The Final Season - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Final Season Reviews

½ January 10, 2017
A baseball movie, based on a true story, Directed by the same guy who brought the Sandlot to life on the big screen, who could ask for more? Norway, Iowa, one of the smallest towns in the mid-west, with a fabled sports history. Their High School baseball team is one of the most successful high school baseball teams of all-time, and their coach, Jim Van Scoyoc (Powers Boothe), is a legend, who could be coaching in the Major Leagues if he wanted to. Small towns like Norway always have their fair share of problems, mainly money, and with this town near bankruptcy, they've agreed to merge with a larger town, which means only one last season of baseball in Norway, and without the expensive contract of coach Van Scoyoc. The coach eventually convinces his former assistant, Kent Stock (Sean Astin), to take over the team, and attempt to lead them to one last championship, but with the town about to disappear from the map, how will he motivate the players or the town to care? This is one of those stories that is as inspirational as it gets, and it should have been a fantastic movie, but it was not. I have never in my life seen a movie centered around a sport, that moves as slowly as this film does. The Final Season is full of heart to heart chats, court fights about the town, and of course Sean Astin's character. I enjoy Sean Astin, after all he is the star of my all-time favorite movie, but his character is this introvert, who is in way over his head to begin with, not to mention the fact that he's replacing this living legend. Astin or rather Astin portraying Stock was just boring, just once I would have liked to see the guy, explode, show some fire, be a real coach, because it was like watching a math teacher, coach a bunch of kids, that didn't really want to be there for much of the film. The Final Season is a great true story, but as a film, it's more talk than anything else, and fails to even come close to expectations.
December 3, 2016
Sports movies are my guilty pleasure, especially baseball movies. The Final Season is your typical baseball movie with some sort of an issue that effects the entire team. Its a pretty cut and dry film. It got bashed and has bad scores. But I love these movies, so if you love baseball and baseball movies as much as I do, you'll probably like The Final Season as well.
April 27, 2016
Was ok. Cliche after cliche, and it was not even inspiring no matter how hard it tried to be.
April 12, 2016
A very good movie about a small town baseball team and the survival of small towns, it shows that EDUCATIONAL BOARD cares more about money than having any small towns survive.
January 2, 2016
A great story that didn't turn into a great film.
½ October 1, 2015
151010: I enjoyed this slow paced film quite a bit. Can't say the same for my ten-year-old son. Some easily recognizable actors portraying unique quirky characters. A fun and inspiring story.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Here we have yet another sport drama movie and i try to pick them up because i like them alot usually. Even for the less sport interested ones these movies are well made and fun to watch , and its so much more then just sport. Sean Astin have a great role as the new head coach for a high school baseball team on their final season.. This is a true based movie which makes its even better. Enjoy
May 12, 2014
A great story about being remembered!
April 19, 2014
The final season is boring, has an unconcieved plot, and borrows other of the same ingredients that sports movies use and doesn't know what to do with them
December 29, 2012
Most people like a good sports movie. I do, at least. I especially love a good baseball movie. But when I first saw the trailer to this one, I thought to myself, "Wow, this has been done before. A lot." The characters aren't particularly well-developed, and you can easily call exactly what's going to happen in the end from the first few minutes. Still, when it's all said and done, The Final Season wasn't too bad. It offers your typical small town charm while building up to a predictable but satisfying climax. Not worth your dime for the big screen, but a decent rent when it comes out.
December 7, 2012
This movie is by far my favorite "Iowa" movie. Having been in athletics, i can relate to a lot of what the movie shows. Everything from the CRST truck driving down the road to the trains near seemingly every ball field. In a world where red ink dictates what happens, the "red shirts" had to suffer the consequences.
September 7, 2012
I enjoyed this true story baseball movie!
September 3, 2012
Cliche and very unemotional, this film borrows from other sports movies too much. Also, the 3 or 4 different sides of this story try to fill up other sports movies story lines off the field but fail to do so because of an overlong first half and just not enough time to go deep enough into the characters. Why should we watch the old coach's side of the story then see one of the players love life then switch 5 seconds later to the coach's struggle and his own love life. Wow.
½ August 21, 2012
nice story... and a peak on how growth can swallow the small town with their bads and goods
July 20, 2012
This was totally amazing
May 8, 2012
Amazing baseball movie! Must see for baseball fans!
April 27, 2012
I like it. It has baseball. Is it unoriginal? Yes! Does it have a bunch of cliches? Yeah. But, I still enjoy it. I almost cried at the end. I don't know why, I just did.
½ March 14, 2012
A really badly told story.
February 11, 2012
this is seriously one of the greatest movies ive ever seen its worth buying and i reccomend every1 to see it
½ January 10, 2012
Biased review: I'm from Iowa and like baseball so it gets an extra 1/2 star. Its a fun family movie - great for showing outdoors at a baseball field.