Red Doors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Doors Reviews

February 6, 2013
I'm not sure I'm able to accept the amount of indulgence this movie approves of which throws off the entire premise, but its a cheeky little film. The cinematography looks like that of a flim student. Every room is separated into threes by wallpaper/bookshelves/windows. I felt like I was being deliberately taught the rule of thirds all over again, but whatever. I still know Georgia Lee is a better director than I.
½ January 28, 2012
Particular story line, quite liked it
½ January 25, 2012
come on, mia and julie?? get out, totally unconvincing and my biggest beef with this flick.
the second half was more 'fun', but this tale about a dysfunctional asian american family's still quite ridden with cliches.
it felt like a first time director's work-in-progress.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Norr.
October 31, 2011
Awful and cliched. Agonising to sit through all 90 minutes of this. Tells you nothing new or insightful about Asian-American families.
½ September 16, 2011
Almost crosses the line into stereotypical "look at the crazy Asian family," but here the crazy is rather non-stereotypical. Though it is perhaps too similar to "Saving Face," which was a better film. Also, the acting is too frequently sub-par.
hunterjt13
April 15, 2011
A comically suicidal father, a FOB-ie mother, and their three daughters, including an Asian punk, an advertising executive, and a lesbian doctor, try to find their place in American culture.
This film's strengths are its ability to present characters who are both flawed and genuinely good human beings. By the end of the film, I couldn't help but root for each of these people. Also, there are profoundly effective moments when we share in the joy and nostalgia that each of these characters feels for their old culture and lost youth. Backed against these dramatic moments are some very funny segments. The relatively violent flirtation between Katie and the boy at school provides some good comic relief, and for those of you who find a sick humor in ludicrously executed suicide attempts, Ed is your guy. Finally, I think there is the perfect balance between telling the story via dialogue and images.
Unfortunately, I can't say that the characters ever rise beyond types. Most of them fall into some Asian-American stereotype. Thus, the film, in its attempt to problematize the dominant view of the Asian-American experience, ultimately doesn't add enough complication or personalization.
Overall, Red Doors is a strong film, but it could have been so much more.
½ February 17, 2011
I actually found this movie to be funny.
½ February 1, 2011
I was ready for 4.5 stars, until the ending left off at the wrong place....
I still laughed my ass off through the whole thing.......
½ February 1, 2011
Very Funny, but the ending was unresolved.
½ September 17, 2010
This is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It's beautiful, it's about family and not a cinema family, it's so true. It's amazing.
½ June 8, 2010
Character study about an asian american family. Mom, dad, 3 daughters, and a dog. I like the quirky dad and youngest daughter, and the mom. The other two daughter stories were more run of the mill. And why do asian american movies all have chinese chicks with white guys?
May 28, 2010
hilarious movie, definitely recommend it, especially if youre a little under the weather (:
March 19, 2010
What a great movie! Funny and endearing, with such a cute ending. I'm going to be such a sap here, but it was nice to see everyone get happy.
August 5, 2009
Hilarious! Fantastic ! Everyone should watch it !
½ July 15, 2009
A good, but not great family comedy/drama about an asian family after the kids have grown up. Things are not quite all right in the family as the dad is depressed, the youngest sister is getting in trouble at school, and the second eldest daughter is a lesbian that has not come out to her mom yet. All in all, it's worth a watch, but it feels cheaply made. The acting is only okay, there isn't really anything stellar about the script that hasn't been done before, and the cinematography is only good enough to work. That said, it was entertaining and enjoyable... a light movie.
½ July 1, 2009
very wothy multicharacter film.
½ June 27, 2009
What a sad movie!! But it is so common in most Chinese families.
½ June 12, 2009
A bit weird and complicated, but at least I've liked it in the end.

Julie: I'm so sorry.
Mia: It's fine.
Julie : You know what I'll get you a new one.
Mia: It's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
[as she leans in for a kiss]
May 7, 2009
I found this movie enchanting, such an amazing portrayal of family life. However the ending made me very sad.