Champion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Champion Reviews

September 5, 2010
An inspiring look into the life of one of the most recognizable character actors today. I'm personally a huge fan of Danny Trejo, most specifically of his work in Robert Rodriguez's films, so listening to the incredible stories this man has to tell straight from his own mouth was really fantastic. Trejo is an incredibly charming man who has managed to take all the bad in his life and channel it into something wonderful. Inspiring watch.
July 12, 2010
A very well put together documentary about the most familiar bad ass face in film today. Danny Trejo, ex-convict, actor, husband, father, and man tells his life story to all. His story is very inspirational, about a man who fell into times that are the darkess parts one could never want to experience and rose up against the life of being a drug user, a thug, a criminal, and is now one of the most respected men out there in Hollywood. Because he helps people, because he spreads the word that you have the power to change and make a difference. The movie may come off a little repetative at times, but it's forgiveable.
June 16, 2010
a lot of his memories involved hand grenades.. but his life is a surprisingly uplifting story.
May 25, 2010
Very entertaining, and inspiring.
January 4, 2010
Truly inspirational story of former child drug addict, gang member and convict Danny Trejo who has reformed himself and reaped the rewards. He is now a succesful actor and drug counselour who tours schools around the US telling his stories and helping others to avoid the pitfulls which he became a victim of. This is a story which is deserving of a hollywood movie and hopefully Danny continues to find success through his acting and counselling work. Can't wait for Machete!
½ November 10, 2009
this is a really cool will warm your heart...danny trejo is an example of why its never too late to change your life!
½ August 13, 2009
Champion is a small-scale tell-all documentary on the upbringing of one of the most famous character actors out there today, Danny Trejo. The best part about this intimate documentary is we get to see the real Trejo, the one is far more intimidating and scary than ANY of the characters he plays in his films. Thanks to some unwise directions in his upbringing, Danny goes through the ringer of drugs, crime, and eventually imprisonment. Through that, we learn how alcoholics and narcotics anonymous really help to pull Trejo out of the gutter, not to mention give him the opportunity of a lifetime as a steady working actor in Hollywood, eventually blossoming into a very lucrative and interesting career. The Hollywood part is very small in comparison to the emphasis put on Trejo's upbringing and eventual jailtime. In this film, we get to see Trejo be as real as he is ever going to be and we hear some pretty intense and frightening stories, though not too over-the-top like I was expecting. There's also some interesting interviews with celebrities like Steve Buscemi, Val Kilmer, Dennis Hopper, etc. My favorite side interview involves the little known Eddie Bunker, another ex-convict turned hollywood writer/actor (he was Mr. Blue in Reservoir Dogs and also appeared in The Longest Yard remake). It was great getting some insight from him as well, before he died shortly after the completion of this film. Certainly not a bad documentary to watch, especially before Trejo comes out with the biggest, most important movie of his career, Machete. Good watch.
April 29, 2009
An interesting subject is undercut by a rather rote documentary. "If they knew the truth, I'd be Johnny 600!" Bring on Machete!
March 20, 2009
Danny Trejo has starred in many movies. I'm sure a lot of people would recognize him without knowing who he is or what his name is. This movie details his life as a young kid, growing up getting in trouble, his experiences with San Quentin and other prisons. Then it goes into how he changed his life and got into movies.

Very very good movie. I'd recommend it to anyone.
December 3, 2008
I had no idea this existed, and now I want to see it more than I want to breathe.
½ July 27, 2008
This is a great story and not just a glamour piece on a niche star. It is not the best doc ever made, but it is very informative and touching. The scene when Danny is back in his cell is AMAZING!! Well worth the rent.
July 13, 2008
Great rags to riches story, but not much about his movies. The man is a legend, or rather his appearence is..
July 6, 2008
I love Danny Trejo, the kind gentle man, yet scariest meanest looking man you'd want to NOT screw with.
June 28, 2008
Danny Treo's life story is straight out of a movie
April 28, 2008
I had no idea that Danny Trejo was that much of a gangster...I really liked the documentary which showed how there was a decent man behind the feared looks, just a person who is trying to survive...It might seem that his charity work was a little "over-publicized" but I don't care what anyone says...Danny Trejo is a champion.
March 19, 2008
If you're at all a fan of Danny's then this is a must see.
½ February 29, 2008
Danny Trejo is badass.
January 14, 2008
danny is an amazing human being. he's been through it all, and lives to help others. as the title states, danny is a true champion. see it.
January 8, 2008
He's an actor. He works. What a champ!
January 8, 2008
A movie about how awesome Danny Trejo is. DO WANT.