Take - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Reviews

½ June 3, 2016
Winds up being nothing more than a totally bizarre propaganda campaign for Restorative Justice.

I can handle that, but what lost me is the fact that at absolutely no point from beginning to end was I interested in the events, or in the characters.
½ February 18, 2014
3 3/4's--This is a very slow movie, but for some reason I kept with it. I am glad that I did. I found it thought provoking, tragic, and moving. The tragic events of this movie will stick with me for some time, I imagine. I DO NOT, however, understand how they just wrote the dad out. I am assuming that somehow the marriage ended, and she was single by the end...
½ September 9, 2013
Preachy nonsense filled with flashbacks of a mom and her annoying kid. I mean, even after her sons death, he's still capable of annoying the hell out of an audience for 90 minutes.
February 4, 2013
I can't believe I didn't realize Minnie Driver was such a good actress until I saw this movie. It was a good surprise. She and Jeremy Renner are both compelling and breathtaking. One star for each. Although I don't find the movie itself really good, at least they are amazing.
August 21, 2012
The uphill journey leading to the climax is done very well and genuinely makes you want to keep watching to see what happens. However, the second half of the movie leading to the ending felt rushed and left me disappointed
½ March 12, 2012
not a bad film.
takes a while to get into.
i thought that minnie driver was good.
February 8, 2012
This was a good story that was dramatically very well done with a good cast. I just didnt like the time shifting style of the movie.
½ January 20, 2012
Not bad, just not that interesting. I can't pin-point what it was though...
January 8, 2012
choosing what life has to offer you and knowing when to let go.i loved this one.
December 27, 2011
Good indie flik. Moves very slowly.
½ December 2, 2011
I guess it was a pretty good movie.Not as great as some people think it was but pretty good.Man that kid was bratty!!
Harlequin68
½ August 11, 2011
In the present day, Saul(Jeremy Renner) is being prepared to be executed by lethal injection. In the past, he is a petty crook and gambler who works at a storage facility while taking care of his invalid father. He is also badly in need of $2,000. Ana(Minnier Driver), a maid, could also use a little extra cash. She has just been told that her son Jesse(Bobby Coleman) is being transferred to special education. To avoid that fate, she wants to send him to private school but receives little support from her husband Marty(David Denman, of "Drop Dead Diva"), himself a teacher.

"Take" is a ponderous movie that lumbers towards its inescapable conclusion where two people have their lives changed in a fateful meeting. After which, there is a curious endnote praising restorative justice which long story short says that confrontation is good for the soul between convict and victim, forgetting for a second how many people are in jail for victimless crimes. And in this case, it only works one way as Saul is definitely beyond the point of no return. In fact, Jeremy Renner's sad sack performance seems to work towards the conclusion that Saul has no business being on death row(which personally I don't think anybody should be) which is a debate the movie ducks away from.
June 25, 2011
good didn't think i'd like the non-linear flashbacks but I did, it just takes a little more work and I'll admit that I'm a pretty lazy movie watcher, I just like to let it wash over me but the extra work pays off big in this one amazing performances by both driver & renner in this american tragedy.
February 6, 2011
A very slow-paced movie that works effectively in setting the film's dreary mood. Reminiscent of Alejandro Gonzales IƱarritu's style of filming (21 Grams, Babel) where the lives of different people are forever altered by a single event. Minnie Driver and Jeremy Renner were equally great.
February 5, 2011
This was a movie about a mum and her journey to go and meet the man that killed her son and its done in a back and forth kinda way showing what happy in the past and the journey that the mum takes. But the main part of this movie is telling how in some american states that before the individual comes out of jail as part of their rehab they have to meet face to face with the victims family. The concept was great but i really felt that they did not tell the story as it was supposed to be told.
½ December 5, 2010
TAKE
Directed by: Charles Oliver
Release Date: July 25, 2008

Not a bad character drama. a set charaterization of two people in diferent forms of desparation at troubled times in their lives. Comparativly. ..one-passionate and nuturing, the other criminal and volatile. The beauty of the comparisen ithe use of small ineffectual items like a shoe or a cut over the eye as reminders of short term occurances while we're watching their troubles build on themselves as answers arrise but further the struggle right up until they entwine in a twist of fate.

This film covers poinient facts about humanity if not only in our bloodthirsty past as beings at the top of their foodchain, full on able to kill another human being in justification of punishment required (capital punishment) or not. Plus it has a very interesting deversion in form of a devine nature to question your feeling on the strength of reform from judicial order as it stands to you roots, raising some confronting truths about the victims of crime and the original offenders, post incedent contact forming further positive from contact after incarceration between offenders and victims.
November 15, 2010
October 31, 2010
The take tries to do allot of things and it FAILS miserably at all off them, and saddly comes off as poor man's 21 Grams! It has allot to say but ends up saying nothing. Don't see this movie....watch BOY A instead! Verdict: How Does Minnie Driver find work?
September 21, 2010
Watching it right now
May 31, 2010
Why bother to make a film and, just a the end, try to justify it with some bs about a jail program. Is it about people? About What?. It really makes no sense. Great actors though, too bad the script won't help them.