The Attic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Attic Reviews

½ September 16, 2010
Almost a decent atmospheric horror film, except Elisabeth Moss's often misguided acting really hurts the film. This was also the movie that allowed Tom Malloy to make the equally flawed "The Alphabet Killer", which also had promise but a very problematic script. Mary Lambert's directing is another sad affair. For all her credits, you'd think directing films for 2 decades would mean she was getting better - not worse. Of course the worst offender of "The Attic" is the composer's uninspired, insipid, and too often annoying score. There's good underneath with this movie, but... it is under a lot of dead bodies to push aside first.
August 7, 2010
With an odd filming style and low budget special effects, "The Attic" deserves but one star... And that is only half of the story!

First of all, the begging scene is just about the most suspenseful in the movie. Other then that, the acting is nothing special, the scenes are hardly scary, the characters are unlikeable, the plot is full of holes, and the situation is not captivating. And the "scariest" thing about this movie is the fact that you have just wasted your time and money to rent/buy this movie.
July 19, 2010
I watched this hoping it had something to do with the 1980's The Attic film.. which it most certainly did not. lame.
½ July 11, 2010
The Attic is a rollercoaster. It starts down low and then works its way up and then flys downward in a spiral. It repeats this a coulple times until crashing into the ground and bursting into flames.
½ June 4, 2010
Easily the worst film I've seen in a long time and quite possibly the worst I've ever sat through. Terrible acting and editing with poor camera angles and directing (and from someone who directed 'Pet Cemetary' I would expect better). The plot, if there was one, was terrible and while it seemed like it might have a good conclusion in the end it was a total mess and went nowhere leaving so many unanswered questions. Overall it was awful and I wouldn't advise anyone to sit through such garbage.
ElCochran90
½ April 28, 2010
So horrible, that if this flick had a face, it would be scarier and more repulsive than the one obtained by combining Leatherface and Vincent Price in The House of Wax.

13/100
April 9, 2010
Not bad if there is nothing else to watch. The spirit is a doppelganger. I guess like a poltergeist, who doesn't want anyone in the house. Elizabeth Ross is a good actor. She was in "Mad Men".
½ December 1, 2009
Strange movie, it's always the house, yeah right!
November 19, 2009
I highly respect Tom Malloy for getting films made. He's a real genius on producing, but his writing and acting leave something to be desired. The scariness of The Attic suffers from Emma's fear of going outside. More problems exist, to many to name.
November 15, 2009
shitttyy, low budget film.
½ November 3, 2009
Nothing I'd Buy, Rent or Watch ever again
November 1, 2009
good for mood, but the plot fails to deliver.
½ October 31, 2009
Where do I start? Um, storyline needed a lot of work. Acting was horrible. Yuck.
October 27, 2009
Oh my. So bad. And yet...I wanted to see if my predictions were correct....so there was pull enough to finish. But yet...so bad. And the ending...very ending...Really?? REALLY?? hmmm.... That's your explanation??!
October 2, 2009
Confusion total en estra pelicula si aguantas sabras q lo q pasa de lo contario te volvera loco
September 3, 2009
The script has some interesting ideas but is far too underdeveloped, and Mary Lambert is an atrocious director - she showed minimal promise with Pet Sematary - not a good movie itself, but at least it appeared she had some sense of how to make visuals work for the film. Elisabeth Moss is the saving grace here - she anchors everything with a robust, nuanced performance - she is so much better than the material she is working with. And it is always nice to see Catherine Mary Stewart.
½ August 28, 2009
Can I give negative stars? Wow, this was worse than a kick to the junk.
All the other reviews do a good job warning to forego this cinematic enema. I find it hard to believe that anyone thought this was a good idea EXCEPT for the writer, who play the autistic dude in the movie... I bet his parents ponied up the money for the house and for Catherine Mary Stewart ( why have you foresaken me oh Last Starfighter?) and the dude that played Samantha's man toy on Sex in the City to appear (yes, they don't even act, they are just in the movie.)
The real acting is left to John Savage and Elizabeth Moss. Apparently, they earnestly believe this was MacBeth (what was with the kiss?) and gave it their all, but their all was nothing more than scenery chewing and yelling the F-bomb enough times for an R rating.
My family will pay for picking this up and then insisting I watch...
July 8, 2009
A marginally competent cast struggles to make something of a poor script. A solid if familiar premise and a few chills, but mostly amateurish.
½ May 29, 2009
God, terrible, the acting was terrible, the movie, and the dialog. Low Budget movies are not to good are they?