Coffee Date - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coffee Date Reviews

March 7, 2015
Finally got through this movie. Interesting with some funny moments.
September 13, 2013
Likeable cast, pedestrian effort.
July 1, 2013
Rotten tomatoes sucks
April 25, 2013
wow! this was 2nd movie today i watched with gay stuff in it! and i really liked this movie! besides - main gay character was really hot! hehe:)
March 14, 2012
Sounds interesting and has a couple of good people in it, so will check it out...
½ October 19, 2011
Una comedia de un "macho calado" muy indie, pero creo que muy bien lograda, no se debe tomar muy en serio pues es en tono de farsa, sobre los prejuicios de la gente y el miedo irracional que tantos tienen por ser seƱalados.
August 2, 2011
While this was enjoyable to watch, it still felt a a bit fake. It just didn't ring true.
½ July 29, 2011
Midly charming and sweet, even tough the low production values.
July 29, 2011
A disappointing movie in that a "Coffee Date" turns out to be a straight guy thiking that Kelly is a girl, while Kelly is a gay Latino surfing the internet. If you buy this plot, then this movie is for you. If you don't, like me, then you'll watch to see where this is going but it doesn't end satisfactorily.

Jonathan Bray plays Todd and he has no charm so it's hard to be interested in this actor. Wilson Cruz is the best actor here and I don't believe he would have trouble finding a date. Sally Kirland looks terrible as the mother. Jontahn Silverman keeps us from getting bored but he overacts. The ending is a cop out and shows the limits of the screenplay. This is one Coffee Date that I would have avoided if I had known that it was so lame.
½ June 9, 2011
A short film made in 2001 that was expanded to feature length. Many amusing scenarios and lines and even a few laugh out loud moments. Cruz steals the movie with his abundance of charm. I can see some gay people being offended or annoyed by this movie because it is full of stereotypes.
August 8, 2010
wow!
besides - main gay character was really hot! hehe:)
May 19, 2010
Such an unexpected ending!!!! But such a great movie!!!
April 22, 2010
A personal favorite

I love it
April 13, 2010
Fun and more fun upon more fun. Then men are sexy too.
½ April 7, 2010
More Philosophical Than You Might Think

I knew, in my Port Angeles days, Girl Kelly and Boy Kelly. So the punchline of the original short might not necessarily have been such a shock to me. I was, however, holding my breath that I would turn out to know the punchline of the movie. Because for some reason, the straight guy who's thought gay always turns out to actually be gay. Late in the film, a pair of characters even talk about it. Everyone, everyone makes their own assumptions about who these people are based on what they think to be true, not based on what the evidence actually suggests. And, indeed, people will see the evidence however they want to if they know what it should point to. This is called "selection bias," and it's human nature. The nice thing about the character explaining all this is that he had his, but he's willing to listen to the evidence that shows he's wrong. It's actually a pleasant conversation which I was really not expecting, because the straight man was going to turn out to be gay. I was even assuming that would be the conversation where he came out.

Todd (Jonathan Bray) is just out of a horrible, messy divorce. His brother, Barry (Jonathan Silverman), in an attempt to help, sets him up with an internet date. Only of course it's more a joke--he sets him up in the "men seeking men" section. He goes to a coffee house looking for Kelly, and it turns out Kelly is played by Wilson Cruz, the cute little gay boy from [i]My So-Called Life[/i]. They actually end up going to a Bergman double feature together, though, because it's rare to find someone who'll go see a Bergman double feature with. When it's over, they decide to tease Barry by pretending they actually hooked up. Only Barry tells everyone that they're actually a couple, unto calling their mother (Sally Kellerman), who then flies into town so that she can meddle, I guess. And since Todd and Kelly get along so well, Todd starts thinking maybe they're right. Because he's never had a gay friend before, because he's one of those people who are totally awkward around gay people and only know them from movies and TV and therefore have a very clear perception of how they're supposed to act.

What struck me most was that it turns out to be okay to sexually harass the gay guy. "Everyone in the office" chips in to get Todd a stripper for his birthday, even though they also believe he's in a committed relationship with Kelly. Some woman who clearly doesn't know him very well starts asking him very, very personal questions. If he's upset, it's because he had a fight with Kelly. His mother goes around wearing a T-shirt that reads, "I'm proud of my gay son," no matter how often Todd tells her that she doesn't have one, and this means his neighbours now all believe he's gay, too, and one of them tries to set him up with her gay nephew. It seems as though, once he's discovered to be gay, his personal life is everyone's business. His mother does ask the question, in the deleted scenes, of how he could have possibly married his shrew of an ex-wife in the first place--I missed her name--but given the situation, it's a legitimate question anyway. After all, the ex has parked herself in his apartment and refuses to leave until she sees him.

I watched this because it had Wilson Cruz in it. Sad but true. The plot read as unbearably cutesy, and it is in places, but I always felt he was too talented to disappear and therefore paid Netflix for the privilege of seeing him in a movie I was sure I wasn't going to like. I was also, as I said, sure I knew how it was going to end, and it is unbearably frustrating to me that people in movies who question their sexuality always have the one they didn't think they were going to. And of course, no one is ever bi, which I could have accepted as well. I could understand being attracted to Wilson Cruz even if you aren't attracted to men, but it is assuredly true that it's nice to have a friend who shares interests, especially obscure ones. I find it depressing how few people have ever heard of any non-American directors, and they can usually only name one or two of those. Maybe they'll know Hitchcock, but since he did most of his work in the United States, I'm not sure how much he counts. And that's reason enough for the friendship.

This movie did have several of the failings of low budget filming. The sound quality, for example, was terrible. It made me suspect they hadn't done any post-production sound work at all. Most of the ambient sound was far too loud. And, as Jonathan Silverman freely admitted, he was overacting. On the other hand, since the family declares that he's always been an attention seeker, so it may well fit in with his personality. It is also true that Kelly overacts several times for much the same reason, and because it's funny to him. For about the first half of the movie, he has no especial personal stake in whether or not people think Todd is gay. He repeatedly explains that Todd is straight, because Todd is so paranoid on the subject, but that's not really his issue. For all the movie's failings, the friendship between the two men is frankly refreshing. It doesn't really matter if Todd is gay, not really. If Todd is gay, he and Kelly can have a great relationship. If he is straight, they'll just have a different kind.
December 31, 2009
Funny little movie you dont have to invest too much of your brain power in! You could do a lot worse as far as movies go.
December 5, 2009
This was a really sweet comedy! lots of great characters and some laugh out loud one liners.
October 27, 2009
So this was a little cheesy but the acting was good, the story ok, and I got to remember some of those lines!! Funny lol.
August 27, 2009
I watched this movie on a whim one day and Loved it. A must See if you like Gay Cinama.
½ July 9, 2009
Slightly amateurishly filmed but entertaining enough.