Police Beat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Police Beat Reviews

February 1, 2008
Depressing and disturbing at times, but good.
January 21, 2008
Police Beat features, perhaps, one of the most interesting main characters I've ever seen on film. The character of Z really is the kind of guy I would love to meet in real life. He's polite, words hard at his job, always seems to make the right decisions, yet is completely human and, like everyone, is flawed (as we mostly discover through voiceovers). Watching Z as he deals with the everyday affairs of being a police officer, yet knowing the inner turmoil he is also experiencing makes for a fantastic character study, not much different than any one of us. Combine this aspect with the fantastic cinematography and this is a film I really, really liked. My only complaint would be the, at times, repetitive formula of the story, as I became a little bored with the police calls after a while.
January 15, 2008
all the better knowing that all the fucked up shit they show Z responding to are true stories. very interesting film.
½ January 6, 2008
The only thing not completly terrible about this film was the cinematography. The Tribeca Film Fest needs to be more selective about films they show at the festival. The protagonist was pitiful and thankfully, I'll have forgotten about the supporting cast by this time next week.
January 5, 2008
Funny and searing emotional dissection, with a hint of "Cops" for good measure. I kept thinking of Portnoy's Complaint, for some reason. Tune in next week for "Mr. Ed" meets "Rescue 911!"
½ December 23, 2007
this was an interesting little indie film. the director also did "zoo" and stylistically they are very similar. very gradual and poetic, and visually very compelling.
December 6, 2007
Not so much a story as a bunch of little stories cobbled together with some very pretty cinematography and the general theme of feeling out of place and lonely. It hit the spot for me.
½ October 1, 2007
Striking Sundance midwifed Amerindie by the guy who made that disquietingly poetic movie about inappropriate (and fatal) horseplay 'Zoo'. No less ethereal--it's almost swaggeringly moody--Police Beat is nonetheless sui generis in the current mumble-core landscape: A defiantly elliptical, aesthetically ambitious and stiltedly performed enigma. And the fact that all the films surreal events are based on actual police reports make its flagrant strangeness both more and less impressive.
September 6, 2007
Beautiful cinematography, some very nice poetic sequences, but on the whole it was incoherent, a whole bunch of random police reports hobbled together without a clear narrative or reason. Worth seeing local film, though not completely pulled off, but a lot of neat stuff in there anyway worth seeing.
August 30, 2007
it's cool watching movie that were shot at the same place you live. It's fun just picking out places that you know or look familiar and all that jazz.
August 27, 2007
Makes me want to be a bike cop in seattle at the very least.
August 26, 2007
A freshly meditative cinematic vocabulary finds expression in this most unlikely of American-made films.
August 15, 2007
Glorious refresh for my senses, it connected my day and night in a dream through my dvd player. Way to go, a ray of light for the independent film making. A series of episodes, taken from real Seattle police reports, but been told by a poet that uses contrast colors!
August 13, 2007
Robinson Devor (director/writer) gives us an intriguing and beautifully photographed movie with Police Beat. Z is an immigrant from Africa who gets a job as a bicycle cop in Seattle, Washington. Z falls in love with a beautiful American woman.

Z's girlfriend takes off on a camping trip with a friend (male) for a couple days, that turns into weeks. Z doesn't like camping.

While she is gone, Z rambles through multiple and disturbing crimes (drawn from real police files in Seattle). All the while, Z's imagination runs rampant on the possibility of his girlfriends loyalty to their romance. Meanwhile, Z's bicycle cop partner shots up drugs and lusts for a street prostitute. "I don't even use a condom because whatever she has, I want it too." says his partner.

The film is in English, but Z's thoughts are in his native language of Wolof and subtitled. It makes for an eerie and surreal film that slowly engulfs you into its ebb and flow from the shocking crimes to the soulful longing of Z for his love.
August 11, 2007
I root for indie Seattle filmmakers, but ...
½ August 8, 2007
Beautiful Seattle scenery.
July 21, 2007
Good, even though I'm generally anti-cop.