The Final Season - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Final Season Reviews

December 3, 2016
Sports movies are my guilty pleasure, especially baseball movies. The Final Season is your typical baseball movie with some sort of an issue that effects the entire team. Its a pretty cut and dry film. It got bashed and has bad scores. But I love these movies, so if you love baseball and baseball movies as much as I do, you'll probably like The Final Season as well.
April 27, 2016
Was ok. Cliche after cliche, and it was not even inspiring no matter how hard it tried to be.
April 12, 2016
A very good movie about a small town baseball team and the survival of small towns, it shows that EDUCATIONAL BOARD cares more about money than having any small towns survive.
January 2, 2016
A great story that didn't turn into a great film.
½ October 1, 2015
151010: I enjoyed this slow paced film quite a bit. Can't say the same for my ten-year-old son. Some easily recognizable actors portraying unique quirky characters. A fun and inspiring story.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Here we have yet another sport drama movie and i try to pick them up because i like them alot usually. Even for the less sport interested ones these movies are well made and fun to watch , and its so much more then just sport. Sean Astin have a great role as the new head coach for a high school baseball team on their final season.. This is a true based movie which makes its even better. Enjoy
May 12, 2014
A great story about being remembered!
April 19, 2014
The final season is boring, has an unconcieved plot, and borrows other of the same ingredients that sports movies use and doesn't know what to do with them
December 29, 2012
Most people like a good sports movie. I do, at least. I especially love a good baseball movie. But when I first saw the trailer to this one, I thought to myself, "Wow, this has been done before. A lot." The characters aren't particularly well-developed, and you can easily call exactly what's going to happen in the end from the first few minutes. Still, when it's all said and done, The Final Season wasn't too bad. It offers your typical small town charm while building up to a predictable but satisfying climax. Not worth your dime for the big screen, but a decent rent when it comes out.
December 7, 2012
This movie is by far my favorite "Iowa" movie. Having been in athletics, i can relate to a lot of what the movie shows. Everything from the CRST truck driving down the road to the trains near seemingly every ball field. In a world where red ink dictates what happens, the "red shirts" had to suffer the consequences.
September 7, 2012
I enjoyed this true story baseball movie!
September 3, 2012
Cliche and very unemotional, this film borrows from other sports movies too much. Also, the 3 or 4 different sides of this story try to fill up other sports movies story lines off the field but fail to do so because of an overlong first half and just not enough time to go deep enough into the characters. Why should we watch the old coach's side of the story then see one of the players love life then switch 5 seconds later to the coach's struggle and his own love life. Wow.
½ August 21, 2012
nice story... and a peak on how growth can swallow the small town with their bads and goods
July 20, 2012
This was totally amazing
May 8, 2012
Amazing baseball movie! Must see for baseball fans!
April 27, 2012
I like it. It has baseball. Is it unoriginal? Yes! Does it have a bunch of cliches? Yeah. But, I still enjoy it. I almost cried at the end. I don't know why, I just did.
½ March 14, 2012
A really badly told story.
February 11, 2012
this is seriously one of the greatest movies ive ever seen its worth buying and i reccomend every1 to see it
½ January 10, 2012
Biased review: I'm from Iowa and like baseball so it gets an extra 1/2 star. Its a fun family movie - great for showing outdoors at a baseball field.
June 2, 2011
"The Final Season" is the second in a novel new film sub-genre: the inspirational and religion-themed sports melodrama. The first film, "Facing the Giants" wasn't a good example of the genre, but it did fare a lot better than this sappy, predictable excuse to extoll the values of sports and small-town life. A troubled youth is transplanted from the big bad city of Chicago and learns to love baseball and life, all while gaining a much-needed dose of respect along the way. It's all pretty corny and hard to swallow, even if the movie is over-stuffed with good intentions.
Sean Astin stars as real-life coach Kent Stott, and he also produced the film. He's a likeable guy, and I wanted to like him here but Astin has morphed into such an unusual looking and sounding actor that it's distracting and comical. It would be a lie to say I didn't get involved in this simple but engaging story because it's such a natural crowd-pleaser. Because I didn't know the outcome going in, the final game does hold some suspense and the movie is perfectly suited for families and people of all ages. I just wish the set-up hadn't been so hokey and unintentionally funny. it killed the movie for me.
Veteran Powers Boothe does manage to maintain most of his dignity in a good performance as the Iowan's teams veteran coach. Whether you buy what it's selling about heartland values or not, "The Final Season" is too goody-goody for its own good. But unless you're a total cynic, it will work on you.