Billy the Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Billy the Kid Reviews

November 30, 2012
My new favorite coming of age movie
June 18, 2011
Very honest documentary film which I enjoyed watching. Be sure to watch the bonus materials on the DVD to learn about the backstory to this film.
April 2, 2011
I needed a shot of tequila after watching this movie. It is incredible, but if you can sit through it without being as uncomfortable as you've ever been in your life, you're a stronger person than I am. WATCH HIS EYES. I don't think I've ever seen such an up-front kid, unafraid to express what's really going on inside himself. Only in the bonus materials do we learn what's "wrong" with him. Although, I'd argue there's nothing at all wrong with him. If more kids were like him, high school would not be such a cluster f--k experience. I hope there's a follow up, so we can see how Billy grows up.
November 11, 2010
it's basically a documentary about a 15 yrs old teenage kid. but there's more than just that. It captures the real life situation that most teenager have to face.
July 26, 2010
So many scenes in this movie are squirm inducingly awkward. Its a nice little slice of life but at the end of the day it isn't really anything special or outstanding.
July 6, 2010
This movie was great. It is a great slice of life film of a kid who is struggling in school grow up with his disability. Beautifully captured moments of first love, new friends and growing up. Billy, your one awesome dude.
June 20, 2010
"do teenagers always bite the heads off their elders?"
January 10, 2010
A documentary by Jennifer Venditti about a teenage boy in Maine who is "different" than most and his struggles in daily life in not so much as fitting in but simply being accepted. We can all see there is something more than emotional pain going on with Billy here, but the film-maker never gives up why. I think the why was needed, but perhaps not. That remains a each of our personal takes on this. If you want to know the "why" though she did add that card to special features.
October 13, 2009
"Do all teenagers bite the heads off their elders?" Aww Billy, the equvalient of teenage pain <3
½ October 10, 2009
I really liked this and wished there was more when it ended
August 14, 2009
Very sweet and endearing documentary with a great subject. I think anyone can relate with the awkwardness. My problem comes with how they dealt with one aspect of his life (his love for a girl) and we only gets bits and pieces of some really nice scenes. I think that to say this kid is "normal" is kind of a stretch, but that's not a bad thing and only adds to a feeling of being voyeuristic instead of just connecting with the subject. There are some priceless, very funny moments that carry you through the rough spots.
July 22, 2009
A look into the life of a 15 year old boy living in a small town in Maine. While over coming and work through emotional/physiological obstacles, it's an often powerful examination of the struggles from finding ones place in society, to making sense of first love. This documentary was heartfelt, funny, depressing, and above all, honest!!!
July 20, 2009
This documentary is touching, and Billy's awkwardness is fascinating to watch; but I'm not sure how truthful the film is itself. I feel like it's one of those documentaries when everything is a little bit different when the cameras are on.
June 14, 2009
Strangely captivating and interesting documentary. I really didn't think I was going to like this movie but I couldn't stop watching. A reminder of how awkward and fleeting young love can be and how uniquely naive and innocent we once were.
½ June 10, 2009
Great view of adolescence, perfectly captured in the unknowingly wise and open comments of Billy P. Despite all his "difference" this movie only proves that he is not that different from other kids his age after all, he is just better able to relate what he thinks and feels, sometimes so much that it's hard to watch.
½ April 2, 2009
strangely mesmerising portrayal of billy - a unique and endearing teenage boy with the wordly wisdom of a middle-age man coupled with the wide eyed wonder of a teenager trying to find his way through life. a generally heartwarming documentary that provides a glimpse into the life of a troubled but ultimately gifted boy that holds you in its grip for the full running time thanks to its spellbinding central subject.
½ March 29, 2009
Cinematic genius. Venditti would have been hard-pressed to direct any better. Extremely authentic, but also funny without coming off as an insult to Billy. Relationships fostered between Billy and other characters are articulated brilliantly in the production.
March 13, 2009
extremely intimate, honest and humane description of our life.