Her Majesty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Her Majesty Reviews

January 18, 2014
good historical drama based upon actual events
February 19, 2013
Nice film for young teens. Very sweet...
April 24, 2012
Sincere and heartfelt, but it's just a bit too earnest for its own good..
½ January 23, 2009
Family film from New Zealand told from the perspective of a young teen. She's persistent and has lots of heart. A bit sappy but the messages of racial tolerance, truth overcoming falsehoods, and the importance of friendship are positive and worth watching.
December 10, 2008
A slow movie but it was a good story... kinda touching!
September 15, 2008
Good story, good values... Hmmm... What else? Oh yes! The girl who played the young elizebeth did a great job but her teeth just bugged me! They were SO crooked and yellow!
May 26, 2008
Cute, but missed the mark on authenticity
March 10, 2008
A sweet touching story about a New Zealand girl who has always wanted to meet Queen Elizabeth and writes and asks her to come visit her town. One day she finds out that the Queen is coming, but her friendship with an outcast Aboriginal could prevent her from meeting the queen.
February 12, 2008
Ended up watching this film on my own...
January 19, 2008
Good family viewing movie.
December 4, 2007
If you are looking for a movie where the story is told fairly well through the eyes of a pre-teen girl, this is it! Unfortunately, that's not what I was looking for.
½ September 23, 2007
I thought this film from New Zealand was darling and would be something a little different for families to watch together. This coming-of-age film has great classic ingredients: tolerance of people different than you, first crush, and a dream that could come true.
½ July 16, 2007
A movie about prejudice and communication amongst other things.
June 4, 2007
My dad knows the director and my mom cried in the movie theatre (please try to see it)
½ August 27, 2006
5.5/10. This film suffers from an excess of the cutsies. My main problem with the film is the amateurish acting and some major over acting. The story means well, but it is predictable. Some wonderful New Zealand scenery is a plus. Some of the fantasy scenes are downright irritating.
February 20, 2005
Saw "Her Majesty" with my 13-year-old.
I rated this a 6 because there was something I liked about it in spite of its
shortcomings in the filmmaking department. It's trying to be somewhere between "Whale Rider" and "The Dish". Nothing wrong there as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to see more films like those two. I find "Her Majesty" to be a noble attempt for a first time director. I heard Mark Gordon speak at an early showing of this film. He wrote the story and tried really hard to find someone else to direct it. Finally he figured out that the only way to get it made was to direct it himself.
I think he did a passable job, considering. Sure it has plenty of rough spots, but it also has some really good moments as well. At times it feels like an after-school TV special, at other times it succeeds at being the film it wants to be. I found it worth the price of admission, and so did my 13-year-old.