The Thirst - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thirst Reviews

August 31, 2013
Cinematography: 5/10 Insufficient lighting, soft focus, grainy final presentation. There's a bit of jerkiness from the low light and cameras that cannot handle it.

Sound: 10/10 Rather good. Had several tracks that were witty and fitting.

Screenplay: 3/10 Poor. Fifteen minutes of story. The exposition of motivations was terrible.

Acting: 3/10 So many actors, so many bad performances. Jeremy Sisto disappointed as usual. Clare Kramer and Adam Baldwin were a bit of OK, but the rest I could have done without. The coming and going of various accents was a disappointment.

Special Effects: 0/10 Abysmal. The blood sprays and the bursting into flames are laughable.
March 10, 2013
OK, I rented it because of one word - Vampires, but I didn't even make it through the entire movie before putting the disc back into it's Netflix envelope to send back. The acting left much to be desired and the storyline wasn't very good either. This movie could have been done so much better.
November 30, 2012
to be honest I kinda liked this movie, it was a very bloody film I loved it, it was actually better than what I thought, it starred Adam Baldwin and Jeremy Sisto, I would love it on DVD, I loved it
May 18, 2012
i don't really know what to say about this movie it was awesome & werid!! a lot of gore & nudely!! & i got lost in the story in some parts & what up with the sakely camera??? is that to show their hunger or they don't know what going on??? it look like their where on some kind drug or something!! but i like this movie & i'm thinking of watching it agein & maybe i'll understand it more on my sec veiwing!!!
April 30, 2012
So-so vampire film about a young woman who ends up not dying from cancer but instead gets bitten by a vamp much to the initial suprise of her boyfriend but he eventually gives in and gets turned into a vampire to and lives with a vampy family led by Jeremy Sisto who can't decide whether he wants to speak in an eastern European, English or American accent. One point he even sounds Irish! To be fair thats the only really shit thing about the film as the director uses some interesting shots and styles, the soundtrack is pretty cool and theres some gore to. Basically the girl and her boyfriend become addicted to blood and don't want to be but are told its forbidden and all that stuff. It wasn't as bleak as i thought it would be actually. I haven't worked out if thats a good thing or not. Not the best and most original vampire movie but not the worst either.
½ April 17, 2012
I've seen worse...I'm sure I have...oh, wait
February 27, 2012
Gotta support ex-Firefly peeps.
½ February 7, 2012
Unlikeable characters, boring story.
January 8, 2012
When Lisa is diagnosed with the terminal cancer, she decides to take her own life, and her boyfriend discovers her dead in the bath tub. But he soon finds out that things are not always what they seem.

The story starts off with quite an arty feel, and then soon begins to borrow ideas from other 'vampire clan' movies, and then ends up in a whole good versus evil bloodbath. The cast all play their characters with glee, especially Clare Kramer who seems to have got mania down to a fine art. The direction is solid, but the use of red lighting in places makes things a little hard to make out and the sound can be a little muffled at times. The gore is frequent, bloody, and there are enough torn out veins and arteries to keep any horror fan happy. This is one of those vampire films that tries to have an epic storyline, but the limitations of the the budget just gets in the way. The story seems to want to get virtually every vampire cliche it possibly can in to one movie, and though it is fun to watch, it does have a habit of running a little wild in places. This would have just been all sorted out if the budget was a little bit bigger and the story was a little more tightly written.
September 9, 2011
Strong cast of actors in this film so it should have been MUCH better than what it was. The storyline was weak and had little consistency. Terribly over the top gore. The vampires did not puncture their victims necks, they just ripped a big chunk of their throat out. As a result, blood is spraying everywhere and obviously using a cheap blood pump. Lots of sexual content. That was even annoying. There is really no need to even press play for this one.
May 3, 2011
I felt no compassion for any of the characters. Even when the funneral happens in the begining it is not well shot so you feel nothing again. To entertain some the decide to have nudity every couple of minutes, some may like it but to me is just ackward. The film moves to fast and then says "what do we do now?" All there effect were unimpressing...
January 15, 2011
The whole premise of making it "'Requiem for a Dream' with vampires" isn't so much a gimmick as it is just a something tacked on in order to give this something that resembles a plot. The gore is abundant, but the acting's vacant, and overall this is quite forgettable; the thirst for quality vampire thrillers continues.
½ December 15, 2010
It's just not that good. The story itself is kinda cool at times, but also predictable. Any interesting backstory from the characters (like how Adam Baldwin's character was one of Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders and a Green Beret in Vietnam) is often just mentioned and never refered to again, teasing the audience...it's almost like they expected a sequel or something, even though the retarded ending completely eliminates that possibility. Aside from that, this movie blows because of its reliance on blood and gore, which, though extremely gross and unnecessary (it's like a really bad zombie flick at times), are horribly done, and practically laughable. No matter how little someone gets injured or bit, no matter the location of the trauma, they gush blood. It's just stupid and unnecessary, like I said, and it doesn't even look remotely realistic (especially after the scene when one of the blood pumps is blatantly visible). Aside from that, the acting is actually pretty good (especially from Adam Baldwin...I'm just sad that he's in films this bad because he's a great actor). I think the movie could have saved itself if the ending sequences weren't so obviously rushed and stupid, and if the film used the characters to its advantage, which it horribly fails at doing.
½ December 2, 2010
Characters that you feel no sympathy for turn into even less sympathetic or even interesting bloodsuckers. So bad, it's...well boring.
August 26, 2010
Ironically enough I was either going to watch THIS movie or re-watch Severance (don't ask) and I thought this movie was a SHITLOAD funnier than Severance. Here's the thing, Severance is SUPPOSED to make you laugh and its attempts are doing so are amateurish at best, so the movie isn't really a very effective comedy (nor is it a very effective horror). This movie, on the other hand, isn't supposed to be a comedy (at least I don't think...) but it's absolutely fucking HILARIOUS. TMC on Demand is on quite a role with the awesomely terrible movies. Exit Speed and now this. This movie is just awesome, AWESOME I tell you. It's so horribly acted, so horribly shot, and the gore is so cheesy and corny, it's just something else to be completely honest. This movie's goodness relies completely on how bad it is. I really loved every minute of this goddamn movie. The movie NEVER takes itself too seriously, so that helps. The characters are so goofy and so absurd. Like Jeremy Sisto's character, I'm not exactly SURE what he was supposed to be or where he was supposed to be from but his accent seriously sounded like a mix of a southern man, man from England and a Russian dude. I don't know what the FUCK he was supposed to be, but it really helped with the comedy of this movie, as Jeremy Sisto was AWFUL in this goddamn movie, he clearly didn't give a shit. His accent also leads to the funniest line in the entire movie when he yells 'Now is not the time for fucking!' at these two crazy vampire chicks. I can't really do the line justice, because Jeremy's accent completely makes the line absolutely HILARIOUS. I laughed my ass off. AH and the aforementioned crazy chicks. These females were always fucking somebody (or trying to...hence Jeremy's GREAT line), so anyway these chicks were so absurd. They were always walking around like they were trying to scare someone. I mentioned that they looked like they were dancers from Michael Jackson's thriller music video. These 2 females greatly entertained me. And then there's the main character, he was such a fucking dork. I'm a fan of Adam Baldwin, but even HIS character wasn't the best part of the movie, the movie's just so absurd that I just laughed my ass off at all of it. And the gore, christ the gore and blood is so BAD in this movie. It looks so cheap. But that's what makes it so awesome, so it works. And THAT'S why I thought this movie was funnier than Severance. I ABSOLUTELY loved every moment I was watching this movie. But I can't help but stress that this movie is AWFUL, so don't go in expecting the next great horror movie, because you ain't getting it here. I had no problem with this movie, but it's not a movie I'd ever watch again because the movie's badness wouldn't be as charming the second time around.
½ August 23, 2010
What can I say? This has to be one of the weirdest movies I've seen this summer. I will say that this movie was pretty original, but there were many problems with it. Such as the acting; either there was no emotion put behind what they were saying or it felt completely forced. Then there was the slight problem of not being able to understand what some of the actors were saying making the movie a "little" hard to follow. And then the very disappointing climax. I could continue but then there would not be enough room.
July 20, 2010
I'm torn between two and a half stars and three on this one, so I'm giving it 3 out of fairness.
it's not the worst film I ever saw, but it certainly does fall short. On the plus side, I liked Clare Kramer's Lisa, an interesting character, (and liked her as an actress on Buffy also). I'm not sure who plays her boyfriend, but he is also fine. The story between them and Lisa's death and return is quite good.
On the downside - the gore. This is a really quite gruesome film. I don't mind horror, but I really don't like blood and gore scenes made to be as disgusting as possible. Also a big downside - the vampire "family" - like a bunch of savages, and played as convincingly. Did not like or buy any of them, not even remotely convincing.
I could not honestly recommend it, but if it interests you, give it a go, you may enjoy it. It is not all bad, but the acting from the majority of the cast leaves a lot to be desired and it is not very nicely filmed either.
July 5, 2010
Got to give it some kudos for a small bit of originality - no fangs on these vampires. Instead of a couple of small holes like a snake bite, you get a gushing artery and a bloody feast. Other than that, it is pretty bland in both story and presentation. The blood looks like food colored water. The acting is poor and the dialogue is horrid. Some attractive ladies in the movie in various states of dress but mostly covered in the "blood" so you can't make out much. The sex scenes are fairly tame and poorly executed as well. Not the best of vampire movies.
½ June 2, 2010
This flub of a film was polluted with unneccessary nudity and sex. The special effects were terrible and the acting was so dry. no thanks...