State's Evidence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

State's Evidence Reviews

June 6, 2015
This film deserves less than nothing.
December 2, 2013
this film is a powerful message of suicidal teens can do or any age actually. without giving anything away it has many messages that perhaps everyone should watch.
July 5, 2013
State's Evidence is a twisted, independent film, with a weird story, and an unbelievable ending. This film moves from one extreme to the other and really threw me for a curve, but the ending is so spectacular that it truly makes the whole movie worth while. Scott Byers (Douglas Smith) plays a young man who has decided to kill himself and if that wasn't bad enough he wants to do it on video for the world to see. Byers tells his friends of his plan and claims that once you know your fate, you are truly free to be yourself and do whatever your heart really desires. Not only does his group of introverted friends buy it hook, line, and sinker, but they ultimately decide to join him. The story eventually takes an ominous turn, when one of his friends darkest desires emerge, putting the whole group at serious risk. This film had a very low budget, so low in fact, that half of the film is shot by the actors themselves, on camcorder. It was a little stranger, but made for some interesting scenes. The cast is made up mostly of young actors who have little to no big screen experience, but you would never know it, because they were terrific. Movies like this can sometimes be a bit unpredictable and the solid performances given by the cast will really have you buying into ever emotion and situation their characters are feeling. Unfortunately, it's not all good news for State's Evidence, because while the beginning was intriguing and the ending was fantastic, the middle of the movie is very slow and seems to drag on, making it a challenge to even make it to the terrific ending. Most of this film chronicles a day in the life of a group of High School rejects and it most definitely has it moments. State's Evidence features a great young cast and an ending that will blow your mind, but parts of it drag on and the film felt a lot longer than it actually was and that's never a good sign.
½ September 30, 2012
This movie plot is refreshingly different, but the ending is very hard to watch.
June 13, 2012
soumds good i might have my parents rent it and + it has alexa vega in it :)) my fave actress
May 9, 2012
AMAZING!!! Kris Lemche has made my top ten favorite actors from this role.
November 12, 2011
AMAZING!!! Kris Lemche has made my top ten favorite actors from this role.
½ September 5, 2011
Seemed to be a very short-lived film. I found it on DVD as a new release at Blockbuster. A few months later I decided I wanted to give it another watch, but it had disappeared from the shelves of that store as well as every other I went to. I haven't heard so much as a mention of it in years. I personally enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Though it may be just another school shooting film to some, that's only the climax of the film and as far as I'm concerned only a minor plot point the rest of the film leads to. They way they show each of their reactions to knowing they'll be dead soon is interesting and sometimes quite disturbing.
½ May 5, 2011
Fantastic journey into the human psyche when the rules of life are taken away.
½ December 19, 2010
So bad that all three flatmate found ourselves screaming at the characters
September 25, 2009
sick film but i totally understand the idea tht if u knew u were goin to die then u wudnt b afrad of gettin punished for ur actions........great actin bwt they make it seem so real
April 10, 2009
HOLY SHIT!!!...went into this flick thinking i was going to go along for some kind of ride but damn, this was a great FN ride. Pushing the boundaries, that's what seperates the indie from the mainstream and this def. did that. What starts off as a single person offing himself turns into a pact between friends when they have their own reasons for going along with it. Kris Lemche was def. the star of the movie, his change from normal to just a psycho blew my mind. In a weird way, without giving away the end, just shows that something that may seem as simple as suicide when you add other "elements' can foil/alter a simple plan
½ February 15, 2009
Kool movie about 6 high school students commit suicide !!!
½ January 24, 2009
It thinks it's smart but it just rambles.
November 15, 2008
So messed up!! SO GOOD!! COULD NOT STOP WATCHING.
½ July 12, 2008
The director should have cut the group of main characters from 6 to 3 (Scott, Patrick, and Sandy) because the other 3 serve little purpose in the film. Not only that, they were shallow and irritating. There is some really good dialogue in the film, but there is also some really bad dialogue. Often tries to be too philosophical. Additionally, the entire premise of the film is a little too unbelievable for me - the film tries, but gives poor reasons as to why Scott's friends choose to go along with his plan. The Columbine shooting was probably primary influence for the creation of this, and as such this film can, at times, be disturbing.
June 14, 2008
Any movie featuring teen suicide is always going to be disturbing. Just the thought of writing a script around the subject makes me wonder why. State's Evidence touches on all matters including depression, mass murder and rape. Director Benjamin Louis and Writer Mark Brown have pushed the boundaries of movie making, in my opinion. Did we really need this movie on the shelf? Shades of Columbine High School shooting over again. Content will most definitely disturb. You'll have to make up your own mind.
June 8, 2008
It's a decent movie...good storyline and the characters were believable. Kinda like Elephant.
May 17, 2008
The best movie in my wole entire life!