The Rape of Europa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rape of Europa Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
Very excellent documentary about the plundering of the arts of europe by the Nazis, and the return of most of it. Well documented with videos and photos of the time. Excellent narrative that brings us back. Must see.
May 10, 2016
Excellent documentary.
½ January 22, 2015
Very educational and tells of the side of the war that many don't consider
June 29, 2014
Very informative documentary about the theft of art by Nazis and the real Monuments Men. (And it will fill in some of the information gaps in Clooney's Monuments Men film.) Highly recommended.
May 26, 2014
Rebecca recommended on Netflix
March 30, 2014
This is an amazing documentary how the Nazis looted art throughout Europe. The documetnary is well edited and beautifly narrated by Joan Allen. It describes in great detail how famous works of art were stolen from museums and wealthy jewish families throughout Europe. If you love art lover and history this film is a must see. Sadly, most people in the theatre were in their 70's or 80's. This movie should be seen by younger generations to learn and understand history. Great interviews, pictures, and storytelling.
½ March 8, 2014
This has been on my watch list for some time, but has manged to fly under the radar -- so glad I finally bumped it up! A great look at the Nazi pro-art movement, the personal stories of those who lost art, the approach taken by governments to protect art, and the search and recovery of relics after battle - including looks at some of the members of the group that became the "Monuments Men." Anybody who enjoys art and/or WWII should check this out; or do what we have and view it in conjunction to seeing The Monuments Men. 4.5 stars
February 23, 2014
A happy, sad documentary. Some "pre Monument Men" items. It was a fascinating historical view on this subject.
February 15, 2014
I absolutely loved the ending of this documentary film!
February 6, 2014
"The Rape of Europa" is a must see if you love art and history. I'd say skip the Clooney film "Monuments Men" and watch this one instead.
½ February 4, 2014
Very good information that most people probably have no idea about. Makes you think about those paintings and sculptures you see at the museums and where they came from.
½ April 28, 2013
Amazing documentary. I recommend this to all as an important lesson in history.
March 2, 2013
The Rape of Europa is a fascinating documentary that tells of the story of the theft, destruction, and in some cases saving of art during World War II. Narrated by Joan Allen the film takes you through the Nazi plundering of paintings in Poland, France and other countries (especially by Nazi art collectors like Hitler and Goering) to the efforts by citizenry to save museum pieces in Paris and Leningrad, to the unfortunate destruction of Renaissance architectural wonders during allied bombings in Italy and the German army demolishing various important Russian structures in the east. It also goes into efforts that are still going on to track down pieces since missing, and tells of the work to give back personal effects to families of Jews, items the Nazis stole without thinking twice from people they considered inhuman.
All this is told with a delicate balancing act, reminding the viewer of the far greater tragedy of the war: the tens of millions of lives lost, most of them civilians. The misfortune of art during the war is not even close to that level of tragedy, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. Art is part of one's culture and means a lot to great number of people. This is a story that deserves to be told, and though maybe this documentary goes in a few too many directions I found it quite interesting to see this perspective of the War that people rarely talk about.
February 12, 2013
I wasn't aware of the extent of the Nazi's looting of art. A well made documentary, highly recommended for history buffs.
July 5, 2012
A great documentary on the history of artwork and where it travelled throughout Europe during the war thanks in no small part to the maniacal viewpoint of one Adolf Hitler. A nice companion piece to Burt Lancaster's The Train.
April 11, 2012
Absolutely fascinating. In my top 5 docs.
April 4, 2012
A very well made and informative documentary, although I believe that the amount of information of this piece required it to be a series documentary, as in a minimum of seven chapters/episodes (one per country) so that the information wouldn't be touched upon so vaguely.

Anyone interested will find the documentary a launching point towards further personal research.
April 4, 2012
Many things I didn't know about WWII and all the art that was lost or never retrieved. But we all know much of it is still in Swiss vaults.
February 14, 2012
2 September, 1939, Rape of Europa, World War II has started. Nearly all the countries in Europe are at war with Nazi Germany and their allies. USA has not entered and is staying out. The countries have that have fought and the countries that have stayed neutral are at both on the brink. One is on the brink of losing something very vital while the other is on the brink from disappearing. The film Rape of Europa captures this with art being very important and valuable to not only the people, but humanity. I was awed and struck by this documentary because it capture how real and deeper the war affected the lives of people in mostly Europe. This documentary only focuses on Europe and not in the Pacific. Identities, histories, and meaning are presented in the different styles of art that were made in country as they became affected in the war. With Nazi troops conquering nearly all of Europe, we see footage and hear stories how the Nazis were not only murderers, but were thieves, all concocted by the madness of Adolph Hitler. It is really something how Hitler orders and used propaganda to wipe certain humanity and culture from the face of the earth while having a number of people, mostly Jews, murdered. I was stricken with such surprise how the film captures the deepness of the people affected by the war. The film explores the controversies surrounding certain art and countries and how some wounds are still there. The case about Russia and the paintings the looted after achieving victory is certainly most interesting. I will say Rape of Europa is not only mesmerizing, but a very important film to watch. It is definitely unforgettable.
½ January 14, 2012
For me, the more interesting part of an already very good documentary, was the shifting in the last 45 minutes to the Monuments Men.