The Attic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Attic Reviews

January 29, 2016
Moss is the only reason this film is any good. Story was okay but could've been a little better I did enjoy the final scenes but that very last ending was way too cliche...
March 13, 2015
I really enjoyed The Attic. Emma starts to see a ghost who looks just like her, and this ghost is angry and on a rampage. A really decent mystery builds up here, to, unfortunately, a predictable ending.
½ April 11, 2014
An uneventful, unscary haunted house film, The Attic starts off well for the first few minutes but then quickly devolves into a snooze-fest.
½ January 30, 2014
Don't too excited for The Attic because of the director Mary Lambert (Pet Sematary.) It will only let you down.
September 18, 2013
or as I liked to call it... "How Not To Make A Horror Movie 101"
April 12, 2013
The script has some interesting ideas but is far too underdeveloped, and Mary Lambert is an atrocious director - she showed minimal promise with Pet Sematary - not a good movie itself, but at least it appeared she had some sense of how to make visuals work for the film. Elisabeth Moss is the saving grace here - she anchors everything with a robust, nuanced performance - she is so much better than the material she is working with. And it is always nice to see Catherine Mary Stewart.
½ March 15, 2013
Poor acting, terrible story and what is the movie about?!?! Boring
½ January 22, 2013
Almost a decent atmospheric horror film, except Elisabeth Moss's often misguided acting really hurts the film. This was also the movie that allowed Tom Malloy to make the equally flawed "The Alphabet Killer", which also had promise but a very problematic script. Mary Lambert's directing is another sad affair. For all her credits, you'd think directing films for 2 decades would mean she was getting better - not worse. Of course the worst offender of "The Attic" is the composer's uninspired, insipid, and too often annoying score. There's good underneath with this movie, but... it is under a lot of dead bodies to push aside first.
½ April 25, 2012
Terrible acting and just terrible all around
½ January 29, 2012
This movie was so terrible I wanted to shoot myself halfway through. Added to my list of worst movies. To see John Savage in this hurt me terribly. PLEASE don't waste your time.
½ November 24, 2011
November 1, 2011
pure awfulness. a waste of $1.
September 7, 2011
I love that both Daddario (why I watched it - all round love her) and Elisabeth Moss (I think she's a great actress in Mad Men) are in this shitty, low budget horror film; clearly from when they were both starting out their careers.

It really is an awful film though - the story is pathetically poor, the way it's shot just terrible, and the acting cheesy (put even excellent actors/actresses in a shit film and they'll often come out looking bad; case in point - The Happening).

The only redeeming factor is the presence of Daddario and Moss. That's it.

I watched the end in Italian as my English link cut out, but I got the jist of the conclusion. May go back and watch that final 5 minutes in English, not sure.
½ July 28, 2011
A very interesting story\plot, but very slow-paced with some bad acting.
½ July 3, 2011
one of the worse movies i have ever seen. watched the whole thing dont really know the point of it.
½ July 1, 2011
I suppose I shouldn't expect too much from a movie that came in a box set I paid five euros for, but holy damn is this bad. The plot is all over the place, the movie seems to make up rules on the go and none of the acting is interesting in the slightest. I wasn't even drunk and me and Rin just couldn't stop laughing about the sillyness of this movie. We'll miss ya, Fappy.
½ May 9, 2011
This emotionless drivel looked like a college student film shot on a camcorder with a cast of non-actors. The opening scene was horrible, disjointed and nonsensical. What followed was one of the worst ten minutes in cinema I've ever experienced. I'm happier for having pressed the "stop" button on the remote and doing something else instead. Avoid this movie at all costs!
April 17, 2011
All bad reviews on this one, so a pass for me.
November 4, 2010
I could smell that ending from a mile away. First of all, all the characters make sure you know Emma is crazy, so the ending shouldn't be a suprise. Unfortunately, I don't think the filmmakers got the memo which said, the ending should ALWAYS be a suprise. Second, what was with the acting? It was horrible all around and they're all seasoned actors. Lastly, why was there no suspense? There weren't any cheap thrills either, which could have been the films saving grace.