Believers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Believers Reviews

September 27, 2015
One of those films that could easily have sunk in to too much action or too much talk, but winds up having just the right mix of edginess, suspense and mentally engaging. The ending is just spectacular - a cinematic denouement that just sticks with you long after the movie is over.
March 21, 2013
Decent creepy cult movie. While it may not manage to be too surprising, it doesn't grow dull either. Has a good amount of set, some pretty believable acting and does its best to explain just enough, while those things that ramble about the plot fail to derail it, this is about a cult after all, one can hardly expect solid logic. Not a full on horror film, but intriguing enough. I'd like to say I'm going against the popular opinion here and say fresh (for its budget class), but in the end the movie just kind of fails to really go somewhere with the build up tension. And that means this one comes in at 3 stars, just below the official fresh mark.
½ September 9, 2012
It's really hard to root for meatheads. The ending was pretty cool though.
July 23, 2012
I really liked the movie. I thought it was a great movie for not being mainstream or having any big actors. Highly recommended.
June 16, 2012
This is interesting !!! =D !!!
½ June 3, 2012
An interesting premise about paramedics abducted by a cult during a routine call unfortunately devolves in a mostly forgettable film that goes on for about 20 minutes too long. Believers has promise, but it just doesn't quite deliver on it.
May 5, 2012
Surprisingly good coolaid-cult horror film.
½ April 11, 2012
The movie had a good storyline, but I will say this... The last minute and change makes the whole movie worth it!
December 4, 2011
Ooooooh, the what if they aren't wrong scenero!
xxdebxx
½ September 20, 2011
Two paramedics David Vaughn (Johnny Messner) and Victor (Jon Huertas) receive an emergency call from a little girl Libby (Saige Ryan Campbell). When they arrive on the scene, they find the woman, almost dead, and her young daughter immediately warns the paramedics to hurry up because "they are coming." Anyhow, they no sooner attempt to revive the dying woman than a truckload of cultists armed with guns show up and kidnap them but not before they notice that the woman has numbers tattooed all over her chest. But the night is yet to become stranger when they take them back to their compound run by members of a strange sect Quanta Group, composed of scientists, philosophers and mathematicians. These people believe they have condensed the secrets of time and the universe into a mathematical formula and foresee the end of the world after a meteor shower. Their leader The Teacher (Daniel Benzali) converts Vic to his cult, but the reluctant David resists and tries to escape to from the cult with the help of Libby. Will he succeed in saving his friend before it's too late?
The movie has its fair share of flaws but what captured my attention was issues of destiny and its attainment, religion versus science, power of suggestion and gullibility are highlighted (comparisons with Jonestown are obvious), enabling the viewer to evaluate and ponder just how easily you can get into caught up in the beliefs of a cult.
August 29, 2011
Please... Please ! Make it stop ! Sorry... not meant to be seen !
August 1, 2011
I still have the chills after watching this and that was three years ago. Hey all you big tine writters, directors, and actors, who think you need a big budget and to overthink the hell out of a film... watch this. I can relate a little to this movie because of my occupation. But, what turned me on to this movie was the taistfully abrupt turn it took from utter disapointment to earth shattering fear. It made the hair on my arms stand up.
July 10, 2011
Stupid, too long and very boring.
2/5
½ February 27, 2011
Further enforcing my belief that "Blair Witch Project" was a fluke.
½ January 30, 2011
A decade after the slice of genius that was The Blair Witch Project, I'm sitting here after watching Believers and asking myself, "What happened to those innovative and talented film-makers that displayed so much promise with one of the greatest horror films in cinema history?" If this film is anything to go by, some of them are still trying, but for some reason they seem to have lost all that originality and enthusiasm, opting for projects which are stale, cliched and unimaginative. Maybe I'm being too harsh, as this was in no way a 'terrible' film, it just wasn't all that great (apart from the ending, which was actually very well done). Yet another example of a brilliant idea being wasted with a boring and rather lame execution.
January 20, 2011
This is one of those films that plays with your sense of reality and forces you to question some of your preconceived notiions of how things are. There is a sort of visual starkness to this film that induces a mild feeling of discomfort which is inhanced by the complete seriousness and lack of humor of the cult members. On one hand they don't seem to be malicious or cruel, on the other they are detached and aloof. Answers are not easily forthcoming as to what they are all about ("no talking"). It doesn't take long to get the sense that they are completely unhinged and are going someplace (and taking YOU along) to which you definately do not want to go. They seem to have a concern for your welfare and yet their basic premise seems to be beyond irrational(of course if you are not so good in math, it is kind of hard to be sure of this). Still if their numbers are not irrational, thier theology certainly appears to be. Ah yes and then there is the ending (where YOUR ending is not THEIR ending) and you have finally escaped their clutches following their 'departure' from this world---an ending which will keep nipping at the heels of your subconscienceness long after the final credits have rolled.
October 25, 2010
I gave this one a re-watch off the To-Watch Pile and knowing where its heading helps to offset my initial qualms about the pacing (see below), I'd say that this holds up pretty well, but has been done better in a film called End Of The Line.

In this fairly slow-paced thriller you spend the movie in the same spot as the two leads: wondering why the cult who kidnaps them is doing what it's doing.

Worth a rental, but the pacing could put some people off.
½ September 19, 2010
The ending was exactly what I was hoping for!
½ August 31, 2010
Not very scary, not very thrilling, not very tense, not very good acting and the plot is not very good either. The only thing that made me keep watching this movie till the end was wondering if it's ever going to get better! And it was for 2 minutes!