this was really interesting as a period piece.
October 19, 2008
Also called "Vers la Sud" ... I'm wondering about the authencity. Was it really that common and acceptable for women to pick up male prostitutes at their resorts? Sorry guys, but I would expect it from men..... but overall, I wouldn't expect other guests or the resort to tolerate it.... except if you were at a hedonist resort.

Hmmmm...... I guess the 70s were a lot more sexually freer than we are now ...
September 27, 2008
I disliked a lot about this movie and I also liked some things. I am very much of two minds. I wouldn't really recommend it, but it's competently made and the ending is probably the most effective part.
½ July 18, 2008
This seems to be a provocative exploration of sexual desires, exploitation, hypocrisy and poverty.
But ultimately, it's about the masks people wear.

Charlotte Rampling has more allure than all those pouty-busty-twenty-something-wannabe actresses put together. Her performance was equally captivating.
July 7, 2008
I have a lot I could say about this, but I don't want to be accused of being racist, so I'll keep those thoughts to myself...
½ June 19, 2008
It's like a dark, subversive adaptation of "Enchanted April." Three women go to Haiti for indulgent sex with the locals, but the movie is not a lurid sex story. It's a story about the exploitative tendencies of Westerners, and how broken and abused people often respond by manipulating and abusing others. It's heartbreaking. And the two lead actresses, Rampling and Young, are extraordinary. Caution: There are frank discussions of sexual experiences and some nudity, but it all serves the storytelling, and is employed for realism rather than provocation.
June 7, 2008
Good subtitles, anyone?
June 6, 2008
Good movie on a topic that is not really explored very often. My gripe was the fact this movie was set in the 1970s and the props and clothing were obviously much newer. I know it's an independent movie, but damn some effort would have been nice.
½ May 27, 2008
good subject for a film. does not give you answers, but raises questions. how would the film appear to viewers if the main-characters would be men?
May 25, 2008
Le moins bon Cantet, mais c'est deja tres au-dessus de la moyenne (un peu comme Woody Allen, dans un genre different...).