Stupidity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stupidity Reviews

½ November 3, 2012
The film ‚(TM)Stupidity‚(TM) by Albert Nerenberg explores the phenomenom of stupidity and ignorence in modern society. The movie also summarizes the history of studying intelligence. Scientists and notable publicists were interviewed during the film on the subject of stupidity in the media and culture.
I personally believe that the topic ‚(TM)stupidity‚(TM) is very important, and it‚(TM)s problematic, that it haven‚(TM)t been really discussed so far. So I was very curious about the movie, unfortunately it didn‚(TM)t really meet with my expectations. On the contrary I found it almost as stupid as it‚(TM)s subject. I didn‚(TM)t find the plot structured enough to really understand what the film wanted to say. Although the film tried to analyze different parts of stupidity but it never got deep enough. Every scene was almost as superficial as people called stupid. Sometimes the movie was so boring that instead of stopping it I had to forward it a few minutes. For this reasons I would like to expound my personal views on the topic in the next part of my essay.
People are definetely not stupid, that‚(TM)s why we are humans not animals. We constructed incredible inventions in order to improve our lifes. Creativity, curiosity and the will to move forward are the basic human values. The so called stupid masses in modern societies are not stupid, they just don‚(TM)t have to be smart and creative. The basic idea of consumer society states that hapiness is equal with spending money. Researches have proven that earning and spending money stimulates the same part of the brain as cocaine. It‚(TM)s obvious that most people will follow the easier way to achieve hapiness.
As far as consuming will stay as the main source for hapiness in modern societes, people won‚(TM)t be smarter. But as soon as we‚(TM)ll empty our planet‚(TM)s resources people will have to use their brains in order stay alive. So the formula is not that complicated.
October 14, 2012
Stupidity, a documentary with a good idea, just not well executed.
February 27, 2012
Could be fun, right?
½ October 8, 2011
Despite this documentary, stupidity is a really hard concept to nail down. It's interesting to see how it's an extremely varied thing, from mistakes that seem obvious in hindisight, to knowingly undertaking stunts that will injure oneself, to classical instances of failure to understand, this movie tries to cover them all. It's pretty interesting, but it raises more questions than it answers. I wish I could have participated in this discussion.
July 16, 2011
By the end of the film I still thought when it would actually start. It's much too superficial, presenting only what's always been obvious. I'd say it's stupid.
½ June 5, 2011
So-so. Poorly produced.
May 26, 2011
Honestly, I don't think they explored the topic of stupidity enough. The clips of the various stupid things that they showed, such as the Jackass clips and the Bum Fight(s) clips made me want to see them interview the guys from Jackass and Bum Fight(s), etc., and get another persons take on why ppl are so fuckin' stupid and why do they admire that quality in others. (Supposedly, Steve-O was in this somewhere, presumably the Jackass clips. I would have appreciated it if they had interviewed him tho, it is important to take note of the fact that Jackass is completely scripted & those guys had/have EMT's standing by when they film(ed) those scenes. Bum Fight(s) is/was very much real!!) It also doesn't appear that those who made this movie actually conducted a single interview depicted in this movie. The various interviews, with the various amounts of video and audio quality, made me recognize that they inevitably took interview clips from various websites, radio stations, tv stations, book signings, & celebrity events, etc., and just pieced them together haphazardly; brevity is not a virtue but, I guess you can say that they got it done. They just didn't do it very well.

Also, the narrators voice is so familiar but, WTF have I heard it before?! On Flixster he's a ghost; they don't even have a picture of him...

I would actually have appreciated it if they had done more indepth interviews. This might have added to the seriousness of the film which could have taken away some of the humor but, I wouldn't have minded if the interviews were relevant and insightful. I found it to be quite funny but, it could have been a lot better.
Blaster1618
March 4, 2011
Somewhat thought provoking, but really just more "stupid" entertainment. I'm OK with that.
December 22, 2010
Yes. People are officially stupid.
½ August 19, 2010
It came off as a 13 year old boy's elaborate Youtube documentary.
½ July 26, 2010
I had higher expectations for this documentary...just didn't dig deep enough. And how many times do we need to see an "idiot" wearing a dunce cap sitting in a chair and staring at a TV? It kept cutting to these random clips of "stupid" which was really distracting.
July 20, 2010
Interesting premise but the same clips that are used over and over and odd acting take away from the potential greatness of this documentary.
½ May 24, 2010
"Ignorance is bliss... It's actually thinking that's caused all the damage..."

I feel dumber after watching this. While there is some doctumentary here, this film is mainly a greatest hits clip collection of stupidity in it's finest. The Steve-O riots were likely the lowest point (Camerman - "This is the end of civilization." Random kid - "No its just kids having fun."). But I agree with the critics in that there is never a discussion of how to address the problem.
½ May 2, 2010
This documentary, while some parts make you smile, is not a patch on the michael moore style, he actually tries to change things and sometimes manages, whereas this is a just a bunch of people who are trying to prove they are not stupid by talking about stupid people as a third party, except those who are stupid and proud. Quite forgettable.
½ April 23, 2010
I like some of the directions they took with this movie. You have to keep in mind that a lot of the facts are bled through with the viewpoints and opinions of the creators of the movie - hence the 3.5 stars. It's got interesting ideas in it and creates thought, that's the majority of what I was after.
April 17, 2010
Stupidity, a documentary with a good idea, just not well executed.
March 24, 2010
i like documentaries that inspire self-reflection. a good cognitive exercise. too bad not enough people care to think this deeply...about anything really. perhaps Plato was right about the Philosopher Kings. *sigh*
½ March 9, 2010
Poorly put together and annoying. "Stupid" comes to mind...