Buried Alive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buried Alive Reviews

May 22, 2014
Buried Alive (Robert Kurtzman, 2007)

Robert Kurtzman's 2007 effort The Rage has garnered accolades from any number of people whom I otherwise believe to have some taste in film. I have never understood what they see in it. Buried Alive, his 2007 follow-up, has never received those same kudos. That made sense even before I saw this movie, but now, for some horrible reason, I have seen it, and the best thing I can say about it is ?it's not the worst movie I saw today.? (That dubious distinction goes to the dreadful Machine Gun Preacher). But if you're looking for a decent horror movie, this is not the way to go.

Plot: cousins Rene (Going Down in La-La Land's Leah Rachel in her screen debut) and Zane (Green Street Hooligans' Terence Jay) attend the same college. Rene's sorority has a couple of pledges to haze, and Zane, who's on academic probation, is looking for an alternate means of living if he gets kicked out of school. Both of these things lead to the two of them packing a car full of young-and-beautifuls and heading out to the old ancestral pile, where grandpappy it a huge gold score a long time ago, much of which seems to have mysteriously vanished. Zane and his research assistant Phil (Here Comes the Boom's Germaine Scott Grimes) have come to the belief through scouring old newspaper clippings that grandpappy hid the rest of the gold somewhere on his property?a belief shared by eccentric old housekeeper Lester (Saw's Tobin Bell, whose taste in scripts continues to astonish), who's been doing some digging in the basement when not practicing his taxidermy. They, and tagalongs Danny (Latter Days' Steve Sandvoss), Laura (Repo Men's Erin Reese), and Julie (Lindsey Scott in, to date, her only feature appearance), soon discover that what grandpa buried in the basement may not have been a precious metal...

And hey, here's a surprise for anyone who's seen The Rage, or come to think of it anyone who's seen more than a half-dozen random DTV horror films made in the past quarter-century: nothing that happens in this movie is something you haven't seen before. (I should note that the ?surprise? in that last sentence was intended sarcastically.) This is about as standard a supernatural slasher film as supernatural slasher films come, to the point where you have most likely identified the Final Girl(TM) within five minutes of the movie starting. I gave it two stars because Art Monterastelli (Rambo)'s script does have a few genuine chuckles during the middle stretch?once they have gotten to the house, but before anything really starts happening, at the point where most movies of this strip drag like the killer's victims on their way to the meatpacking plant?but those moments are not nearly enough to carry this movie. **
May 12, 2014
Featuring a remarkably inept cast and an antagonist who is more annoying than frightening, this confused, lackluster, lifeless slasher is a tedious drag from start to finish. After the director attempts to cash in on the "now the ugly dead witch is over there" shocker for the 10th time, any hope this film had of being even vaguely frightening is lost. The climax, if it can even be referred to as such, is about as dull and pointless as arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The final nail in the coffin for this film is a complete lack of any reference to the film's title before the last 30 seconds, when, in a moment of a complete lack of terror, we are forced to watch as two of the characters we don't care about (admittedly that could include the entire cast) are buried in a coffin by a special fx intern in a rubber witch mask.
March 22, 2014
One line summary: Good visuals, but not much of a story in this teen slasher film.

-----------------------

The protagonists are in their late teens or early twenties and in some college somewhere in New Mexico, USA. The characters are Rene, who seems to have a lot of bad dreams; Zane (Rene's cousin), who's looking for a lost fortune from his family's history; Phil, the nerd who's helping Zane; Danny, who's cool for some unseen reason; Julie (dressed as cow) and Laura (dressed as dog), two sorority pledges who try to make Rene happy.

The six of them head out to the desert to find the 'treasure.' In parallel, Lester has been digging for gold out in the sticks, and seems to find some early on.

Zane starts seeing things. He does a panic stop at freeway speed to avoid running over someone; no one else sees anything. Oi. The group meets Lester, who is the caretaker for Zane's family's deserted house. There is friction there from the beginning.

Rene makes Phil tell the rest of the group about Zane's request for research on the family history. This is a bit troubled, but also seems a bit hard to have documented. The common great grandfather of Rene and Zane had two wives. When Phil goes outside for a better signal, someone kills him.

The group gets into a discussion of ancient totems and symbols. They find pictures of the great-grandfather's two wives; both of them wore the necklace which Rene currently wears. Laura has the symbol on the necklace tattooed on the back of her neck.

Rene sends Laura (dressed in boots) to bring back something from Lester's trailer. She gets there, selects a stuffed rabbit, and returns. Julie (dressed in jeans, poor choice; her feet suffer) makes the run to Lester's next. Zane carries Julie back after the ankle injury.

Still, no one checks on Phil, who is dead, but propped up in the car. After so many hours one might think they would notice something.

Looks like an elimination derby. How many of the remaining five will survive? Do Rene and Zane figure out the knot in their ancestors' history in time for it to do anyone any good?

------Scores------

Cinematography: 10/10 Well done, no complaints.

Sound: 5/10 Leveling problems, conversation versus 'music.' The music during the credits was really hideous.

Acting: 4/10 Germaine Scott Grimes, Steve Sandvoss: useless. Lindsey Scott, Leah Rachel, Erin Reese: not that good. Terence Jay: almost OK. Tobin Bell: rather good in an extended cameo.

Screenplay: 2/10 The central threat, the motivation for the revenge, and the ending did not make a lick of sense. What was the point of the Danny character, except to supply drugs? What was the point of the Phil character, except to slam people with computer skills? What was the point of the Julie character except her pneumatic figure? The characters Rene, Zane, and Laura were not interesting enough to make up for the general lack of story.
½ March 8, 2014
The plot was stupid, but the kills were great, had some good unintentional laughs, and the cast didn't do that bad of a job for a B-movie.
½ July 24, 2013
Not bad per se, just rather pointless. Likable cast and the acting and dialogue is decent, but the story feels unfinished. If that weren't the case, this could be a great little horror flick, but like the little bit of T&A, this one is more teaser than pleaser.
May 5, 2013
Sometimes, for some reason, all the things that should make a movie terrible just seem to work. This one commits all the cardinal sins of film- bad plot, bad acting, bad production, bad effects. But somehow, that's what makes this particular movie fun to watch. Obviously it's not something that will go down in history as one of the greatest films ever made, and not by a long shot. But if you're in the mood for a stupid slasher flick, this is a great choice.
January 20, 2013
eu quero assitir esse filme
September 2, 2012
Surprisingly bland and cliche for someone who's been in the business as long as director/FX genius Robert Kurtzman has. A few decent gory moments but even they are not worth sitting through.
½ July 31, 2012
not horrible but that being said, nowhere near good either. Very large pacing issues, cgi kills and off screen kills, very disappointing. Lame and predictable ending and a lot of plot holes. Tobin Bell was good as crazy old Lester, but nothing more stands out. Marketed under the Dimensions Extreme label but only extreme here was boredom
July 27, 2012
A dark secret looms in a family, and Zane (Terence Jay) and his cousin Rene (Leah Rachel) decide to head to Zane's father's house in the middle of the desert in Santa Fe to discover their family's dark past. Nerdy Phil (Germaine De Leon), Rene's boyfriend Danny (Steve Sandvoss) and Julie (Lindsey Scott) and Laura (Erin Reese) - two of Rene's sorority pledges - go along for the ride.

The caretaker of the estate, Lester (Tobin Bell) is eagerly searching for gold on the grounds, gold that is said to be hidden in the caves. But his search is halted when the teens arrive, and almost immediately the vision of an evil woman is seen.

It turns out there is an amulet (that Rene currently holds) that protects the owner, and a relative of Zane's wanted it from his wife, and ended up burying her alive. Now her spirit is out for vengeance against the bloodline.

This is your typical run-of-the-mill slasher flicks, with a weak storyline, weaker acting, and surprisingly flimsy effects. The characters are so unlikeable you find yourself rooting for the bad guy, and the ending - although satisfying - isn't worth the time required for you to get to that point.
½ March 21, 2012
Decent, Pointless, dull and unscary Buried Alive is one of the Horror films that really failed to become a successful Horror film. Buried Alive is a simple Horror film with a simple plot. The movie is about two cousins Zane and Rene and they're friends who are spending they're vacation in an isolated cabin in the middle of the desert where they party a lot and have a happy life. But soon the group is terrorized by Zane and Rene's dead grandmother who is now a vengeful spirit and the group must try to escape before they get killed as well. This is really a decent film and I seriously didn't like it at all. Buried Alive is one of those Horror films that really went down the hill really fast. This movie has some good scares and a really nice tension but the film falls short in many and different ways and it really makes the movie look bad really bad. The only thing I like about Buried Alive is that Tobin Bell's performance as a crazy old coot caretaker really fits well for the movie since I enjoy his performance as Jigsaw from the Saw movies he was also good in this film and I also like the old lady in the film the old lady looks good in the film but I'm not giving this a higher rating because this film has so many faults and problems from the beginning until the end. Absolutely this movie didn't make any sense at all. The real problem with Buried Alive is that the film is lacking of originality and it was the real problem with the film. What I didn't like about Buried Alive is that the film also suffers from various cliches that are in the film from start to finish and the cliches are everywhere like a dirty rust scattered in an old house that has been abandoned and it is true the cliches are all over this movie and you'll get annoyed with it once you watched it. Also the film has many faults and problems from start to finish and this film has lots of faults and problems and it really lowers the bar in the movie so far. What I also hated about this movie is that the gore effects are really dull and pointless and seriously all of the gore effects are really mixed with blatant and horrid CGI effects almost all of the kills in the movie are spoiled and ruined because they are both mixed with real and CGI blood effects and it ruined half of the graphic violence like the scene where Phil gets cut in Half with the axe by the dead old lady that scene used CGI blood from the start and it later on changes into real blood effects I seriously didn't like that idea at all. Even the scene where Danny gets his faced chopped off with the axe that scene was even worse than Phil's death scene because the CGI used in that scene is terrible and pointless and it doesn't make the movie look good at all and it makes the film look more of a Syfy movie with dull effects. Plus the other problem with Buried Alive is that the film is lacking of special effects and it really makes the movie fail badly so far. What I also hated about this movie is the acting with the exception of Tobin Bell as a crazy old coot caretaker. The acting from the casts isn't really good at all because the acting from the start is good while in the middle the acting is decent until the end the acting is horrendously bad and awful and it spoils the movie so far. What I also didn't like about Buried Alive is that the film also has a problem with the writing it makes you think that the script writers were high on drugs or they just didn't finish the script and got too lazy and made a quick and cheap script that spoils the movie. Also this movie has a really lame atmosphere I mean the atmosphere used in the film seriously didn't make sense at all and it spoils the entire film from start to finish and I never saw an atmosphere that is so lame and boring. Also I got disappointed with the ending I just didn't get it at all on why the dead old lady just buried the two cousins and let the other girl live that was seriously not right with the film so far. Director Robert Kurtzman's second feature film is far more worse than Wishmaster and seriously Wishmaster was bad but the sequels were better and he seriously would have tried his best in his directing with this movie so far I felt bad that he went down the hill with this film so far. Overall Buried Alive gets a 5/10 because this movie lacks originality and there's nothing nice with it so far and I think that this is one of Dimension Extreme's worst films since Broken and Steel Trap and this movie is not as good as The Wizard Of Gore (remake) so far.
March 17, 2012
Don't waste valuable time if your life watching this foolishness
½ December 22, 2011
gotta be one of the worst attempts at a horror movie i've seen. the director needs to be buried alive.
½ October 10, 2011
tobin bell was great in this but he was the only reason why im giving this movie any stars
August 18, 2011
Ok..... Thats about it.
½ July 28, 2011
Wow...that was, pretty bad. As I start this 95 minute film, Nothing is happening. Nothing. A few scary scenes of them seeing this old lady here and there, but that's about it. The ending, the last 10 mintes of the movie (not including credits) at the time of 85 mins, the old lady kills everybody. That's it. No action, at all, until the last 10 minutes. The rest had nothing to do with the film. And just because it has Tobin Bell, one of the greatest horror movie actors in the world, in it, doesn't mean it's going to be a good movie. He's in it for a good 10 minutes. And plus his role didn't even make sense, he was just some random guy. The filmmakers just wanted people to watch their movie, all because Tobin Bell was in it. Anyways, the story was pretty good actually, and they also did pretty good making the old lady look scary enough. That's the only good thing about it. The acting was bad, the special effects sucked. There you go. Skip to next review.
May 12, 2011
I went to this film thinking it would be terrible. So I just sat there and let it unfold. It has problems, but overall it is not that bad. I think that the first killing should of happened around the 30min mark, as compared to this 1hr 32min movie's first killing at the 1hr and 15min mark.

I guess the end was watchable but the film does not take itself surriously umm to it's credit it works. The movie just tries to have fun and I liked the effort.

It deserves a little but more that a 17% liking rating.
½ April 15, 2011
Low budget slasher.... nothing to great, nothing too horrible.
April 2, 2011
Compared to many Slashers I've seen lately, and that's quite a lot, this was pretty good. From the same director as the Wishmaster and starring Tobin Bell of the Saw films. It is a bit slow building up to the kills, but when they come they are quite gory and different to the norm. A bunch of uni friends head out to one of the kids big house out in the desert looked after by the creepy caretaker. The house has a dark history involving a family curse, gold and murder. Good production value and a decent cast raise this above most straight to DVD slashers.