Hurricane on the Bayou - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hurricane on the Bayou Reviews

March 21, 2012
did you know this was made before hurricane katrina and it was about if the water didnt stop draining there was going to be a hurricane!!!!!!
May 20, 2011
Had a chance to watch this film in New Orleans on the imax, but passed on the opportunity, thinking I had seen it all and read it all as pertains to katrina, hurricanes, levees and New Orleans. But after seeing the film now 5 years later, I realize this film wasn't at all like other documentaries on the topic of katrina and the gulf coast. Hurricane on the bayou is beautiful and positive in nature, with little or no mention about the us government, and failures of the safety systems in place. Instead this film is acceptant of the calamity and put together with the intent of promoting stewardship along the gulf coast region of Louisiana. There is a strong spirit of optimism about this film which makes it even more of a joy to watch, while the beauty of New Orleans is showcased through vast panoramic views of the city; before, during and after the levees broke. Having seen plenty of documentaries about katrina I will highly recommend this film as the first to watch, and appreciate the film and film makers for steering clear of finger pointing and blame games, which other documentaries have done so much of. In the end, Hurricane On The Bayou is a true film worthy of 4 stars.
March 5, 2011
This is somethign between documentary and educational movie. Well presented.
April 28, 2010
really not sure why so few people know about this. i live in new orleans and while people may know about this issue it is not very talked about and few people are activists for this cause. If your interested in more info check out Mike Tidwell's book "Bayou Farewell".
September 1, 2009
I studied the inevitability of this disaster 15 years before it happenned. The Army Corps of Engineers knew it was going to happen, knew how to better prepare the levees and still did nothing. The same thing was possible from flooding farther north up the Mississippi.
June 30, 2009
i didint know about this!!
May 10, 2009
This is basically a brief educational film, and seems more appropriate for grade-school or junior-high kids. It's not much as a piece of entertainment or as a documentary.
May 7, 2009
Had to watch this movie for extra credit at my son's middle school. It was supposed to be about Hurricane Katrina. Instead, it seemed like it was a movie about cajun musicians trying to sell a CD. Snoozefest.
April 27, 2009
meryls voice is so amazing!!i listen her when she talk to help me to sleep lol
½ December 8, 2008
one of the most insulting movies i've ever seen...saving
May 14, 2008
Great music! Not one of my most favorite IMAX films though.
½ April 6, 2008
This movie is sure to bring back some memories for all of us in Louisiana. Forget comparing it to other IMAX movies. If you are interested in that, go see an underwater feature. If you want something to make you think, go see this!
March 31, 2008
Such a sad occurrence. I was in NO 10 years ago, and they knew the big one was coming, it was just a matter of time. You have to wonder why more wasn't done before...
March 8, 2008
I really liked it. I thought it very informative and a great way to learn about New Orleans.
½ January 26, 2008
Pretty good...saw it at the IMAX festival
January 1, 2008
I wanted more science!! graphs and timecharts? How does it float? diagrams? More facts were definitly needed!! It gets stars for being on IMAX though!
December 17, 2007
Le film tres mauvais. j'ai regarde ce film en francais et je ne comprennais pas beaucoup, mais ce n'est pas la raison parce que ma amie francaise ne l'aime pas aussi. Il semble celui l'ouragan a principalement affecte les auxidentals "middle-class" dans le film, mais en fact, ce n'etait pas absolutement le case. Les personnes dans le film etaient pretentious aussi. Je regarde ce film pour les "scenaries" (et pour practiquer). Il y avait les "scenaries" belles, mais il n'y avait pas beaucoup. Le film a passe beaucoup de temps sur les musiciens et l'alligators (ils ne me fait pas d'interest du tout), mais l'audience ne pouvais pas decouvrir la culture de la Nouvelle-Orleans. Le documentary n'a pas les "substance" ou "depth", et je etais heureuse que le film soit 40 minutes seulement. J'aime les voiles qui ont les grands "fans" a la derniere (as motors)!
½ November 29, 2007
I loved this. I work for the America's Wetland Conservation Corps and we're working all the time day and night to save the beautiful wetlands that so many of we cajuns call home. I am also a pure-blooded cajun. However, the beginning shots of the alligators were unbelieveable to me due to the clairty of the my line of work...water isn't that clear. I also want to clarify that this wasn't really about the hurricanes and the people but about the hurricanes and the WETLANDS!
½ November 19, 2007
What has two thumbs and wants to drive an airboat? (If I was saying this in person you would see that I was directing both my thumbs at myself.)
October 30, 2007
Saw it at the Omni Theatre in Duluth. I liked it. The bayou is cool. Really interesting.