Pope John Paul II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pope John Paul II Reviews

½ January 6, 2016
Actually pretty interesting look at the late Pontiff's life. Voight didn't do as bad of a job as I thought he was going to.
April 26, 2014
Excellent! Watched it before the evening of his canonization as ST. John Paul the GREAT. John Voigt is stupendous as the famous, world changing, pope.
½ February 17, 2013
A beautifully-rendered movie about the life of the late Pope John Paul II.
½ May 20, 2011
Empäs ole aiemmin tiennytkään, että edellinen Paavihan oli huumorimiehiä. :)
½ September 11, 2010
I picked this movie mainly because of the fact I was curious of the performance of Jon Voight in such a role, and I have to say I was very much impressed. This is a truly beautiful and deeply Catholic movie that gives wonderful insight into the life and pontificate of the Venerable John Paul II. Cary Elwes plays a wonder young (and later, elder) Karol Wojtyla. I have to say the most striking parts for me were when John Paul II learns of about the limitations inflicted upon him by his broken hip and later his Parkinson's disease. Jon Voight does a wonderful job of giving us insight into the Holy Father's frustration and confusion during these moments, and then his eventual "overcoming" of such suffering through his faith in Christ's mission for him. I highly recommend this film to everyone.
August 5, 2010
Harmi, että DVD:lle on julkaistu vain 1h 46min pituinen leikattu torso. TV:lle minisarjaksi kuvatussa esityksessä olisi aineistoa yli kolmeksi tunniksi. Tiivistys ei toimi sillä katsoja huomaa helposti, että välistä uupuu jotain. Lisäksi musiikki olisi tullut sovittaa tähän uudelleen, koska usein kohtauksen vaihtuessa se katkeaa hölmösti kesken. Muutoin kyseessä on hienosti toteutettu elämänkerta. Cary Elwes esittää nuorta Carol Wojtylaa aina paavin valintaan asti, jonka jälkeen Jon Voight hoitaa varsinaisen "paavi"osuuden.Voight'n muuntuminen pikkuhiljaa sairaaksi ja kuolemaa tekeväksi paaviksi on hämmästyttävä.
February 23, 2010
I am completely biased because I am a Catholic and love John Paul the Great, and I am a fan of Cary Elwes's acting. However, this three hour film should be at least some treat to anyone that has an appreciation for men that move history.
December 11, 2009
Esta pelicula narra la interesante vida del Papa Juan Pablo II con muchas anecdotas historicas, me gusto mucho!!!
½ July 24, 2009
good portrayal and an interesting biography. a bit lengthy at 3 hours though.
½ May 1, 2009
An exceptionally well-crafted biopic, cinematically it's beautiful, so kudos to the DP and Director there. It's also remarkably accurate, not only in JP2's life but in his personality, which they captured quite well. The film is a biopic through and through: not only do they touch on major events, but the film depicts his life in the form of a story (i.e. while some biopics such as Oliver Stone's "W." have bits of randomness because they expect you to know the gaps in between, this JP2 film gives us the reason for things that happened whether we know it or not, such as the specifics that led him to become a priest and the circumstances of how he became Pope).

If I have a criticism, it is the transition from Cary Elwes to Jon Voight. But you have to understand that the film is essentially divided into two halves. Elwes depicts Wojtyla's early life, includes his decision to become a priest and ends precisely when he is elected Pope. Voight picks it up right there, when the new Pope is announced to the world. I watched the three-hour DVD in one sitting, so to me it looked like Wojtyla aged spontaneously in a matter of seconds. But on CBS the film was shown on two nights: they probably showed part 1 (Elwes) on day 1 and ended exactly when he's elected Pope, and day 2 started right where the film left off, so to people having a night to reflect on the change or if they hadn't seen part 1, the shift to Voight probably didn't come as a surprise because of the buffer period. The choice for the transition, cinematically speaking, was either an artistic one or done because they knew of CBS's plan to show the film over the course of two days. Usually transitions between actors depicting one life happen over a significant time jump, of which there were many in this film: for instance, they could've easily shifted to Jon Voight in the ten year period following him being named Bishop. But again I don't know if that's really a criticism or simply personal preference, that's how I would've done it, at least. But on some level I suppose it is a criticism when you consider that the transition wasn't exactly a seamless one, in the story-telling sense. We were reminded that there were two actors instead of one character.

Overall, though, the film was one of the best I'd ever seen. It's engrossing to anyone: not just Catholics, but non-Christians and nonbelievers as well. So I'd recommend it if you're ever curious about the life of John Paul II.
½ March 8, 2009
Bör kanske ses som en fakatafilm/dokumentär...
January 7, 2009
A powerful masterpiece.
½ December 30, 2008
Poor script; mediocre acting; great photography, dreadful direction.
½ July 22, 2008
Very well-done movie, touching and educational. The only difficulty I had was when they transferred from Cary Elwes to Jon Voight. It's like "whoa!" I guess when it was viewed as a miniseries they probably coordinated that transition with the break, giving the audience a day to soften the difference.
July 9, 2008
A very powerful film that does a great job of portraying Karol Wojtyla's life from early adulthood up to his death. There are flashbacks to his childhood that help to understand why he is who he is. I love Pope John Paul II and it's amazing how well John Voight portrays him as an older pope. Cary Elwes is amazing!