Blackout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blackout Reviews

½ February 22, 2014
ok historical pic of sorts, based on true events
November 26, 2013
showes people how one thin makes something eles happen
January 22, 2009
this is a beautifully made film about one troubled neighbourhood during the incident. the message right at the end sums up the whole film nicely, amazingly it also explains LIFE itself. the beginning of the film may seem a bit cheesy to me, but after reading reviews from the locals who enjoyed it i feel that this film is as realistic as brooklyn itself. anyhow i salute the actors for making he characters so real and accurate. i salute the direction of this film that makes it feel more like a decent home video rather than over-sentimental dramas. i salute this film for being very wholesome, heart warming and educational at heart, it is one of those films that made all 2007 oscar's best pic nominations looked like pieces of overrated failures even when they are combined.
November 13, 2008
This was a decent movie. I enjoyed the different story lines.
September 21, 2008
i had no idea this happened
September 9, 2008
This movie was bad. I expected it show much more action or drama. What happens? Not much. This is a movie for when you are trying to become bored.
August 26, 2008
well done, interesting and underexposed...
½ July 25, 2008
Not a great deal of depth to this film, a more interesting film than entertaining. I wouldnt reccomend unless you have a specific interest in the blackout.
June 22, 2008
Sub-par acting was thankfully overshadowed by a great setting and an excellent story.
½ June 15, 2008
Really well acted. Good dialogue.
May 9, 2008
This movie was shot on the block and buildings I grew up in, Parkside Ave. <3
April 27, 2008
this was beautifuly filmed and great to see human relationships forming and howthe blackout forced those relationships to be tested. Really good message at the end. The rantings of the homeless man was ace and was the one true voice of reason.
½ April 20, 2008
While parts of the plot have their cliche characters and moments (the cheating, no-account boyfriend; the rising sports star whose ascent is tragically shortened; the gangsters whose psychology goes unexamined), overall, this story is a very detailed and believable portrait of a poor community in a crucible.
April 19, 2008
found it interesting for I remember exactly what I was doing that day, when the power went out. To see how they coped in New York city, made me realize how blessed we are in our city.
April 15, 2008
This was a really good movie. You see the dynamics of how relationships are formed and affected during a city-wide blackout in New York. The movie is based on real-life events, which happened in 2003.

The way the film is shot has an edge to it, and it almost seems that the characters are NOT acting.
April 4, 2008
Chain of events tat unfolds in a forgotten Brooklyn neighborhood during the the American Blackout in 2003. A nice drama and powerful emotions
½ March 8, 2008
Powerful character driven drama with some great performances. The 2003 blackout serves as a backdrop.
March 8, 2008
I don't remember when it happened but It was a good movie and it made me cry.
February 28, 2008
Beautifully crafted.
½ February 16, 2008
During the 2003 blackout in New York, people in a Brooklyn neighborhood face some ugly truths and forge some unexpected friendships. Melvin Van Peebles shines as the super about to lose his job thanks to a greedy slumlord. Jeffrey Wright is a good-natured barber with an unexpected fearless side. Excellent performances all around, and a very real feeling New York neighborhood.