Das Fräulein (Fraulein) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Das Fräulein (Fraulein) Reviews

March 19, 2015
Moving, sensitive portrayal of friendship.
July 12, 2013
Nicely realized little film.
½ June 18, 2013
A fascinating character study of two women. Both are émigrés in Zurich. One is in her late 20s, outgoing and constantly moving throughout Europe. The other is introverted, in her 50s and trusts no one, but has her roots planted deeply in her adopted city. They both share loss. A loss of a culture. A loss of a heritage. A loss of history. And the loss of their country, Yugoslavia -- which no longer exists, except within them and others like them. A nuanced, but very real friendship grows and evolves between them.
½ January 22, 2012
Sparse and beautiful. The inner transformation of Ruza was brilliantly done by Karanovic.
September 11, 2011
I really enjoy these brooding European dramas. The ending was bleak as expected, but I was still disappointed. There's got to be some middle ground between american syrupy happy endings and these depressing European endings. Aside from an absolutely stupid ending, this film had some substantial moments. The most interesting part of the film was the challenge of knowing when Croatian was spoken and when German was. It was pretty important to the plot, so you needed to pay attention. The film's probably better than the rating I'm giving it.
March 27, 2011
An interesting foreign flick..
September 19, 2010
a touching movie with great acting and a good story, combining lives of three former Yugoslavian women- a Croat, a Bosnian and a Serbian in Germany...
½ July 1, 2010
A delightful movie about three immigrant women from the former Yugoslavia (A Serb, A Corat & A Bosniak) living in Zurich, each dealing with their own issues of immigrant life.
jimbotender
½ June 27, 2010
Touching moments,fierce reality but what struck me most is the short amount of time and the debut whistle.While it's certainly not a groundbreaking film,it's basically a great introduction to one's ideas on film-making and a fabulous start for Staka.Karanovic amidst the top 5 actresses of 2006.
January 9, 2010
Interesting film about how we choose to live our lives: Saving for the future or living life to the fullest now. Well done with a non hollywood ending.
December 31, 2009
Slim and odd-looking, but shockingly intelligent and humble.
Harlequin68
October 11, 2009
In a Zurich restaurant, Ana(Marija Skaricic), a new employee, is warned against throwing a surprise party for her boss Ruza(Mirjana Karanovic), who is old enough to be her mother. She goes ahead anyway.

What separates "Fraulein" from every other touchy-feely intergenerational friendship story are events that are not shown in the movie. All of the major characters are from Bosnia but have all had different experiences acclimating themselves to their new home. Ruza and Mila(Ljubica Jovic) left long before the recent genocide to make better lives for themselves abroad. No nonsense and lonely, Ruza is so used to living in Switzerland, that she uses German when speaking to her fellow Bosnians.(Thanks for pointing that out by the way.) Now that it is safe to return home, Mila and her husband(Zdenko Jelcic) have one eye on returning to their homeland and are saving up to make repairs on their house. Into this mix, enters Ana who survived the Siege of Sarajevo, as many of her friends and family did not, only to badly require a bone marrow transplant in the present.
April 12, 2009
Me gusta la historia, me gusta mucho el aire que traen esas peliculas de la ex Yugoslavia...
March 21, 2009
sort of the typical "younger dynamic girl who loves life revives the perspective of middle-aged people stuck in the daily grind" film, and could have been done better ... but still solid.
February 15, 2009
I liked the style of the movie- simplicity at its best.
But the characters were poorly developed, and the plot was pretty pedestrian.
October 16, 2008
Superb...I highly reccomend :)
½ July 21, 2008
a neat little film.Loved how the younger girl that joined the canteen taught the older, and "thoughfully" more "wiser" women a lesson.Understandably for the country it was portrayed, the girl's inbetween activities outside working was impersonal, but gave an idea on how the girl was trying to have fun, but really was meaningless and lackluster to how she was wanting to live inside.
½ June 2, 2008
Such an interesting movie. I had never heard of it but saw it on the plane transatlantic. It was really good. Very captivating, just because it has so little dialouge. I think it is brilliantly done.
½ June 1, 2008
Saw it on the plane ride back from Ireland, not sure what I was expecting but I am glad I saw it. While not necessarily a happy ending the movie just seemed so real