Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shelter Reviews

November 30, 2016
If you haven't see this movie, you absolutely should. It is the best gay movie out there and so much more than JUST a gay movie.
½ July 15, 2016
Really a great film. Good chemistry. Some parts have an odd pace, but it's a movie I have re-watched more than once.
June 10, 2015
Absolutely love this movie
March 30, 2015
amazing film great cast loved it
March 9, 2015
Beautiful movie. The acting, directing, setting, and music are absolutely mesmerizing! Completely off the charts, in my opinion. I can't believe that the budget for this film was only $500K! Awesome!
February 28, 2015
exceptional movie. heartfelt. characters and music are memorable.
September 27, 2014
This was a really interesting movie in terms of coming of age, sexuality, and even surfers. grin. It is a worth a watch
August 30, 2014
A sweet movie.Not very powerful,but with very good performances and a nice story.
July 26, 2014
Fairly basic. Wright does the best acting job. There isn't too much substance to it.
June 5, 2014
still my go to movie to uplift myself :)
½ March 14, 2014
The people's movie...I also loved this movie but do recognize it was probably for the wrong reasons!
February 23, 2014
If you overlook the cliche script, you will see a heartfelt flick, decent performances and a really good gay romance movie.
February 22, 2014
Very nicely done gay love story with a positive ending for once.
January 4, 2014
Aw;) So happy to be happy;)
½ October 28, 2013
Standard poorly acted gay flick. Bit too mushy for my liking but maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind watching it!
September 14, 2013
O problema principal de Shelter é sua história não ter um ápice, o filme todo parece monótono demais, sem grande acontecimentos. Com menos de 90 minutos o espectador não conhece direito nem Zach, o protagonista da história, o que torna o filme inteiro um pouco superficial demais. O final é previsível em alguns pontos, mas eu realmente não achava que a criança iria ficar com eles enquanto a mãe vai morar em outro estado com o namorado. em um certo nível, o relacionamento de Zach e Shaun pula inúmeras etapas e vai direito para uma adoção, o que não se encaixa muito com um filme que passa metade do tempo mostrando um personagem que possui conflitos internos sobre como se sentir.
August 21, 2013
A film about direction, family problems and finding what you want out of life... Thankfully gay cinema rules do not apply here as this isn't some campy gay crap; full of men in hot-pants! Admittedly the movie is built on a central character who feels trapped in his life and seemingly uncertain of his sexuality... It does rub a little close on the corny side, but I was never bored when watching!
½ July 16, 2013
Shelter; a sweet low-budget picture about a young guy freshly graduated from high school and longs to become an art student, yet is trapped by a financially dependent sister and her son. We meet Zach (Trevor Wright) when he is coming to the end of a break with his long-term girlfriend Tori (Katie Walder), yet Zach doesn't appear to pay much affection to her. At the same time, his best friends' bro Shuan (Brad Rowe) is back in town to get over a break-up and they catch up on the surf. They continue to bond until a drunken tickle fight leads to Shuan making a move, causing Zach to come to his sense about what he truly wants.
The film goes on to show the development of Zach and Shuan's relationship and Zach's struggle of looking after his nephew while trying to avoid suspicion from his sister Jeanne (Tina Holmes,) and also questioning whether or not to reply apply to art college.
The strength of Shelter is Zach's relatable portrayal of a young man coming to terms with his sexuality and question how the hell is he supposed to make it work without his life falling apart.
In retrospect, despite Zach's harsh home life, he is quite lucky in the way that he does not come up against much homophobia (except a few anti-gay role model remarks from his low-life sister), especially considering the fact that he was sleeping with his best mates brother. People are not often so lucky!
All in all the movie has some great morals including work hard at what you enjoy doing, provide for your family and be with the person who makes you happy.
This film is great for people who like to be left with a warm fuzzy feeling while the credits role!
½ April 15, 2013
cheesy but adorable and fun
March 18, 2013
The first half was really boring. Seemed pretty adrift. Second half was much better with character development and hard choices. I think surfing was supposed to be a metaphor for something although I'm not really sure what it was.