In the Shadow of the Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Shadow of the Moon Reviews

November 12, 2012
I was informed of this movie by the one and only Tom DeLonge, who had only good things to say about it, and I must say he was right. This documentary is amazing! It really does remind you how big a deal it was to land on the moon. There is also a nice message conveyed in the end.
½ September 30, 2012
There was nothing really new in this documentary about the Apollo astronauts. Several of them tell their stories over stock footage of their missions. But these are real-life space explorers. They've literally been where no one had gone before (or has gone since) and the risks were huge.

The most moving segments were the scenes of people around the world huddled in front of tiny TV sets watching Neil Armstrong set foot on the Moon in the name of all mankind, and the scenes where the astronauts tell what it was like after the program was over and they had to live with the fact that the greatest accomplishments of their lives were behind them. These men, all in their 70s when the interviews were shot, had to find various ways to come to terms with the fact that nothing else they had done would matter as much as those few years of achieving a dead president's mission to beat the Soviets to the Moon.

It was an absolutely astounding achievement, a massive undertaking by engineers, scientists, technicians, pilots, administrators, and politicians that may never happen again. Yes, it's a story that's been told before. But it's a marvellous story nonetheless, each and every time.
September 13, 2012
Reaffirms what an awesome scientific and human event this whole undertaking was.
½ July 18, 2012
More of a compelling movie than another Apollo documentary. A high recommendation for the music and filmmaking alone.
½ July 8, 2012
Great documentary about the men on the moon, with real testimonies, facts, real people, authentic stories and real heroes.
½ July 2, 2012
Excellent documentary about the start of the American space program told first-hand by the pioneer astronauts. The director maximises the number of sequences with old chronicles and first video recordings of the training, Apollo 11 flight and the astronauts' several minutes on the Moon, keeping the audience busy with interesting stories real and fictional, with plenty of 'tasty' details regarding the memorable flight.
May 6, 2012
Some amazing footage & captures the sense of wonder & exploration that captured the world at a unique time in history. At times a little slow, but anyone can appreciate this fascinating look at man's journey into space.
½ May 6, 2012
This documentary had been in production for over five years when it was finally released in 2007. Previously thought lost footage was found during the production and went through an extensive restoration.

The documentary is presented in such a way, that anyone, "space nerds" like myself or someone with no knowledge of space flight can enjoy the story of Apollo.

I originally gave this a four star rating, but after reviewing it over and over in my head, the newly restored NASA films and beautifully told stories got to me, and I am now giving it a final score of four and a half.

4.5 stars.
½ May 3, 2012
One might think, what could be so interesting about a bunch of old men yapping? But cinema is visual story telling, and these old men have one heck of a story to tell.
April 29, 2012
i was absolutely spellbound by this documentary. It is sumptuous, awe inspiring and made me hopeful for the future. and the astronauts and everyone interviewed were such delightful individuals. its beautiful.
½ April 19, 2012
Absolutely wonderful stuff.
½ March 8, 2012
A quick-hit recap of NASA's Apollo missions in the late '60s and early '70s, as remembered by eight of the men to actually reach the moon. Neil Armstrong's absence is conspicuous and disappointing, as his words upon first setting foot on the lunar surface have become so synonymous with the triumphs of the program, but his peers offer plenty of insight and more than a few fascinating tidbits about the hours leading up to their days in history. As always, the astronauts' testimony is honest and revealing - in their twilight years, these guys have nothing to hide - and proves just how risky the idea of space travel really was in that era. The archival footage of each mission is still amazing, beautiful, silencing material, but almost all of that has been seen ad infinitum by this point and the few scraps of unseen film that were dug up for the production aren't anything worth writing home about. It's a subject I'll never tire of, and hearing the story of its inception told from the men who lived it is a rare opportunity. I just wish it were more in-depth and probing, because in the end it's basically reshuffling a very familiar story in a slightly original way.
½ February 23, 2012
In the Shadow of the Moon is a documentary about the Apollo space missions. It includes footage of the astronauts and interviews with the surviving members of the space program. It is a great look at the drive and historical accomplishment of these great men of the NASA program. These men are truly heroes and had a rare privilege of going to space and beyond. It is worth watching.
½ January 25, 2012
A comprehensive 'space buffs' documentary that provides detailed interviews along with stock footage of the first lunar landing.
January 1, 2012
Inspirational cinema that hits all of its marks. A beautiful documentary that touches all aspects of our Apollo program from the engineering, political, personal, and spiritual. Humanity in its place among the stars in space.

Lots of great NASA footage that you don't really see in the 5 second clips in pop culture, and a great document of the astronaut's own experiences while they're still here.
½ December 17, 2011
When i grew up 'Space' didn't blow my mind. I knew people went up there on a regular basis and it seemed like a waste of money. So watching a documentary about the first Moon landing sounded boring. But i loved 'In The Shadow of the Moon' and that speaks volumes about how well this is made. There is so much new footage here! Just the shot of the truck standing next to the launching pad had my jaw on the floor. The interviews with the people involved are fantastic.
December 12, 2011
Superior documentary on the Apollo space program.
December 9, 2011
Brilliant doco on the moon landings from the people who really did it. Fascinating insight into the moment by moment details and feelings of those involved, in particular the astronaut's views of the earth from the moon and after they got back. Could have been longer and more detailed. Mike Collins rocks!
½ December 2, 2011
Outstanding documentary on the Apollo era. Many gorgeous shots of the landings themselves (especially in blu-ray) plus clips from news broadcasts of the time the give a hint of how earth shaking the moon landings were. Elegant time capsule from a glorious period.
November 26, 2011
turns out i prefer real footage to cgi movie blockbusters. and how adorable is michael collins?! i think we'd get along quite well in space.