Funny Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Games Reviews

½ June 25, 2016
Has a message that desperately wishes to talk down to you and chastise you, yet never really establishes its high horse. Not to mention, the message is terribly mundane and unoriginal.
June 3, 2016
esse filme me deixou tão mal e esse era o seu propósito então 5 estrelas
December 30, 2015
wow; talk about a remake -- i think the only thing different is the length of Paul's shorts! oh, and it's in English so i didn't have to read subtitles... maybe that's why they decided to remake it; because otherwise, this was very unnecessary. see my review for the original -- everything still stands.
½ December 26, 2015
Terrible movie. The plot is way too formulaic and unoriginal, even as it tries to both follow the trend of the genre and break its tropes, the suspense is not there, the violence (even though most of it is off-camera) is too brutal, and the performances are pretty bad, Watts and Pitt delivering the better.
December 22, 2015
A tense, taught haute-US-version of A Clockwork Orange. But with golf clubs.
½ December 5, 2015
Stunning performances from the entire cast that helps drive the film with consistent intensity and keeps you thinking about it for days to come.
December 2, 2015
Fairly pretentious and slow, but it's an extremely suspenseful and intense horror mocke
November 15, 2015
What's the point of an American shot-for-shot remake?
November 4, 2015
A shot-for-shot remake in English of the brilliant Austrian thriller that Haneke himself made ten years before - which makes me wonder what the point is, since it is the exact same plot. At least it is worth checking out for Naomi Watts' spectacular performance.
October 31, 2015
controversial provocative but ultimately disappointing as the filmmaker tried to be too clever and overdid it. Without the 'rewind' it would have been at least a 3stars. And the exploration of violence in movies has been done much better before and after.
October 30, 2015
It wasn't bad, but I wasn't amazed by it. The performance by Naomi Watts is awesome along with Tim Roth, Michael Pitt and Brady Corbet. Michael and Brady play excellent characters who have a couple screws loose upstairs. It was cool how they broke the 4th wall at times. What killed this for me was the ending. Felt it was kind of half assed and just thrown together and could have been so much better. Not a bad watch still at all.
½ October 25, 2015
We start off this week of halloween with Michael Haneke's second attempt for his passion project movie : Funny Games
A great assemble cast greets us with flawless acting. We dig deep into a family's vacation trip gone very wrong after we are introduced to one of the weirdest title screen i have ever seen wich we will come back later. The family gets interupted very quickly as two disturbed young mens invades them with only one intention in mind : play a twisted game. As the movie progresse we see that Michael Haneke wants to messe with audience by not letting see them violence and breaking the fourth wall with the antagonist. For some moviegoers it works but for the average moviegoer it sometimes won't. And by avoiding what most normal characters would do in the given situation just to not go in familiar territory,some of the audience will be detached from the movie and won't care for the lead protagonists in the end. It goes against all odds and it misses the great premise the movie built up in the two first acts by giving in the gimmicks that won't work half of the time. I understand the mixed reviews and it's why i rate it 2.5/5 I suggest strongly people to see this as it appeal more to people who wants more toughtful narrative over focused plot
October 22, 2015
While I love Naomi Watts acting, and there were a couple of scenes where I was very uneasy of what could happen (afraid you might say), by the end I thought it was sort of a mess... my only props in this movie are: Naomi Watts, and those two creepy dudes...
September 29, 2015
Shot for shot remake with an improvement on quality and acting. The long takes in scenes are done beautifully to add to the uncomfortable feel of the movie. Haneke asks the question of why we watch horrors/psychological thrillers brilliantly.
½ September 26, 2015
I really liked the cast and acting and thought it could have made a very interesting thriller movie. It's not usually two very young men who try to overbear the will of a whole family. However, the director had to turn the whole thing into some pathetic attempt to try to make himself seem intelligent (by broadcasting a fairly obvious message) and somehow above other horror film producers when the primary objective is, including for this film, to make money.
September 5, 2015
For lack of anything better to do I checked to see what this movie scored while trying to search for a decent horror movie. I'm not so sure I can rely on rottentomatoes for that anymore. This movie is a master piece and utterly terrifying. The film doesn't 'chastise' you. There are some 4rth wall breaking moments where the villains might say "We need plot development" or ask us "who we bet is going to live and who's going to die". It's utterly bleak and that sense of dread that I haven't found in other movies permeates through out the entire film once it gets going. There's not a dull moment, not a single moment of bad dialogue or acting, not a moment I wasn't terrified. Unlike other horror movies where the protagonists die and that's it's attempt at being dark, this movie goes so much farther. I'm not going to say if they live or if they die, but it made me feel what those other movies were trying to accomplish with those types of endings through out the film. You're always feeling helpless, hoping the family can get away; you're always feeling extremely tense; and it's that feeling of true hopelessness and helplessness which adds to the terror so much. These guys always have the upper hand and they revel in it and their sadistic games. This is without a doubt at least worth a try.
September 5, 2015
Expertly shot and the greatest troll movie I've ever seen. Warning: You will be upset from this movie and have no sense of resolution when it's over!
August 8, 2015
Great build of suspense and fear, but the villains got tiresome toward the end, and one little 10 second, nonsensical scene destroyed the entire movie for me. Were they magic? What the hell was that!?
½ July 27, 2015
The direction this film takes, makes it great!
½ July 2, 2015
It's incredibly tryhard. It doesn't watch like a demented film, it watches like a film trying to be cool and demented.