Dirty Laundry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Laundry Reviews

April 14, 2015
amusingly decent but with an abrupt ending that leaves a sour taste.
April 15, 2012
better than i thought would be
October 26, 2011
make comment much later..
June 23, 2011
I don't know if I was just in the perfect mood to see this or what, but I found the movie charming, sweet, and really funny!
May 1, 2011
Evelyn Davis cleans laundry for a living but does she know that in her household, she'll have to air out her family's "Dirty Laundry?" It takes a 1/2 hour for the plot to really kick in. By that time, some viewers may give up since it's sitcom material. Now, when the "secret" happens, it gets interesting but the screenplay doesn't help to engage viewers since we're dealing with stereotypes. Give credit to writer/director Maurice Jamal for handling a sensitive subject among African Americans though.

Loretta Devine is devine as the matriach and the role is well suited to her personality. I also liked Rockmond Dunbar as the gay son Sheldon Patrick. However, they misuse Jenifer Lewis as a bigot shrew named Lettuce; she doesn't she have any shadings. Another interesting character is the white boyfriend, Ryan, played by Joey Costello who is not attractive. Can anyone write smart dialogue? I was cringing at his preaching about divas to the young girl and his insistence on watching figure skating when the guys wanted to watch sports. Lots of gay men are interested in sports.

It's too bad that Jamal couldn't break gay stereotypes but milks them for laughs. We hear alot about religion and see the family at church, but what good is that when they are so dysfunctional. The movie seems to be saying that acceptance is the glue for family but I'd like to understand how that is earned.
½ April 25, 2011
The dried eggs joke was excellent
December 31, 2010
One for the books! I think many may be able to relate to the story concept of "Dirty Laundry" and how "everybody's got some"!
December 22, 2010
Fun movie, u should Netflix it 2nite...lol the cast was gr8, even tho half can't act.
July 5, 2010
I liked this movie a lot better than the critics did. Perhaps I was just in the right mood but I thought it was a realistic "family" learning about eachother. But then again... what do I know about "realistic"? or "Family" for that matter...
½ May 8, 2010
The actors shine quite brightly here, especially Devine & Lewis but the film's direction leaves a lot to be desired.
½ October 4, 2009
comedic nice and funnny but moving a sensew of family values .
½ September 23, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
September 17, 2009
Thought it was a real issue many families run or hide from..
August 21, 2009
I actually really really enjoyed this movie!
½ May 1, 2009
i seen it and it wasn't all that.....
½ April 26, 2009
this shit was hilarious...a fat stripper catastrophe. unfortunately, it does fall into the chitlin circuit catagory of movies. i mean really...you have a micraphone in your hand, your voice is "amplified" and yet...you aren't talking into the mic...AT ALL!!! (and you let this shit slide in editing...much less taping??? i mean, why hold the dick if you don't put it to your lips??? but i digress...this movie was quite and still hilarious!!!
March 23, 2009
Jenifer Lewis enough said!
½ February 14, 2009
Funny and honest movie about a family learning about each other. Great to see Loretta Devine again in a comedy, it seems like I have not seen her being funny and dramatic in a movie lately. Jenifer Lewis is hilarious. The beginning had some ridiculous jokes that were over the top; however middle to end, the jokes/comedic scenes were hilarious and honest. I thought I would not like this movie but I have enjoyed it. I may purchase the dvd.
½ January 20, 2009
The boyfriend is an adorable cliche but do we really need another protagonist who's a writer?
½ December 10, 2008
Loved it, bought it last week at Walmart