The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Reviews

Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is an interesting, though unexceptional film. The faults other viewers have noted are there, though I am more forgiving and consider that the acting, for instance, can work as part of the odd vibe of the film. The sets are very interesting to look at. The only serious flaw was the sound, which was quite poor. Viewed as a sideshow (and not a main attraction), the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is fine.
½ March 6, 2015
I appreciate the far reaching effort, innovation, homage, and a dazzling concept. It comes across as earnest, and yet its a silly and soulless caricature.
It sadly does not capture the intrigue or the creepiness of the original silent film that ran in German theatres for seven straight years after its release.
½ February 6, 2014
I love the original (favorite movie of all time) for the most part I love what the dialogue adds. I just don't like the effect with the fake Caesare. It just could have been a dummy like the original.
December 17, 2013
Not a bad retelling of this story here, of course, it doesn't really compare to the original, but props for the filmmakers for trying the Guy Maddin approach to this. Doesn't quite work, but interesting nevertheless.
July 13, 2012
Draws attention to and honors the original 1920 classic, but that's about all I can say.
December 5, 2011
Greatest thing since sliced bread (or is it sliced wrists, I get those two confused). Watch with the 1920 original if you have too much time on your hands, as I obviously do. I only guarantee this perspective from the view of my home theater under the influence of the exact confluence I'm experiencing.
½ October 31, 2011
To be honest, i actually like this, i love the original so i had a lot of doubts about this but its actually pretty clever. sure its shot-for-shot like the Psycho remake (which that one did suck) but its not really a remake, its actually an update (if you know what i mean) obvisously the people who worked on this film liked the origninal. i guess they did this for modern audiences, or for people who don't like to read. but its not bad. its just a "talkie" now. thats all.
½ October 29, 2011
I really admire what this film is attempting to do, but it misses the mark. Still, it's an interesting watch.
September 21, 2011
Sort of pointless little endeavor. This remake of the German Expressionist Silent classic film uses images of the original sets and CG to put new actors in what is essentially a shot for shot remake with new dialogue and sound. The film is pretty, but not original in anyway...I suggest watching the original, unless you are somehow abhorrent to the idea of silent pictures.
September 11, 2011
I just started watching this on Netflix. The original is one of my favorite movies. This version is just as gorgeous and the mood/tone of the film is perfect.
½ August 12, 2011
the talking/modernization takes away from the original eeriness a little bit, but all in all, a good remake
April 4, 2010
Awesome horror for classic...
½ March 29, 2010
nice specimen of german expressionism.
February 22, 2010
a classic german expressionist horror movie. However, due to being sooo old it didn't particularly entertain me
January 11, 2010
I have to admit the original Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is my personal favorite silent film so this rating may be a little on the high side because this film seems more like a homage than a remake. The scenes are almost identical to the original, but obviously there is sound in this version and that's what kills it. Scenes are filled with too much dialogue, which the original feeds off that silent killer feel. Also the actors of this version don't come close to the originals, but what do you expect still worthwhile for fans of the original besides that there isn't really that much going for this film.
December 1, 2009
God, watched this "classic" at Uni a fair few times. No recollection of it at all??
November 30, 2009
November 17, 2009
The 1919 silent classic The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari was one of the most influential films ever made. It has influenced to a degree every horror film, every serial killer film, and a great many films in other genres that have been made since. Among its most striking elements were the surreal, expressionist sets in which the action took place. This version uses modern digital technology to superimpose a new cast of actors on the actual images of the original sets. This gives us a Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with sound but with exactly the same scenes as the original. The actors adopt a style that blends a degree of modern naturalism with the with the melodramatic gestures and expressions of silent film stars. The resulting product is a fine entertainment. While this film could be enjoyed by someone who had never seen the original, I think it will be enjoyed most by those who have seen the silent version, which is a film every horror fan should see anyway. So, perhaps, is this one.
½ August 11, 2009
This attempt at an exact replica of a 1921 silent is actually not too shabby... The film has an aire of a stage production to it, and the set is all digitally composited, but it is strangely pulled off. I consider the original one of my favorite films, and to see that Fischer attempted to replicate it as much as possible make me happy. By itself, this film is quite un-exciting, but taken in context of the remake, The 2005 edition of Dr. Caligari is acceptable if not exceptional.