My Best Friend Reviews

• Oct 27, 2016

French language - with subtitles A whimsical, light hearted film, with Daniel Auteuil as a successful art dealer running a business with his gorgeous colleague. The film opens with them at an auction, where he bids crazily high for a greek vase that was ostensibly created by a friend for a friend, much to the annoyance and bafflement of his partner. It frames the basis of the film - he clearly has a sentimental regard for friendship and yet a bit later at a restaurant table filled with his colleagues it becomes clear that in fact he has no friends. They see him as a cold fish. To prove the point his work partner points out that she is a lesbian and he didn't even know it because he never asked about her personal life. So she places a bet - prove to them that he has a friend - a best friend - by the end of the month or he loses the vase. A bit later, in a taxi shared with his daughter, it is apparent that he does not even have a normal relationship with his own daughter, who refuses to call him dad or anything else. The taxi driver however, begins to spout out boring facts about the city. Auteuil now goes to a bookshop to buy a book 'How to Make Friends', which does not help. Then he realises that the taxi driver is naturally sociable and offers to pay him to teach him how to be friendly. The taxi man sees straight away that he hasn't a clue. We see a few scences where Auteuil fails miserably in making friends. He even tracks down an old school 'mate' but who quickly pours scorn on his efforts. Eventually though, he does make a friend - the taxi driver has his own issues, and Auteuil eventually helps him out as a good friend should. A charming, warm-hearted film.

• Aug 21, 2014

A guy without any perspective about friendship and the movie is a funny way to discover. There are people around me like this, so I know how to have them around :)

• Jul 23, 2014

Very simplistic premise with a very Odd Couple feeling. You can't help but fall in love with Bruno who helps this sad, bitter man find a heart.

• Jul 11, 2014

good french com-dram

good french com-dram

• Mar 18, 2013

A best friend will be aware only he knowledge his/her bad impact inside.

A best friend will be aware only he knowledge his/her bad impact inside.

• Aug 06, 2012

Awsom movie!!! Funny & will tug @ Ur heart strings!!!

Awsom movie!!! Funny & will tug @ Ur heart strings!!!

• Jul 06, 2012

A good bromance film.

A good bromance film.

• Jul 06, 2012

I remember thinking this was enjoyable, but quite frankly I don't really remember anything about it.

• Jun 14, 2012

Really made me reconsider French cinema - in a positive way. I could never relate to the characters in the French movies for soe reason. This movie is unexpectedly accessible. Probably a crowd-pleaser compared to other French films, but just right for me. Great story about a friendship between two almost opposite characters. Daniel Auteuil must be on of the most charismatic actors I have seen in a while.

• Apr 25, 2012

I really enjoyed My Best Friend. The characters are loveable and the upbeat music tugs at the heart strings making it almost certainly enjoyable to any viewer. The endearing plot was bittersweet, taking on the heavy topics of struggling to connect and build friendships and characters realizing but never quite achieving their dreams. The director Patrice Leconte started his feature film career in 1973 and still churns out beloved films to date. His success came with Monsieur Hire (1989), before this his films were only released and well known in France but after this film his filmâ(TM)s reach spread internationally. During the early 2000s Leconte produced a few semi-well known movies that made it to America, Man on the Train and Intimate Strangers. My Best Friend was made in 2006 and in 2009 rumors of a remake surfaced but no date has been set. One idea in the film is that of friendships and connections are important no matter what walk of life you originate from. Both Francois and Bruno are seeking real connections having been disappointed and disillusioned. Francois was disappointed and disillusioned at dinner when his business partner and guests told him he was âfriendlessâ? and explained how he was seen negatively to others. Bruno was disappointed and disillusioned prior to the movie plot and the viewer learns why someone as friendly and personable as Bruno is seems disconnected. Brunoâ(TM)s wife left him for his best friend. For both Francois and Bruno the friendship they built filled a void, a connection they were searching for despite their backgrounds being so different. A second idea is that people can be genuinely misunderstood, even those seeming selfish and unrelatable you can find common ground with. In the movie Francois didnâ(TM)t have friends because he didnâ(TM)t treat people right or obey social norms. Brunoâ(TM)s approach as non-threatening and helpful led them to connect and find common ground, for Francois to open up, and eventually connect. It gives hope that even the most difficult and seemingly different pair of people can find common ground if the approach and intent is right. The music in My Best Friend is used sparingly and effectively. An example is when Francois is upset, starring at the vase, music plays to make the viewer feel sad and thoughtful but in other important moments like when Francois is eating dinner with Brunoâ(TM)s family or when Francois is confronted at his birthday with the fact he has no friends there is no music so that the viewer feels awkward and keenly focused on the dialogue. The lighting also is a wonderful tool my favorite example is during Who Wants to be a Millionaire when the lighting is different for each of the characters. Bruno on stage is very visible, with the bright lights the viewer feels how uncomfortable he is under the spotlight. This is contrasted with shots to his parents in the audience under less but still visible light as they feel a part of the action supporting him, and shots to Francois at home sitting in the dark who is the silent partner helping and supporting Bruno without being even near the spotlight. Itâ(TM)s a wonderful sweet movie that will sure to make audiences laugh while touching on meaningful subjects.