Americanizing Shelley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Americanizing Shelley Reviews

September 30, 2012
An American talent agent on the rise is given a chance to get his revenge on the man he worked for by turning his arranged wife into a smasher star in the making. Obnoxious comedy based on the usual story that turns an ugly woman into a knocker by untying her hair and taking off her glasses; some terrible racial stereotypes are thrown in the mix.
November 11, 2011
This film has offended me on so many levels, it is amazing! The only thing mildly good about the film is that Gujral looks beautiful on screen, but that is hardly any saving grace when I found out that she was also the writer!

To start of, the filmmakers conveniently assume that the audience has no clue what so ever about India and her culture, ancient or contemporary. The filmmakers are able to trivialize every aspect of Indian culture they reference. In this global world with so much interaction between countries and cultures it is appalling to see such trivialization of Indian culture. It is hard to believe that Indians were associated with this film, this film is able to show Indians in a worser light than what Peter Sellers was able to do with his fake Indian accent.

The story, direction and acting in this film is awful. Its amazing that the film was even released. i hope Gujral does not ever write a script, at least nothing that even remotely deals with India. Just an awful film.
½ October 27, 2011
the ole fish out water tale is redeaux with the fish called shelley (sorry couldn't resist the puns) with an indian girl in the USA-hollywood usa 2b exact!
December 13, 2010
I just wacthed this Movie to see Red Hot Curry !!
½ October 17, 2009
was really an adorable movie ... would love to see again.
May 5, 2009
Compared to all the other crap I've been watching lately, this was actully a step in the right direction.
½ January 14, 2009
Romantic comedy, not great, but not so bad. A cute movie to watch if you are bored.
January 2, 2009
Bad writing, bad acting...just bad. Don't even bother.
November 9, 2008
Actors I've never heard of, but somehow these cinderella stories works for me everytime...
November 4, 2008
Oh man, what a load of crappola. Not quite sure why I watched till the end but I did....and it didnt improve!!
November 3, 2008
Hey it was totally predictable (but aren't most romantic comedies) But enjoyable way to spend a couple of hrs
October 30, 2008
Cute but seen before
October 20, 2008
oh, yeah this one...well see it if you really must
August 31, 2008
Predictable but cute
August 26, 2008
Ok movie. I like Namrata Singh Gujral!
August 12, 2008
really funny movie..every indian should watch it :) REAL FUN
½ August 9, 2008
Just watched it - sweet feel-good movie with a nice mix of Indian/American elements.
½ July 29, 2008
A fun movie to watch in a lazy day...not one of the best by far but has its funny moments.
July 22, 2008
This was funny :) And feel-good..
June 8, 2008
Funny, if you enjoy Indian movies you'll like this one.