Relative Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Relative Strangers Reviews

January 16, 2014
kathy bates and danny devito play parents from hell to a yuppie self-help author. after finding out he was adopted, dr. richard clayton seeks out his real parents and they turn out to be redneck carnies with a last name that is related to the word shit (manure). i had some high hopes that this would stink like manure, but it turned out to smell more like scented fertilizer. cliches are abound in a typical comedy of this sort, but they were tolerable due to the performances. the actors involved looked to be having fun with this desperate material. the nightmare sequence left me in stitches.
February 16, 2013
Aside from some liberal propaganda, not a bad comedy.
½ November 15, 2012
dany devito has nice movies and this one made me laugh all the time..they say its a cop of meet the parents but i havent seen it..
October 24, 2012
talented cast, whacked out story.
May 23, 2012
I really got a bunch of good laughs outta this.I watched it twice.lol.real funny
May 19, 2012
Burger again... Cute. I love Kathy Bates
½ April 10, 2012
although cheezy is the first thing to come to mind... the story is funny and cute
½ February 23, 2012
sorta entertaining but also very abnocious
½ January 3, 2012
Awe Kathy Bates made a funny!!!
January 3, 2012
With my favorite actress............
October 28, 2011
An apparently successful snobbish guy from a family of snobs is told that he had been adopted. He finds his birth parents who turn out to be taseless lowlives. The two factions continue to embarrass each other until the snobbish guy makes peace with his inner pig and invites the birth faminy to his wedding where everybody reconciliates.
August 4, 2011
Kind of annoyed me....a lot. Not a bad movie. I think the only part that really did anything for me was the button scene.
June 4, 2011
well it was ok , i was not in2 it a lot
xxdebxx
May 22, 2011
Dr. Richard Clayton (Ron Livingston) seems to be living the perfect idyllic life. He is a successful psychologist-turned-writer and his latest book on anger management is doing well. In addition, he is engaged to a beautiful and sexy Ellen (Neve Campbell). But one day his disgruntled and jealous brother Mitch spills the family's dirty laundry that he, Richard, is the adopted sibling of the family. Richie's snobbish uptight parents who are prominent country club members (Edward Hermann and Christine Baranski) concede that it is true. Feeling betrayed Richard decides to track down his birth parents expecting to find upper class educated people to justify his talent and success.

At Ellen's urging, he hires a detective to find them. Soon after, Frank (Danny DeVito) and Agnes Menure ~it's French~ (Kathy Bates) from Pekin arrive on the good doc's doorstep and announce that they are his true father and mother. It is a shock, as the Menures are traveling carnival trailer park folks who are the complete opposite of his adoptive parents and brawling country hicks. They eat meat while Richard prefers wheat gluten. They curse and have loud sex in the room next door. The scene where he hides in a closet and is privy to DeVito and Bates having sex on a bed, brought tears to my eyes. They're not anything like he imagined. Can he learn to accept them for who they are and love them unconditionally?

Kathy Bates and Danny Devito are a riot playing off each other while Beverly D'Angelo is almost unrecognizable as his tacky future mother-in-law.
February 8, 2011
Dire, dire, dire, dire! On second thoughts..... still dire!
½ January 16, 2011
71%

Despite DeVito and Bates excellent preformances, as well as the rest of the cast, it just wasn't funny.
December 26, 2010
Was pretty funny to me.. ended okay and the characters were not bad at all. Wondered how Danny Devito and Kathy Bates would fit the parts, but they were just okay I'd say. An okay watch for those who want something a little funny but not necessarily hysterical.
September 17, 2010
It was ok not very funny and he was really a prick to his real parents
½ August 11, 2010
A highly successful anger management specialist has everything going for him, a beautiful fiancée, a thriving career and an extremely well to do upper class family behind him. Until one day his brother drops the bomb that he was adopted. On the search for his biological parents he stumbles into a nightmare.

Averagely funny! However it does let your mind switch off with the inane stupidity of the story. I did feel as though I had seen this storyline before on numerous occasions. It would be nice to see something funny with an original story.

It's a shame because I did expect more from the cast that are billed in this film.
June 20, 2010
As stupid as this movie generally is Devito and Bates were pretty funny at times. I wonder how they got convinced to be a part of this project.