The Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woods Reviews

March 2, 2016
Genuinely fascinating horror film, with Patricia Clarkson a standout as the quiet-spoken, seemingly reasonable head mistress. Bruce Campbell has an unusually serious role here.
½ January 18, 2016
Overwrought silliness about plant people in a girls' school...or something.
January 9, 2016
First and foremost, Lucky McKee is an extremely talented filmmaker. That is further evidenced here. This film works on some levels, but I can't deny there's parts of me it just didn't resonate with. The cast is great, MVP Agnes Bruckner. The story a very nice campfire story in many regards. But there is an element of horror lacking... And then the ending felt very "Dark City" to me... But without the cool music track "You Have The Power" underscoring it... Maybe in a fan edit. Regardless, I'm very happy Lucky McKee is making movies. And, hey, it super passes the Bechdel Test. =P
½ January 4, 2016
6.8/10
Very interesting and creepy suspense movie, with every character excellently casted. While director Lucky McKee really showcased a different side and style from his other work. Also Agnes Bruckner is such a good actress that I don't understand how she hasn't had her big break.
~January 4, 2016~
November 27, 2015
The acting for this movie was kind of dull, and the storyline was not good. There was potential for this movie to be good, but the trees that were witches wrapping the girls up in their sleep with their vires and branches was just too much exaggerated that's what killed this movie, and also it moved very slow, sometimes you can get lost. So for this not being a very satisfying movie but it was okay, I give " The Woods " a D.
½ October 4, 2015
Did this film have a low budget or does everything look super horrible on This TV? It was a weird and confusing plot, it felt like it was done before. I expected more out of it. I was really looking forward to this being a really good film, it ended up just being really boring and unnecessarily gory towards the end. The ending was pretty lame too. And for Bruce Campbell, this had to easily be one of his most random and minor roles to date.
September 19, 2015
Clarkson adds a touch of grace to the movie but there are no scares or any real tension.
½ September 10, 2015
The Woods is an well acted movie, with good performances by Patricia Clarkson as Ms. Traverse, and it has an interesting narrative, an original story and good thrills, and if wasn't its lazy final act, the movie would be more than an interesting but lazy product.
½ September 8, 2015
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Fair mystery/horror movie about a boarding school with only girls. The girls are there for different reasons and the story is about one girl that begin there after some problems with her mother. Strange things started to happen at the school and the forest around seems to have something to do with it...
September 6, 2014
The beauty of the movie does not counterbalances his strange twisted mystery.
½ August 22, 2014
A confused script saved by the direction and the interpretation from Patrica Clarkson.
April 23, 2014
My Favorite Horror Film Is 1973's The Exorcist.
March 15, 2014
Looking at old movies today on Chiller channel.
½ March 1, 2014
just ok not that scary
NaWia
February 23, 2014
I always have hard times to review a Movie based upon real facts. The rating speaks for itself...I hope
December 6, 2013
Lucky McKee manages to put out decent low budget films time and time again. Clearly lacking budget, his film do tend to have a lackluster look to them but they are generally solid in terms of acting and story. The Woods is yet another film that manages to have the atmosphere, acting, setting and concept needed to make it entertaining.
Having Bruce Campbell in a film where the woods aren't exactly safe seems very familiar and his character does tend to take on Evil Dead like aspects but as he is not the main subject of the film, the camp is short and sweet and doesn't ruin the mood of the film.
While the story of the witches could have used a little fleshing out and the film tends to be pretty predictable, I truly enjoyed the atmosphere the movie had and didn't even mind the poor CG tree work.
Not everyone's cup of tea, The Woods is sure to please anyone out there looking for a killer tree movie.
½ October 24, 2013
A very average horror movie that gets a little better when Bruce Campbell shows up.
September 29, 2013
This film has a lot of "greats" like acting, effects, dark eeriness, and Bruce Campbell. What it lacks is a real violence, swearing, and nudity to deserve an R rating. It also ends with these seemingly powerful and crafty witches who have been waiting for years being easily defeated by their own stupidity. This film needed some teeth but comes off as a well polished PG-13 teen flick.
September 10, 2013
It was just alright, nothing special about it at all but worth the watch. Not something i'd watch again though