First Born - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Born Reviews

January 2, 2015
Mystery drama movie about a woman that having a child for her first time. She and her husband move to a new place and she get some strange visions / see things happen etc. Fair movie..
½ July 29, 2014
My Rating: 2.5/5 stars; Grade: C+; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Mediocre or So-So (Rotten); Emoticon: :-|.
½ March 9, 2014
I really don't understand the hate for this one. Yes, it's not an original idea, but it is still very effective in creating an unsettling atmosphere and keeping the viewer's attention. I quite liked it, and with a couple of tweaks, it could have been a great film.
July 24, 2013
This is actually a very good movie, I think the reason it doesn't have good reviews is that horror movie fans or slasher movie fans have watched it in hopes of a simple horror movie.
This is a psychological thriller with in depth look into the world of a lonely woman suffering from postpartum depression and what it brings on.
Once the movie ends you notice one of the scenes you had witnessed moments ago was truly and deeply horrific.
If you like kind of slow tempo psychological thrillers this is the movie for you. Enjoy.
½ June 7, 2013
movie seemed way too long, lacking some action
½ January 3, 2013
Having missed the very beginning (that probably was a good thing) this movie left me shaking my head over and over throughout. Who's diary was she reading? What was it that the babysitter left tied under the crib? What was the meaning of the doll that kept popping up all over? WHAT was with the exterminator doing ballet in the basement all about? I was hoping for some kind of redemption at the end....a meaningful reason to say, "OHH! Now I get it!" So, if you watch this movie and wait for isn't going to happen. I was left with NO redemption and a sore neck. The only good thing was Elizabeth's performance, she did a pretty good job acting wacko.
December 16, 2012
I'm half way through this movie and NOTHING has happened yet. I'm so bored. Time to change the channel.
December 5, 2012
AWFUL MOVIE!!!!!!!!'
August 22, 2012
The First Born was a Non-Hollywood formulated film, that prided itself on not being another clique'. However it's slow paced story was like watching fries cook in the oven, nothing much to see except Shue Character slowly expose her insanity to the world.
If you've lived through or like 80's movies you'll know Elisabeth Shue from The Adventures of Babysitting. Since then she's taken to the back bunner with Mildly successful films and occational guest appearances on TV.
½ July 12, 2012
Terrible. Waste of time. I fell asleep, went back to see what I missed, fell asleep again, went back AGAIN, fell asleep then finally decided..THIS MOVIE SUCKS
½ June 4, 2012
Thriller?? Not hardly!! It was boring, had too many open-ended plot lines. Oh, and can you say sloooooowww.......
May 15, 2012
Best tagline ever: "Stay away from the baby."
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
December 2, 2011
Creepy as hell....yet another reason NEVER to have a baby!!!
September 27, 2011
Elizabeth Shue does a great job portraying Laura, a gorgeous, bright dancer who gets pregnant and moves into a country home for peace and safety with her husband, a busy attorney from NYC (Steven Mackintosh) who goes right back to work in the city, leaving her alone for long periods of time. Laura begins to imagine things and things take a turn for the worse especially when her pet dog is accidentally poisoned after eating rat poison that she planted in her house. Laura's deep guilt over her dog`s death leads to her feeling that she won't be a good and caring mother to her soon to be born child.

Her hallucinations and the way her mind goes downhill is believable and the viewer is left questioning whether these creepy things are the subconscious manifestations of Laura's unwillingness to be a mother or if there is something really sinister going on beyond her control. The ending was a twist that was somewhat expected, but still a bit of a shock so if you enjoy a psychological thriller then look no further.
½ September 15, 2011
I wanted to smack Shue's character soooo bad (and I don't hit women). Lots of moody music that leads up to nothing really. Very predicable.
September 4, 2011
It was kind of interesting but I literally guessed everything that happened. It was very predictable. I never truly thought it was boring, but because of it's confusion, (the babysitter thing seemed pointless to me) it just wasn't that great of a movie.
June 26, 2011
O mesmo que desagrada a muitos que viram o filme à (C) na verdade o real mà (C)rito dele: ele foi 'vendido' como terror, mas na verdade à (C) um drama misturado com suspense, pois nada à (C) o que parece. Elisabeth Shue está muito bem no papel dramático da mãe de 1ª viagem Laura, que de superprotetora passa a desequilibrada, mostrando a manifestação de uma doença real, que nada tem de sobrenatural.
June 26, 2011
O mesmo que desagrada a muitos que viram o filme é na verdade o real mérito dele: ele foi 'vendido' como terror, mas na verdade é um drama misturado com suspense, pois nada é o que parece. Elisabeth Shue está muito bem no papel dramático da mãe de 1ª viagem Laura, que de superprotetora passa a desequilibrada, mostrando a manifestação de uma doença real, que nada tem de sobrenatural.
June 12, 2011
If you ever had postpartum depression you are gonna relate with this movie it takes you to the many stages of this sickness. It took me back to my own sickening depression. If you are a guy or a woman who has never suffer this, you are not gonna understand what this movie is all about. Elisabeth did a grear acting job.