Anita & Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anita & Me Reviews

½ January 6, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. I was shocked, although already knowing from history books, how minorities were treated. I also liked the fact that Meena spent the whole film aspiring to be someone else, someone more acceptable to that generation, only to find that you have to be proud of who you are in order to love yourself.
½ March 30, 2013
Quite funny & pretty charming :-)
February 6, 2013
An interesting and different film that was enjoyable and funny.
June 15, 2012
"I was the first person in this village to ingest a scallop. If that's what progress tastes like, you can keep it!"
April 17, 2012
It's not a terrible entry into the comedy world by far, but "Anita & Me" simply glosses over violence and systematic racism too easily for it to ever mean anything. The performances are good, with some questionable Birmingham accents at some points, and the plot is nice and even, but it can't help the lack of entertainment and the feel of some minor exploitation.
½ April 8, 2012
A surprisingly dull entry into a genré that usually provides films buzzing with charm and fun. It may inspire the occasional smirk, but far more often than not plays out like a pointless and predictable tale of growing pains. In all, 'Anita & Me' is an unoriginal waste of time.
February 20, 2011
I adored this coming of age story along with the culture of India that it represented through the people. The music is fab, if you are a fan of that era. I adored how she Adored Anita, wanting to be a part of the Wenches, very cute Comedy, with a bit of Drama mixed in. :)
½ February 4, 2010
Some really funny stuff in here but also so awkward bits. Nice to watch if you just need something light to occupy your mind while you are ill.
August 3, 2009
A movie about the big, big things wrapped neatly into a movie about the small, real things.

Charming, but next time, subtitles.
½ July 12, 2009
Was reminded of "My Sumer Of Love", which is undoubtedly better, hence an unfortunate comparison. This has something going for it though. Few surprises - somehow even the most shocking plot revelation lacks the impact it should have. The whole thing just feels slightly too detached in a way which is hard to pin down. I think perhaps the characters are a bit too stereotypical, lacking genuine quirks or eccentricities, and the situations and locations too limited, so the film feels cramped and set, somehow. Not bad.
June 30, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throguhout this movie...i think that mark williams, lynn redgrave, kathy nurke, kabir bedi,christine tremarco, chandeep uppal, alex freeborn, anna brewster, ayesha dharker play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this romance/comedy/drama had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie i think that this is a good british comedy/drama movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie n its a really powerful drama movie 2 watch
½ March 5, 2009
surprisingly enjoyable movie, the vows were funny, a few lol moments
September 3, 2008
Great film. I love Meera Syal. Great writer and comedian.
August 31, 2008
It's a good film. I laughed out loud several times, but it's not just a comedy. I'm going to read the book as soon as I get the chance.
August 5, 2008
Anita and Me manages to combine comedy, a decent storyline and an important message excellently and in a way that makes it one of the best Anglo-Asian films out there. It exhibits far more substance than the likes of Bend it Like Beckham and East is East. Important questions are raised about racism and assimilation, but also about the fight we all face against peer pressure and the battle to place our own unique stamp on the world. On a lighter note, the scene when the Grandma whips out the Kirpan is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time! Definitely worth seeing.
½ July 31, 2008
i had wanted to see this for ages. but it was so dull and i guess it was made worse by the thick yorkshire accents.
July 24, 2008
omgomgomg ilove!!!!! this film gd best ahhh like rent basc
July 16, 2008
I really enjoyed this film and the young actresses are great
½ July 15, 2008
I loved the part where the old grandma laughs and takes out her sword to fight...it was hilarious!!!
½ July 14, 2008
Watchable rather than outstanding in any way. Kathy Burke on good form as always. Relies too much on the 'comedy Brummie' treatment.